Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Ordering

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SlySol 
#1 ·
Hi.

Forgive me if this question has been answered somewhere but I couldn't find it...

I went to the dealer yesterday to order a Solstice and was told that they had an allocation for me to order but that I had to wait until November 1st. Does this make sense?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Actually, I would say no, it doesn't make any sense. If the dealer has a spot left in his first four month allocation, he should be able to take your order (and your deposit money) now, spec out the order in the computer, and get a VOMs order number assigned to the order. It may take until November 1st or later before GM "pulls" that allocation forward into GM for production (order accepted by GM), if that is when the dealer expects that car to be allocated, but it shouldn't prevent the dealer from starting the order process on his end.

I suspect that the dealer doesn't have any spots left in his first four month allocation, and expects to hear on November 1st what his second four month allocation will be. If that is the case, he should just be upfront with you that you are in the second four month allocation, and your car will probably not get delivered until the spring.

In the "turn and earn" allocation process, it is to the dealer's benefit to have as many of his existing allocation orders sold as possible, since the more he sells, the more vehicles he is likely to get in his next allocation.

#4 ·
Thank you. I thought it was a tad odd as well. He claims I would see the car in January. Not sure how much faith I have in that. He did have 3 coming in in December but all 3 had cloth interiors so I wasn't interested. The strange thing is that the dealer didn't seem to be deceitful. I suspect there is a certain amount of confusion in play here.

#5 · (Edited)
There is confusion and miscommunication as well. Some dealers would just take your order even if there are numerous orders in front of yours. That is also happening and that is unfair (who knows when that order might be delivered). I would agree with above assumptions about second allocations which will, I understand, be clarified soon. That's probably what he's referring to. His eta may be optimistic but I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

#7 ·
If it is the case that I have a spot in the second allocation, isn't the dealer presuming that they will actually get that second allocation? I'm guessing that this is not a forgone conclusion.

I'm just trying to decide whether I need to check with some other more distant dealers to see if I can get something more concrete. I happen to like the dealer I've been talking to and would like to be fair as well. He also happened to be kind enough to show me a beautiful Green Solstice that he had already sold, prepped, and was about to deliver.

Thanks for the input guys.

#8 ·
Yeah, it sounds a little strange. The dealer could place your order in the VOMs system at anytime, so that doesn't make much sense.
Do we know if dealers have their 2nd allocation numbers yet? Perhaps this is what he's waiting for - in which case he shouldn't tell you he has a spot until he knows for sure. Definately go in and ask the questions. Good luck.

#9 ·
Just ask teh dealer the following questons to give you a better idea of where things stand ...

Which allocation would my order fall into (first or second)?
How many cars are you allocated for that period?
How many other orders do you already have in line for that allocation?
Do you know when my order would be "picked up" by GM?

If he does indeed have a spot in the first allocation available, then it's not entirely impossible that your order could be picked up in November and could be seen arriving early next year. (Dealers should know approximately when their next order would be picked up, but probably wouldn't know more than a month or so out.) Just keep in mind that there have been some issues with production and shipping so don't expect his estimates to be entirely accurate. Also, make sure you get your expected price in writing ahead of time and hopefully, it's MSRP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.