Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 gxp turbo, coolent level light (tank half full icon) comes on as soon as car is started, lvls are fine, i'm thinking this is a sensor issue as it will turn off if i turn hard or hit bumps.... but a new problem has occured, car tends to over heat fast, gets to 250 and the (thermometer) light comes on... the coolent lvl light never turns off. Could this be a thermostate issue, or some other underlying problem?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
The check valves are an add on, correct? It could be the sensor - I've read a few reports of them going bad. Might just be a connection to the sensor.

Overheating could be a result of air locked in the system. The check valves Shabby discussed are a correction to that.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
From what I've gleaned from other members, the check valves are a good idea on either the 2.0 or 2.4.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Ruh Roh….. As much as I don’t want to throw this out there. You said your anti-freeze levels are good. It should be above the big seam line. About ¼ - ½ inch above. If it isn’t, you’re losing it somewhere. Have you THOROUGHLY checked your waterpump for any signs of leaks. I didn’t have any “wet” leaks on mine when it went. Mine was more an orange gum substance on and around the waterpump itself. Mine when it started to leak was very tough to find. If you’re heating up as quickly as you are there are only 4 things it could be:

1) Have you drained your coolant lately? If so, you have an air bubble.
2) The thermostat is stuck shut.
3) It’s time for a new waterpump.
4) It could be a bad head-gasket. If you have white smoke or sweet smelling exhaust, this is your issue.

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
If it's a turbo car at 250. That is a real issue. You can cook the oil at that temp.

The water pump could be failing, but generally that does not cause overheating unless it totally fails and you lose coolant.

Air in the system can cause over heating but generally the overheating only lasts a few minutes while the air bubble is at the impeller. Once the air moves to the heater core the temps drop again.

A stuck thermostat is a possibility.

Mixing in the wrong coolant can also be a huge issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts