Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we almost went to the dark side last night....we are a first 4 month allocation order.....3 of 5..the first two have been preferenced...ours is next...my quess sometime this month.....but we were getting anxious to drive the roadster....so we stopped by the local mazda dealer who had 6 new MX-5s on the lot....to include one of the 3rd generation MX-5s....words for a limited edition....1-750...only comes in red..with custom wheels and chrome accents and sport suspension...

now lets say neither of us are sport car enthusiasts, I want a car for style, feel, comfort, touring and options I dont really care about the 0-60 times, the lateral g's on the skid pad, etc since it will never see an autocross..or be driven insanely!....we are empty nesters looking for a fun car...the solstice is it.....we ordered it sight unseen like everyone else here..but was just getting a little antsy over the wait...thus we test drove the MX-5....same color combination as our Sol.....sly with black interior...the MX-5 had all the options of the Solstice less XM radio and upgraded sound system...

our first visual impression of the MX-5..was..it sure looks small with a flat front slope for a front end and wheel well flares that make it look odd form the front....the cockpit....we seemed "compressed" in.....Im 6 foot 220.....wife is average size....me 49 she 46.....there was plenty of leg room on both the drivers and passengers side...but we were literally shoulder to shoulder in the car and the seats fit....well too tight is the only way I can describe them...I felt like I needed a shoe horn to get into them so to speak...it was optioned nicely...6 spd manual, A/C, power, cruise. sport suspension, 17inch chrome wheels, with a MSRP of 24,095. Top operation was simple...press a button release one latch..and slide it back....but to lock it in place you have to stand outside the car to do it..it locks in place behind the seats..giving a nice clean smooth look....roll bars and wind screen in place....the salesman stated the car recommends premium fuel....and should get around 30 MPG...I doubted that mileage but let them continue....the test drive was good.....like I said..not a sports car enthusiast, but the car drove nicely..had plenty of power to our liking...as my wife told me...it can get out of its own way....and the trunk space was nice....BTW....they have no spare tire either..it comes with the fix a flat can as well.... Interior....simple..easy to read and reach controls...all in all a nice little car....but it just simply seemed to small in appearance and the interior to our liking...thus we began to worry about the solstice...

Then we had the opportunity to see a F1k car...#506..thanks to Doug (the owner) in Laurel MD....he invited us over to the dealership...as he was showing the car off there for four hours this afternoon....we were there early...and watched as the solstice turned into the lot...WOW..is what I heard my wife say...my mine is made up.....this car is so impressive in person...just in looks alone it beats the MX-5 hands down...no comparison....and though the specs of the two cars are really close....the Solstice simply visually stands bigger than the MX-5...this one was black with black leather interior and polished wheels..all the packages and upgraded sound, A/C,,those 18 inch wheels stand out..and make the visual impact of the car stunning.......Doug was kind enough to let us both sit in the car....and again....the difference is night and day between the solstice and MX-5....dont get the comments about the plastic in the solstice being cheesy and the mazda...they both have it...both are well done...but we didnt feel "compressed" in the cockpit of the solstice....It felt much larger than the mazda..though the interior specs are almost identical, we werent shoulder to shoulder in the solstice like we were in the MX-5..we both had plenty of leg room...and I think the solstice is much better for long drives than the mazda...from an ergonomic standpoint..in my brief encounters with both....Doug took my wife for a ride.....(hey its her car!!!) and she was very impressed with the feel and power of the car...more so than that of the mazda.....after seeing both....driving the mazda....sitting in both.....the solstice wins hand down in our book.......you simply cant beleive this car until you see one in person..we spent about an hour with Doug and his solstice...Doug said he had been stopped several times already and asked if that was the new corvette!!!....all couldnt beleive it was a pontiac!!!!!!

I know this is an unscientific comparison...but it is a comparison from real people...now we really have the fever for this car...and are in it for the long haul....the manager at the dealership spoke with us....and was very knowledgeable as to the status of his cars..his allocations...and the production rates...all good and all promising for those of us still waiting to get our hands on this car!!!!

if anybody is waivering and is in the first four month allocation...hang in there....you will not be disappointed!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
:agree: :agree: My wife and I drove from eastern Long Island to northwestern New Jersey this past weekend and we second your thoughts on the comfort of cruising in the Solstice. I've never sat in the new Mazda but the Sol has plenty of room (especially shoulder room) for two adults. Top down we could still have a conversation at 70mph, cd playing, and not need to shout. Very impressed with the overall ride at highway speed-much like a longer, heavier car- but still feels nimble when it needs to be. Drove through NYC tunnels, city streets, expressways-its all good,folks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts