Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet this has already and long ago been discussed ad nauseum, but could anyone chime in or refer me to the ultimate thread on the worthiness of the GM Turbo Ugrade, that ran $600 when it first came out. How much is the dealer labor for the installation and calibration. Sorry I'm four years late, but I just bought the GXP Coupe yesterday.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
The reason for being worth it was that you got a tune, and it was covered by the cars warranty and it didn't void any of the other warranties on the car.

Now that any of the warranties are pretty much expired, it's not "worth" as much as before.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveOC -- That makes sense. Is it worth $500, plus dealer labor? The GXP I'm picking up tomorrow has 13,000 miles and is stock to the bone.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
You definitely want to get an upgrade tune done to enjoy the potentials of the GXP!
Not only more HP, but the added Torque is wonderful fun! AND you'll get better mileage.
I've averaged 28mpg over 16,000 miles with the coupe with only the GMPP tune.
With all the other types of aftermarket tunes out there at lower cost than the GM one,
I'd look into those to enhance the Fun Factor of that new coupe.
Also, welcome to the Coupe Club!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You definitely want to get an upgrade tune done to enjoy the potentials of the GXP!
Not only more HP, but the added Torque is wonderful fun! AND you'll get better mileage.
With all the other types of aftermarket tunes out there at lower cost than the GM one,
But, once again, is it worth the money? How much should labor cost? And when you said "an upgrade tune", were you talking about the tune that comes with the Turbo Upgrade, or some other aftermarket tune? Thanks. And thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But, once again, is it worth the money? How much should labor cost? And when you said "an upgrade tune", were you talking about the tune that comes with the GM Turbo Upgrade, or some other aftermarket tune? Thanks. And thanks for the welcome

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
But, once again, is it worth the money? How much should labor cost? And when you said "an upgrade tune", were you talking about the tune that comes with the GM Turbo Upgrade, or some other aftermarket tune? Thanks. And thanks for the welcome
I feel it was worth the money when I originally purchased the cars and had the dealer install it. I believe it was around $840 installed back then.
Regarding the Tune, there are stages to the different aftermarket ones.
With the GMPP Upgrade tune it takes you from 260hp to 290hp, and torque goes from 260 to 340 ft/lbs.
You'd have to research what the aftermarket ones can offer. With a stage 1 you could take it to around the same as the GM one. But by going to a stage 2 and beyond will take upgrading the charge tubes and intercooler...
Keep using the Search function above to help!!:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
DaveOC -- That makes sense. Is it worth $500, plus dealer labor? The GXP I'm picking up tomorrow has 13,000 miles and is stock to the bone.
Only you can answer that question. The GMPP parts and GM installed tune is the only one that preserves your warranty. Pretty much all the coupes still have about a year left on the power train warranty.

Most GM dealers are going to grab you at least 2 hours to install the tune plus some more time if you have them install the sensors. It'll cost you a total of $800 to $900.

Only you can put a value on the continued warranty.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
CED sells the improved kit for $500

Labor ranges from 90 to 120 minutes. Dealers rates vary from $100 to $150 per hour.

The GMPP tune plus a high flow cat can deliver 300+ WHP and 350+ WT.

The GMPP tune installation and parts are warrantied for a year.

The GMPP tune does not impact your factory warranty.

Other tunes can be about half the price.

Other tunes can and have resulted in denial of warranty service.

Other tunes are provided by remote, small businesses that may or may not support you in the event of any issues.

You have to decide if guaranteed warranty and support are worth it to you.

I chose the GMPP tune for both our Kappas and have been very happy with the piece of mind the full warranty affords and with the performance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thanks, men. Is the installation of sensors optional or madatory? I must admit I don't know what you're talking about. And, if it has to be done, I sure as heck can't do it....

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
OK, thanks, men. Is the installation of sensors optional or madatory? I must admit I don't know what you're talking about. And, if it has to be done, I sure as heck can't do it....
The GMPP tune "kit" includes 2 new sensors and a certificate needed for the dealership to enable them to download the tune from GM onto your car's ECM (computer).

If you order it from Crate Engine Depot, you also will get a couple of cable adapters which greatly ease the installation of the sensors (no cutting/stripping/connecting wires in the wiring harness). Everything just plugs together neatly and securely.

Yes the sensors must be installed in order for the tune to work correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Ron,

I work in Timonium across from the Fair Grounds. Let me know if you want to meet some time. I had the GMPP tune and loved it. I can give you some knowledge dump from owning a Solstice for 6 years.

Derek

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ron,

I work in Timonium across from the Fair Grounds. Let me know if you want to meet some time. I had the GMPP tune and loved it. I can give you some knowledge dump from owning a Solstice for 6 years.

Derek
Thanks! PM sent.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
I'm looking into this Im not excited about how much i'll be paying for the premium gas which is at 3.99 at this time Can you tune in with 87octane
If you don't want to pay for premium gasoline, and you want to use 87 octane, then don't get a tune.

If you do get a tune, and then continue to run 87 octane, be prepared to replace very expensive parts of your engine.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
I'm looking into this Im not excited about how much i'll be paying for the premium gas which is at 3.99 at this time Can you tune in with 87octane
It's a false economy. If you don't use premium, the ECU will pull timing and you'll get worse gas mileage. Not to mention the damage you may do, and the fact that getting a performance tune doesn't make sense if you're not going to make use of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts