Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
take a peek at the edmunds solstice TMV page. they have the MSRP as $19,420 (without the destination charge $575) and the TMV ... the 'right' price to pay..... as $20,218. looks like the dealers are bidding up the price on pre-orders.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
cdb said:
take a peek at the edmunds solstice TMV page. they have the MSRP as $19,420 (without the destination charge $575) and the TMV ... the 'right' price to pay..... as $20,218. looks like the dealers are bidding up the price on pre-orders.

Edmunds says that their "TMV" is their estimate for a new car until there is actual transaction data available. So it is Edmunds that feels the car underpriced at the magic $19,995 and is worth $800 to $1,200 over MSRP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Does that mean that it will be worth more than we pay for it right off the bat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Small Dealer said:
Edmunds says that their "TMV" is their estimate for a new car until there is actual transaction data available. So it is Edmunds that feels the car underpriced at the magic $19,995 and is worth $800 to $1,200 over MSRP.
my bad...didn't mean to cast dispersions on dealers, particularily the dealers on this site who are holding the line on MSRP. more of an observation, really, that the marketplace is saying the solstice is underpriced at $ 19,995.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
cdb said:
my bad...didn't mean to cast dispersions on dealers, particularily the dealers on this site who are holding the line on MSRP. more of an observation, really, that the marketplace is saying the solstice is underpriced at $ 19,995.
Not " a bad", your post is excellent, it opens up the discussion on the sillyness of some of these online sites and their pricing models. This info can then become gospel. Which then makes it harder to actually put a deal together with a potential buyer.

As you point out, look around the site here, isn't almost everyone paying MSRP? There are reports of dealers asking or saying they will be asking MSRP+++++ (Florida comes to mind), but I can't recall any one going for it. But based on the editors of Edmonds, people would think MSRP++ is the going rate.

Glad you marked out this today, we can reference back to your post over the coming months to see where Edmunds goes with the number.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
People are not paying over MSRP because the car is nor available yet, but wait until it hits the street and you will see people paying over MSRP. Remember this is a low production car so depending where you live, this car maybe the only one around for a while, the execption would probably be places like Palm Beach and South Beach in Miami, maybe some places up North, but all in all this is going to be a rare site for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
My son called to let me know that someone on E-Bay is selling his rights to the car, and the current bid is for @$3,000.00...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I ordered my car on May 21st, deposit of $1000 (non-refundable) with the "oral" guarantee that the car will be sold to me at MSRP. I stopped by the dealer today to see if the order had been picked and if the pricing was available. Unfortunately, I got the old "we'll call you when we get the pricing structure".

I thought pricing was made available to the dealers? Should I be able to get my sales price yet or do I have to wait? :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
940 Posts
Sol-Brotha said:
I thought pricing was made available to the dealers? Should I be able to get my sales price yet or do I have to wait? :confused:
That is interesting. I have my retail purchase order for motor vehicle form with the price of my car. The dealer and I went through each option dollar for dollar when I ordered the car on April 15. Go to www.cars.com and price out your car. I did mine there and it came out to the penny compared to what the dealer listed and charged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
timmyzthree said:
I got the same treatment. Only an "oral" on the selling price. I hope this won't be a problem :leaving:
A dealer cannot give you a "firm price" on an ordered vehicle b/c there is no pricing on the "window sticker" that is generated by AutoBook for both parties to sign off on. The Gen Mgr, in most cases will not allow handwritten prices on an ordered, unbuilt vehicle, b/c he is ultimately responsible to the dealer principle to show a profit for every unit. It is accepted, however, that the preliminary prices are going to be in place when the vehicles are delivered.

Sometime in March/April, we got pricing sheets. They are not "official" until in goes into AutoBook/DealerWorld, but I would have to seriouly believe that GM will hold the line, for the most part, on the numbers until MY07. There are times throughout a MY when a price will get bumped b/c of a severe and unforseen increase in raw material prices.

I don't think that GM would raise the price on the basis of supply-side economics, in this case meaning "We have what you want, so you'll pay for it." The idea of the car itself is to affordable and desireable at the same time.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
conejo148 said:
A dealer cannot give you a "firm price" on an ordered vehicle b/c there is no pricing on the "window sticker" that is generated by AutoBook for both parties to sign off on. The Gen Mgr, in most cases will not allow handwritten prices on an ordered, unbuilt vehicle,....

Sometime in March/April, we got pricing sheets. They are not "official" until in goes into AutoBook/DealerWorld,....
I have to take the opposite position and disagree.

The pricing infomation released in March is in password protected in GM Dealerworld at the GM Pricing site. It takes the same form and appearance that pricing infomation has for more then twenty years. It is as "official" as it comes.

Autobook is a third party vendor system that helps configure orders (after 15 minutes of revising this paragraph, I will leave it at that).

I believe the dealers that can't price the Solstice, are too technology driven to go to Dealerword and to use a pencil-pad-adding machine to come up with a price. This infomation can then be hadwritten on the purchase and sales document for signing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
conejo148 said:
A dealer cannot give you a "firm price" on an ordered vehicle b/c there is no pricing on the "window sticker" that is generated by AutoBook for both parties to sign off on. The Gen Mgr, in most cases will not allow handwritten prices on an ordered, unbuilt vehicle, b/c he is ultimately responsible to the dealer principle to show a profit for every unit. It is accepted, however, that the preliminary prices are going to be in place when the vehicles are delivered.

Sometime in March/April, we got pricing sheets. They are not "official" until in goes into AutoBook/DealerWorld, but I would have to seriouly believe that GM will hold the line, for the most part, on the numbers until MY07. There are times throughout a MY when a price will get bumped b/c of a severe and unforseen increase in raw material prices.

I don't think that GM would raise the price on the basis of supply-side economics, in this case meaning "We have what you want, so you'll pay for it." The idea of the car itself is to affordable and desireable at the same time.
I talked to three dealers and they all had a price sheet. Every car I ever ordered in the past, (2 of them), we agreed on a sale price at the time the order wqs placed. I understand what you're saying about the price sheets not being offical but isn't that kind of like leaving a loophole to raise the price. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
timmyzthree said:
I talked to three dealers and they all had a price sheet. Every car I ever ordered in the past, (2 of them), we agreed on a sale price at the time the order wqs placed. I understand what you're saying about the price sheets not being offical but isn't that kind of like leaving a loophole to raise the price. :)
In the instances where I have quoted somebody, we have used teh afforementioned price sheet, added the options (with a pencil ;) ,) and signed off on the sheet. In regards to the loophole, it's all a matter of whether somebody's left their particular dealer with a warm & fuzzy, or more of a pit-in-the-stomach kind of feeling.

GM does offer eprcie guarantee, based on your time of order. In this case, I think it's just legal-eez allowing that something may become a wrench in the works, not putting "official " pricing on BuyPower or DealerWorld.

If you have a signed sheet, I wouldn't worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
bigjon

GM pricing is available on GM Family First. It has been there since before the April 15 "Apprentice" show. I used this info when ordering my car as a EOP then as an allocation buyer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,336 Posts
Mine comes to $24,180 MSRP / $22,457 Invoice on cars.com & has all options except XM and Smokers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
LatinVenom said:
People are not paying over MSRP because the car is nor available yet, but wait until it hits the street and you will see people paying over MSRP. Remember this is a low production car so depending where you live, this car maybe the only one around for a while, the execption would probably be places like Palm Beach and South Beach in Miami, maybe some places up North, but all in all this is going to be a rare site for a while.

In Southwest Ohio, dealers were charging anywhere from MSRP to $3,000-$5,000 over. Unfortunately, I did not get one of the first 1,000 (my dealership only received one of them). I was able to pre-order on their first four month allotment on 6/7 when a person cancelled their order. The dealership was selling pre-orders at $3,500-$5,000 over, but since I was on the waiting list for the First 1,000 they were nice enough :skep: to sell me one at MSRP =$1,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Msrp + $1,000
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top