Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find anything, but I'm SURE it's been discussed.

After washing the Sol yesterday, I used my shop-vac as a blower to get the water out of all the favorite hiding spots as I usually do. (CHMSL, rear lamps, valance, door handles, badges, and the rear view mirrors.) Then I finished drying with the chamois.

I continued to clean the inside of the car. From time to time I'd step out to sip on my barley pop and I'd take the chamois and wipe off one or two drops that seeped out from under the mirrors onto the door.

Repeat above paragraph 3 or 4 times.

And I KNOW you've all experienced this. The next morning there is STILL at least one or two drops that migrated out over night!

So, has anyone found a solution to this? I'm contemplating a small syringe with a clear silicone and injecting up under the mirror base where it mounts to the door. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar, or hopefully better, solution they've implemented.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I wash mine at the local coin operated self service car wash. I use the spot free rinse, and then after the 3 mile drive home, I wipe off the excess water with a microfiber drying towel. No spots!

·
Super Moderator
16,547 Posts
Punisher and Green Dragon get dried off once, then the next day I use detail spray to perfect the drying process. I get irritated by having to clean inside the front fenders when the VDIs are up and the guts there are exposed.:willy:

I also have had to develop a foam tool that I use to dry the cells in the front grille.

Solved the problem with the inside of the wheels because I take them off so I can clean the inside easier.:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Easy.
Park on a steep hill with the nose uphill, or aim your leaf blower at the mirror after you wash to blow the water out of all the crevices.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My compressor is down the drive in the "shop" and I wash the car up at the house. The vac doesn't move the volume needed. Just wondered if anyone tried to "block" the water from getting in there rather than just a method for getting it out.

If not, then I'm stuck with anothr dilemna. Do I buy a small compressor for the house garage or do I buy a leaf blower? :lol:

Which tool should I buy....decisions decisions. :devil:

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I use an electric leaf blower, just for blowing out the garage and drying the car. Cheap ($40) but far better than the shop-vac blower (I have one of those too).

·
Registered
306 Posts
My compressor is small by Kawasaki, lime green bought from tractor supply. It's great for lots of things, including blasting out anything that shouldn't be on my car. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I use a pancake compressor and then take it for a quick drive to get the rust off the rotors. Then I go over with detailer spray. No drippies. I never thought about pushing silicone in there but it doesn't bother me because the way I detail it never drips when I am done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After the wash take it for a quick drive. When you get back home all of the water hiding in the nooks and crannies is blown out. Quick wipe of the spots and you're done. Use the leaf blower for you lawn.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, but a quick drive isn't an option. Live out in the sticks. Gravel driveway and smack dab in the middle of a one mile long dirt road. (But it's really quiet!)

I have an Ingersol/Rand compressor in my shop - 30 gallon, twin stage, very nice. A pancake for the attached garage is not out of the question, just seems like a redundant expense. Leaf blower was initially attractive to me a few years ago in order to blow the lines out of the pool when I winterize it, but the new shop vac the kids bought me for Father's Day did fine this fall.

So now I'm thinking that I'll need to build a shelf/stand unit in one corner of the attached garage so I can park the pressure water under it and a small compressor on the top. Probably should consider running a line over to a retractable coil air hose in the center of the ceiling like I have in my shop.

Or I could try a sealant first. lol!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I love using the pancake compressor. Probably takes me about 5 minutes to do the car. All emblems, front grill, both mirrors, gas cap, the whole back end and then done. Sometimes I will shoot it in the drip holes at the bottom of the doors if it isn't hot outside just to get the bottom dry. I do each wheel when I am done washing those too. I don't waste as many towels.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Thought occurred to me while reading this thread. Can one get an attachment for the included compressor in the Sol trunk that will turn it into a blower? Would it be powerful enough? Hmmm................

I have a 5 gal compressor in the garage with BellaV that I use to blow off the "tears"......

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay - you all LIED to me. Christmas came early, I bought a little 2.6 gallon Makita compressor (because buyers said it was so much more quiet than some others). I bought the couplers and hoses and a new rubber tipped blow gun.

Washed the Solstice tonight, blew the snot out of the trouble spots while wiping it down and thought all was good. But NO! 10 minutes later - a drop of water from the outside mirror driver's side! How could you do this to me? I trusted you people!!

Oh well, I ended up with a slick little compressor that will let me do some of the minor jobs without having to move projects down to the "shop". lol!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Maybe by rotating the mirror till the top part is 90 degrees to the bottom part and jetting into the bottom part through the small openings...that should blow out all the h2o in the base...I'll try it on my next wash day.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not sure what it is with those mirrors but they hold water like nothing. The best thing I've found is to use the air like you are doing. Blow it out and then when it appears dry open and close the door 2 or 3 times and then blow it out some more. That generally does the trick for me.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know, King. Blow the snot out of 'em after every wash, even pivoting them so I blow straight down into the two openings of the mount. It's like a 50/50 chance that I will or won't get a drip in the next 24 hours!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know, King. Blow the snot out of 'em after every wash, even pivoting them so I blow straight down into the two openings of the mount. It's like a 50/50 chance that I will or won't get a drip in the next 24 hours!
For sure. These mirrors are some form of magic with how much water they can hold. I've honestly never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Geez, all this over the mirrors. I can see it now, a new Kappa product, a rear view mirror fitted with drain holes, or perhaps a new Water Katch Kan to be fitted to each side......

·
Super Moderator
16,547 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts