Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I have a question. I just talked to my dealer and they are charging me MSRP+2500 for the Solstice (after I've bought 3 new vehicles from him in 5 years). I called some other Atlanta area Pontiac dealers and they all say they are not charging over MSRP. My dealer says the other guys are lying. Do I have to get all of them in one room to get the truth or what? I read on one of the other posts somewhere that Pontiac had issued guidance not to upcharge the cars. Is that true?

Sorry for the rant. Just kinda ticked off at the moment.

AFSOC 1st Sgt

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
AFSOC 1st Sgt said:
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I have a question. I just talked to my dealer and they are charging me MSRP+2500 for the Solstice (after I've bought 3 new vehicles from him in 5 years). I called some other Atlanta area Pontiac dealers and they all say they are not charging over MSRP. My dealer says the other guys are lying. Do I have to get all of them in one room to get the truth or what? I read on one of the other posts somewhere that Pontiac had issued guidance not to upcharge the cars. Is that true?

Sorry for the rant. Just kinda ticked off at the moment.

AFSOC 1st Sgt
Ya, GM sent I think 2 memos to dealers requesting MSRP. SmallDealer can give you more info.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Most Solstices are being sold at MSRP

Most of the forum members are getting their Solstices for MSRP. I would advise you to call more dealers, and find one at MSRP. Then, take a deposit acceptance form something like this with you...

Here's a reprint of a couple of posts that I've made multiple times:

The time you place your deposit is the perfect time to get an agreement to buy the car at MSRP. After you have given the dealer the deposit, you will not have very much leverage, but if you haven't placed your deposit yet, take a form something like the following with you...

I've posted this a few times before, but it bears a repost...

I discuss this in the following post: Non-EOP thread on Ordering: Be sure to get your MSRP in writing...

Take the following form with you to the dealer BEFORE you give them your deposit.
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for a $500 refundable deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -*insert-dealer-name-here*- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased as a special order, a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation, or to a purchase from dealers available stock.

Signed:

Once you give them your deposit, and you have nothing in writing saying MSRP, you'll be subject to the mood and market pressures of the dealer at the time you can finally place the order and/or go to take delivery and sign the final purchase agreement. As I have said before, AFTER you have given them your money, they will have almost NO incentive to agree to MSRP without markups.

Now, the standard disclaimer applies, I am not a lawyer. However, this should give you a starting point to get your MSRP agreement in writing.

Best of luck! :)

Now, a discussion of how to find a dealer willing to sell at MSRP:

Call around to the dealers BEFORE you go down to place your order. Ask them these questions:
  1. How many units do you have in your 4 month allocation?
  2. Of those, do you have any which are not already promised to customers?
  3. Can I purchase the car at MSRP without a dealer or market based markup?
If you get affirmative answers to the above, make a note of it, and keep calling.

To get the list of dealers, use the Pontiac.com web site and put in your zip code. If you need to seek dealers further away, you could put the dealer's zip codes at the edge of the circle into the find a dealer interface and spring board further out.

Don't be afraid to call a lot of dealers. If you don't feel comfortable talking to one, then say, "Thanks for your time. It was nice talking to you." and hang up. There ARE good dealers like our very own Conejo148 and Small Dealer. You just have to look a bit. Again, if you get a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach, walk out. It's your money, and you have the power and the choice. Don't ignore your instincts--they're probably right.

For good dealers, consider making it a road trip. You'll need to make two trips, one to place the deposit and check out the dealer in person to see if you don't get that sinking feeling. The second trip, you can rent a car one way back out there, and drive your brand-new Solstice home... Sweet! Christen the car with a road trip.... :cool:

Even if the dealer is a long ways away, you can still use a FAX machine to send the deposit agreement over to him, and ask him if he will sign it when you get there with your deposit. That way, you'll not surprise him, and you'll be better able to gauge how serious the dealer is about offering you a Solstice at MSRP.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Post Script: I improved the language of the agreement slightly from previous incarnations... ;)

Best of luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I paid MSRP + $2,000 for my car - but, I only had to wait less than two weeks to get it. It was worth the money. I have already had offers to sell it for more than I paid for it. People go crazy over the car every time I take it out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I saved a copy of the second memo the dealers received. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have any effect on dealers determined to screw their customers out of a few extra dollars as well as themselves out of any possibility of repeat business. Go figure :rolleyes:

Attention: All Pontiac Dealers, General Managers, and Sales Managers

Subject: 2006 Pontiac Solstice MSRP Reminder

With Solstices now being produced and shipped from the plant, we have reached an important milestone in Pontiac's history. This all-new, progressive roadster has arrived and taken the market by storm. Congratulations to all! As you know, the 2006 Solstice represents a unique opportunity for Pontiac, both in terms of defining the division's future direction for design and performance and also in delivering great value in a competitive segment. The Solstice firmly places an exclamation point on Pontiac's product renaissance! So let's make the most of it.

Based on an earlier communication sent to dealers in June, signed by John Larson, B-P-G General Manager, and Mark-Hans Richer, Pontiac Marketing Director, we are asking dealers to honor our customers, both existing and new to the Pontiac portfolio, by honoring the MSRP for the 2006 Solstice. Pontiac delivered on the promise of offering a starting manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for under $20,000 (including DFC) and this compelling price point is a critical piece of the Solstice story. We have received phone calls, e-mails, and letters from concerned Solstice customers, even those among our First 1,000, who have been quoted Solstice retail prices above MSRP. As you are aware, MSRP is just that – a suggested retail price. And while the actual retail price of the vehicle is ultimately between a dealer and the retail customer, we strongly encourage all dealers to not sell above MSRP. For detailing pricing information, please review the price schedule in GM DealerWorld.

With heightened press coverage and overall interest in the marketplace for the Solstice, we owe it to every customer to deliver on our Total Value Promise. As you sell Solstices this year, please strongly consider more than just the near term. We are at a critical point in Pontiac's resurgence and encourage a long-term perspective of Pontiac's future. We have a chance to surprise and delight even the most ardent import intenders with a superior sales and ownership experience. Therefore, we are asking you to show leadership in the overall customer experience. All across the country we have a special opportunity to impress prospective Solstice buyers, many of whom have never considered Pontiac prior to this vehicle. Let's make their first impression of Pontiac a positive one and conquest a customer for life.

Please join us in ensuring an outstanding purchase and ownership experience expected from customers for this remarkable roadster.

Thanks for your support and good selling,

Pontiac Solstice Team

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Msrp!

Tell your dealer it will be the last car you purchase from his dealership if you don't get MSRP! Does he want a long-term customer or an upset former customer? :yesnod:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I could have gone somewhere else and sat on a waiting list for months to buy one at MSRP. I wanted the car "now" and was willing to pay the extra to get it. I thought the dealer was great to work with and would buy from him again.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Several Atlantians have bought cars and have not paid over MSRP. Maybe they can chime in and help you out. I would not pay it.

Where's Loganville? Sorry, I had too. :leaving:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Living in Fresno, CA, the best I could find in the central valley was 2500 over MSRP. Kitahara pontiac is charging 5000 over MSRP. Their first vehicle showed up this past Thursday. The dealership I'm working with is 40 minutes away. If someone has any information about a dealership in California only charging MSRP, I'd appreciate the tip.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
IRON MAN said:
Living in Fresno, CA, the best I could find in the central valley was 2500 over MSRP. Kitahara pontiac is charging 5000 over MSRP. Their first vehicle showed up this past Thursday. The dealership I'm working with is 40 minutes away. If someone has any information about a dealership in California only charging MSRP, I'd appreciate the tip.
My dealership typically has a policy of charging MSRP, even on vehicles like the GTO.

FAMILY PONTIAC BUICK GMC
2121 W MAIN ST
ALHAMBRA , CA 91801 -1857
BuyPower Manager: George Cady
Phone: (626) 289-6301
Fax: (626) 293-8592

The owner is Lou Gonzales

They do indeed have a waiting list, and they haven't gotten any of their first allocation vehicles yet, so that does not help your search.

Again, see my post, you can use the Advanced search and expand the listing to show all dealers within a 150 mile radius of a specific city.

You'll have to call a lot of dealers, and it will take a large amount of time. But, you have to balance your time invested against that $2500. If you figure your time is worth about $50/hr, then you're still looking at spending 50 hours before you reach break-even.

You'll need to spend about 15 to 20 hours calling dealers before you strike pay dirt. Don't stop at just one, keep calling until you have at least two.

See my long post. I know it's long, but I really think it will help.

Again, DON'T forget to prepare and fax them your MSRP deposit acceptance agreement. If they won't sign, then move on to the second one you found.

See the post.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
IRON MAN said:
Butts Motors in Monterey claims to have a blanket policy of not charging over MSRP. I only picked my car up there, so I can't attest to that 100%, but they were pretty decent to work with nonetheless.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Over MSRP - Adios Lou Sobh Pontiac

I called several dealers in the Atlanta area who said they are not charging over MSRP for the Solstice. A couple even quoted the letter from GM that discouraged the upcharge (thanks hyzer). My dealer says they haven't heard of any letter from GM on the subject - so I faxed them a copy. I also told them to get my deposit check ready for me to come get. Bought 3 vehicles from them in 5 years. So much for customer appreciation. Won't buy another one from them.

I called one of the zero upcharge local Pontiac dealers and ordered a Solstice from them. I don't even mind getting back in line at the end again. Heck, winter's coming on anyway. Maybe my new one will show around spring.

AFSOC 1st Sgt

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
AFSOC 1st Sgt said:
I called several dealers in the Atlanta area who said they are not charging over MSRP for the Solstice. A couple even quoted the letter from GM that discouraged the upcharge (thanks hyzer). My dealer says they haven't heard of any letter from GM on the subject - so I faxed them a copy. I also told them to get my deposit check ready for me to come get. Bought 3 vehicles from them in 5 years. So much for customer appreciation. Won't buy another one from them.

I called one of the zero upcharge local Pontiac dealers and ordered a Solstice from them. I don't even mind getting back in line at the end again. Heck, winter's coming on anyway. Maybe my new one will show around spring.

AFSOC 1st Sgt
:agree:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I want to thank you guys. I used the knowledge gained by this thread and was able to find a dealer who didn't believe in charging over MSRP. I'm going to have to wait till April or May for the vehicle as opposed to January, however I will be able to select the options I wanted as opposed to receiving an allocated vehicle with pre-determined options. Unfortunately, it means I will be driving my Stratus for a little longer... but will have an extra $2500 in the pocket...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
IRON MAN said:
I want to thank you guys. I used the knowledge gained by this thread and was able to find a dealer who didn't believe in charging over MSRP. I'm going to have to wait till April or May for the vehicle as opposed to January, however I will be able to select the options I wanted as opposed to receiving an allocated vehicle with pre-determined options. Unfortunately, it means I will be driving my Stratus for a little longer... but will have an extra $2500 in the pocket...
Way to go! They are out there, it just takes a little research to find them. Some members here kept telling me that and I finally found one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What a day!

A short re-cap:
2 days ago - My (ex) dealer called to say they forgot one small detail when I ordered my car...they're adding 2500 to the MSRP. Why? Because they can.

Yesterday - I told the guy to drop dead and cancelled my order and took my deposit back. Spent the day calling every Pontiac dealer within 50 miles (there are 28 of them) of Atlanta. 4 of the 28 charged over MSRP, with 3 of the 4 owned by my ex-dealer. Also gave all 28 my name and number and asked them to call me if they had a car become available.

Today - One of the dealers calls me to say someone dropped out this morning on an aggressive with every option except LSD and smokers. "Did I want it?" he asked. How long until comes in, I asked. Probably this week, he says. I run down and put a deposit on it.

Here's the dates on it:
1100 4/22
2000 8/22
2500 8/23
3000 8/23
3100 9/21
3300 9/21
3400 9/21
3800 10/03
4000 10/05
4200 10/28 shipped

Talk about an emotional roller-coaster. Went from happily awaiting a Solstice 3 days ago, to seething angry 2 days ago, to totally dejected yesterday, to jumping for joy today.

AFSOC 1st Sgt
vin#1G2MB33B76Y102405

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
AFSOC 1st Sgt said:
Talk about an emotional roller-coaster. Went from happily awaiting a Solstice 3 days ago, to seething angry 2 days ago, to totally dejected yesterday, to jumping for joy today.
Congrats on the car. :thumbs:

Hey, who are the 4 dealers? That way I can save myself the time when I order mine. If you don't want to post in the forum, just PM me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Now, THAT's What I'm Talkin' about!

AFSOC 1st Sgt said:
A short re-cap:
2 days ago - My (ex) dealer called to say they forgot one small detail when I ordered my car...they're adding 2500 to the MSRP. Why? Because they can.

Yesterday - I told the guy to drop dead and cancelled my order and took my deposit back. Spent the day calling every Pontiac dealer within 50 miles (there are 28 of them) of Atlanta. 4 of the 28 charged over MSRP, with 3 of the 4 owned by my ex-dealer. Also gave all 28 my name and number and asked them to call me if they had a car become available.

Today - One of the dealers calls me to say someone dropped out this morning on an aggressive with every option except LSD and smokers. "Did I want it?" he asked. How long until comes in, I asked. Probably this week, he says. I run down and put a deposit on it.

Here's the dates on it:
1100 4/22
2000 8/22
2500 8/23
3000 8/23
3100 9/21
3300 9/21
3400 9/21
3800 10/03
4000 10/05
4200 10/28 shipped

AFSOC 1st Sgt
vin#1G2MB33B76Y102405
Way to go, congratulations! You will absolutely love the car. That's pretty quick turn-around.

Also, thanks for the impromptu survey results.

Folks, this is important: Most dealers are NOT charging over MSRP. Call around.

I'm glad you found so many dealers in a 50 mile radius. Even for folks who have fewer close by, just expand the radius. You can pay for a whole lot of phone calls, and a whole lot of your time by avoiding the markup.

If you do go to a dealer and place an order, be sure to take a copy of that deposit acceptance agreement I posted earlier in this thread with you. The revised one is even better than the one that I used because I specified that the deposit was refundable.

In retrospect, it would also have been better for me to have written up a specific order including listing ALL options that I was requesting, and for which the deal was struck. That would have saved me a whole lot of money, because it's going to cost me about $1500 to get the $499 polished wheel option that was accidentally deleted from my order by the dealership. Without the signed paper saying what options I had requested, it is difficult to argue with them. I've got the options list that the Owner and I prepared on April 15, and I may seek to have them order me the wheels at their cost, but it will still be closer to a $1000 mistake.....

Be sure to get a printout of your VOM order as well. This is VITAL. If you don't have a VOM printout, you don't have any proof you an order, it's that simple. Numerous folks have thought they've ordered a car, only to find out MANY months later that no VOM entry was ever made.

Again, congratulations on finding a car. If you're not going to be buzzing around on the track, the Limited Slip Diff won't be noticed as missing, and you'll quickly forget everything that you wanted to get after driving the car for only about 3 days. I love mine, even without the polished wheels. :cool: Yes, it's that good, and that much fun to drive. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts