Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all - need help on an overheat...replaced the thermostat last summer (with a drilled hole just to be safe to burp the baby :)) and car has been running fine - today overheated to 260. Was able to limp home when it cooled down below 210 but never was back at normal upper 190's. Top radiator hose is of course hot, bottom is cool to the touch. Almost like the t-stat is stuck closed.. I do have heat from the heater...any help appreciated. 2008 2.0L GXP ~60K miles.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
HI all - need help on an overheat...replaced the thermostat last summer (with a drilled hole just to be safe to burp the baby :)) and car has been running fine - today overheated to 260. Was able to limp home when it cooled down below 210 but never was back at normal upper 190's. Top radiator hose is of course hot, bottom is cool to the touch. Almost like the t-stat is stuck closed.. I do have heat from the heater...any help appreciated. 2008 2.0L GXP ~60K miles.
easy way to find out. just remove the thermostat and run the car without it. If it cools down put in a new thermostat. Since you've changed the Tstat before, you already know you don't have to disconnect the hoses. Or, since Tstats are cheap, just skip the extra step and drop a new one in. Can't be sure but it definitely sounds like a stuck Tstat.

Bill

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is your radiator fan turning on? My first one went out at around 72,000 miles. If you turn on the A/C while they car is running, your fan should turn on.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
A couple things come to mind.

First would be as stated by Joybill. If you purchased a cheap replacement like Stant or some other off brand, these don't last more then a year from other people's posts here on the forum. Get an ACDelco from the dealership.

Second, is the reservoir full? Have you added any coolant to it lately? If so, are there visible leaks anywhere? If nothing is on the ground, look under the waterpump and see if there is any orange jelly-like substance under it...if so, you need a WP.

Third, headgasket...which is not an easy task or cheap....

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
........ is the reservoir full? Have you added any coolant to it lately? If so, are there visible leaks anywhere? If nothing is on the ground, look under the waterpump and see if there is any orange jelly-like substance under it...if so, you need a WP.

Third, headgasket...which is not an easy task or cheap....
Either of these will cause loss of coolant and that will eventually cause overheating, but if the reservoir hasn't gotten low enough to let the system ingest air, will either of these directly cause overheating?

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Be a bit unusual for the issue that plagued some cars early on to manifest itself - the one cured by installing the valves in the heater hoses. Guess it is still possible, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Feedback on the t-stat removal

Thanks for the response. I've often wondered about the 'why' of a thermostat with a summer vehicle like this...good idea I think to remove altogether! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Either of these will cause loss of coolant and that will eventually cause overheating, but if the reservoir hasn't gotten low enough to let the system ingest air, will either of these directly cause overheating?
I asked and stated this merely because some people don't think about the fact that they added coolant 2 weeks ago before the overheating started. And lately, there's been a lot of newer people on here that don't give the entire story until you "jog" their memory.

Much like I was going to take my tire off and take it to the tire store 3 weeks ago. Well, I left the lugs loose until I could work on it again. Not thinking one day, I decided to get it to the tire store. I completely forgot I left the lugs loose until I got up there and 2 of them fell off!! Thank God it was only 3 miles away.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I asked and stated this merely because some people don't think about the fact that they added coolant 2 weeks ago before the overheating started. And lately, there's been a lot of newer people on here that don't give the entire story until you "jog" their memory.

Much like I was going to take my tire off and take it to the tire store 3 weeks ago. Well, I left the lugs loose until I could work on it again. Not thinking one day, I decided to get it to the tire store. I completely forgot I left the lugs loose until I got up there and 2 of them fell off!! Thank God it was only 3 miles away.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've often wondered about the 'why' of a thermostat with a summer vehicle like this...good idea I think to remove altogether! Thanks.
May not be a good idea to leave the tstat out permanently. You want the engine to come up to operating temperature rapidly for best operating efficiency, even in hot weather.

I have taken them out and run the engine without them just for testing purposes. you can put the tstat in a pot on the stove with a thermometer in the water and observe whether or not it opens at the proper temperature. If it opens properly, reinstall and look for the problem elsewhere.

Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another thing to check (and this happened to me) is to take off the water pump cover on the front of the engine and check the chain. The balance shaft/water pump crank sprocket had stripped and wasn't turning the water pump any more. The chain was very loose.

As long as you just take off the cover there is no risk in messing anything up. If you have to replace the chain it can get rather expensive if you pay a shop to do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another thing to check (and this happened to me) is to take off the water pump cover on the front of the engine and check the chain. The balance shaft/water pump crank sprocket had stripped and wasn't turning the water pump any more. The chain was very loose.

As long as you just take off the cover there is no risk in messing anything up. If you have to replace the chain it can get rather expensive if you pay a shop to do it.
Amorget - thanks - great tip and tonight i plan on digging into this further. ill keep everyone posted on findings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amorget - thanks - great tip and tonight i plan on digging into this further. ill keep everyone posted on findings.
Planning a t-stat swap here. Definately the lower radiator hose is cold to the touch with the engine @ 220F. I'll keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Have you done a tstat swap on the car before? Do you know how to do one? They are a huge pain in the arse!!! I did mine last spring. I suggest you get the shop directions for it if you have never attempted one on this car before. You have to spin the clamp around on the hose to get at the bolt. Don't try to take the hose off, there isn't enough room down there to get it off unless your a contortionist or you have a small child that super strong!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts