Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need informations about the original Solstice 2.0 GXP starter battery.
Best part Numbers, exact size or interchange types / numbers.

My battery shop here in Germany have misplaced my battery and the stuff they sell here will not fit
in to the battery tray. Also flat top batterys are very uncommon on the side of the big pond.

Thanks so much!

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
group 86 is the OEM battery.
A group 25 also fits.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you !

how many AMPs?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Stinger dry cell is the only way to go. Massive amps less weight. 0 liquid or gel in them. They last over 12 years with the battery in the engine compartment, where the solstices battery is located it should last at least 20

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
GROUP 75, 86 - 1300 AMP SPP SERIES DRY CELL STARTING OR SECONDARY BATTERY W/ PROTECTIVE STEEL CASE
SKU: SPP1300C
OEM Mounting including GM and other Group 75/86 vehicles
$519.99

Yikes!!

·
Super Moderator
7,537 Posts
$500+ for a battery is slightly more than slightly ludicrous.

·
Registered
363 Posts
$500+ for a battery is slightly more than slightly ludicrous.
While I don't disagree, you've clearly never priced out a Braille Micro-Lite if you think $500 is expensive.

·
Super Moderator
7,537 Posts
While I don't disagree, you've clearly never priced out a Braille Micro-Lite if you think $500 is expensive.
I didn't call it expensive, I called it ludicrous, because the discussion is about a battery for a street car..

$500 for a street car battery that provides no real added value is proportionally more expensive than $900 for a "spare no expense" ultra-light racing battery that does provide some value because of the application.

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK so think about it this way. conventional battery good for 3-5 years, cost 150 ish, AGM battery (gel cell "optima") good for 4-6 years, cost 250ish. Stinger dry cell good for 12+ years, cost 250 ish.

You have to remember yoou do not need to buy a stinger battery using the group size. a group 25 battery is approximately 650 cranking amps. a stinger battery that has the same cranking amps is only 259. and it weighs a whole lot less then a typical group 25 battery!!!!

Sounds better now huh??.. well the other thing is that an AGM battery or a conventional battery really shouldn't be drawn down past 10 volts. It causes damage to the plates when it gets charged back up. it can only do this a few times before the battery is not going to be reliable. a Stinger battery is able to be drawn down to as low as 2 volts and recover with no damage, it can do this many more times then an AGM or a conventional. Another thing is a dry cell battery is not effected by the cold like an AGM or a conventional. It is rated to some crazy -40 or -50 C or something like that I would have to look it up to be exact. It's internal resistance is crazy low. this means it charges faster and it can also discharge faster. and when flash discharging it is able to deliver close to twice it's rated amperage.

I am not a sales person for the company, I just have lots of experience with these batteries. They are hands the best battery for the dollar I have come across. they last at least twice as long for close to the same price. and even if you did buy the 500 dollar one. you will be replacing 2 optimas if not 3 in the lifetime of a stinger battery. so long haul it's cheaper. and being that the battery is located where it is in the solstice not having to change it as often is worth the money!!!

It is really easy to see the value in buying one once you have the information above. and with my dealings with the company in the past for some crazy reason if you do have an issue within the warranty period you don't get this pro-rated BS. you send them your battery, they send you a new one. The posts on the battery and not lead either. so no more cauliflower.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This one has a smaller footprint then a group 25 and can also be used. It's a 950 cranking amp battery.

for 315.00

This is the one I use in my vehicles. again smaller footprint then a group 25
priced at 413.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I didn't call it expensive, I called it ludicrous, because the discussion is about a battery for a street car..

$500 for a street car battery that provides no real added value is proportionally more expensive than $900 for a "spare no expense" ultra-light racing battery that does provide some value because of the application.
Who said it was for a street car? Or that OP didn't mind spending a little extra coin to upgrade whether he needed the upgrade it or not? The significant majority of owners here have upgraded their cars beyond what they require for no reason other than they enjoy tweaking and customizing them as part of a hobby/lifestyle. Norm has built an entire business around it for goodness sake.

I fear once again John you've gone out of your way to twist words of someone who was obviously agreeing with you (but has also not agreed with you on everything in the past) so that you could turn a post into another "I'm smarter than you and let me show you" post. Not the behavior that anyone should deserve or expect from a moderator here.

Anyway...

In addition to kgschlosser's points above, many of these cars are also stored for long periods of time. Spending a little extra on a quality lithium battery that will hold a charge for a year without need for a battery maintainer should be a no-brainer for some. Others will enjoy the weight savings that an upgrade will provide them.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I have never seen the need to look for a 'better' battery. My factory battery lasted 10 years without faltering before I wimped out and replaced it just because I figured it was time. Can't ask better than that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
no need to be turning this discussion into a cheerio pissing contest. LOL..
I like a good debate. It allows us to explore the reasons as to why something is worth it. It's a good way to get important use case information out. I see all over this forum a lot of people installing all kinds of mods and upgrades. but not a huge amount of reviews about pros and cons. or how is the upgrade doing after a few years. Quality is really important. as is the company that makes the product. whether or not they have been helpful and stand behind their product. These are all important things that aide in a decision making process.

Knowledge is power. hands down. The more people I am able to offer my experiences and information to the happier I am. It is important to be armed with knowledge when making a decision, it doesn't matter what the decision is because we do not know the dynamics of what made the decision. We will know that the information given is going to allow a person to make a decision that best suits their needs. And always remember.. "Opinions are like @55 holes everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks!!!", you may not like what is being stated. and you may not agree with it. DO respect it. And one better is to ask questions to better understand. There could be reasons you are not aware of, and ya never know.... it could change your view.

@JohnWR has the right to make whatever comments he wishes.. Those comments are made because of a lack of knowledge and understanding and experience with the product... Now I could get defensive or upset... this would be a complete waste of time because it doesn't help anyone, the OP or @JohnWR. Instead I choose to provide an education and personal experience. Things that will allow a user to reevaluate previous statements.

This is the reason why I stated that Stinger batteries do not have lead posts. nothing is worse then opening up the hood on a really nice car to see a battery that opened up a farm stand under the hood. I know that most have fought with this issue at one time or another. Most Solstice owners keep their vehicles in top condition and this is one of the things that can aid in doing that.

It is all perceived value when it comes to buying something. I see value in not having to replace a battery every 3-5 years because of having to take the fender off. This makes it worth the extra money to not have to do it that often. Also knowing that when my car does sit for 2 months if the battery has been drained I know that I will be able to jump start the thing and not cause damage to the battery because it is designed to go through some 400 deep drain cycles (down to 2 volts) and still work. This is worth it to me. I also live at 8500 feet in the Rocky mountains of Colorado. it gets to -20F here in the winter, it can be this temperature for a month. I don't drive my car in the winter. but if I had to i wouldn't have to worry about the battery having an issue because of the cold.

I use this battery in my other vehicles for one simple reason.. "Happy wife happy life" having the Mrs. stuck in a parking lot somewhere because the car wouldn't start is not exactly going to make her happy. Now that right there is the single most important reason and also the one that has the most value!!!!

I look at it this way, when I do want to go out for a drive on a beautiful 80 degree day with the top down and I am unable to because of a dead battery..... hmmm that 100 bucks extra would have been worth it. peace of mind has no set dollar amount.

I can tell you that these batteries have been around for 28 years. I was working with the company when they first released then (when I was 17) the company has not gone out of business so the product they make is of good quality. In fact Stinger is a division of AAMP of America. Peripheral Electronics (PAC Audio), Phoenix Gold, iSimple...all the same company.. They are the largest electronics supplier for automotive. The company is HUGE. Stinger is only one division.

I built the worlds loudest car audio system. It held the record for 10 years. It was powered by 16 stinger batteries and a stinger high output (300 amp) alternator. never had an issue with these components after hundreds of competitions. and many more times of running it to set things up. not 1 bad battery in the 10 years of extreme abuse that we gave to them. Abuse they would not see in normal use this is why I state it should last 20 years in a solstice possibly more. My Solstice still has the OE battery in it. 13 years old. It is going to be getting changed before winter because it is quite swelled. so if a battery that is made to last 3-5 years is able to last 13 in the solstice how long would a stinger battery last? probably 30-40.. LOL

These things may not be important to the OP, but maybe they are. I know that they are to me. and if you are of the male gender and have a wife I sure as hell know that the one is important to you. 100 bucks to not get yelled out because the wife had to sit in a parking lot.. SOLD!!!

All I can do is share my experiences with the product and the company. which are both fantastic experiences. As with anything there has to be some cons. and there is but 1. You cannot charge these batteries with a normal trickle type of battery charger you need to use a pulse charger. But then Optima batteries are the same way. Most people do not know this about Optima batteries. There is a special charge procedure to ensure the battery does not overheat and have damage caused to it. I wonder how many people know this about Optima batteries?? You can also recover a seemingly dead battery that will not hold a charge. This holds true for both Optima and Stinger. There is yet again another way to charge them to bring them back to life when they will not take a charge.

So here is some more education.. This does not apply to any single manufacturer. Use this when making a purchase.
Whatever battery you decide to purchase this is the best information I can give you.. go into you auto parts store and they have the "good, better and best" categories.. these categories really mean

good: too small and will just barely start your car. will last 2 years if you are lucky you may get 3 years
better:still too small and will start your car fine as long as it's not cold out. will last 3-4 years so long as you are not in a cold climate
best: correct size for your car will last 4-5 years

there is a 4th grade of battery. the 4th grade is not known by most and they typically do not have them displayed. they are hidden in back. These batteries cost on average 30 - 40 bucks more then the "best" grade. they are Sealed Absorbent Glass Mat batteries (AGM). The same technology as Optima with a lower price tag. These will last 6-7 years on average.

Unless you are buying a specialty battery like the Stinger or Optima buy a battery that fits the battery tray and is the same height as the OE battery. Do not by a battery that is the same as what is in the car. Ever notice that OE batteries don't fill the battery tray anymore?? Think OE..anything to save a penny... It is always in your best interest to get out the measuring tape and measure. This is going to ensure that you get the proper battery for the car. A battery with a higher cranking amp is going to endure less wear and tear and will last longer. If you tighten the negative terminal all the way yet it is still loose, you have the wrong size battery in your car, PERIOD! Never use adapters or stuff a washer between the terminal and post.. No chewing gum wrappers or aluminum foil either!.. I have even seen a 1/2" copper pipe (kind used for plumbing in the house), if I was in a pickle this is how I would go about it. This is only a temporary solution and should NEVER be left this way! A bad connection at your battery WILL cook your alternator and can possibly cause issus with other electronics in the car because of the surging in the electrical system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts