Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The temps in my gxp seem to be running above average, its getting to 220-230 all of a sudden. The cooling fan works, so i changed the thermostat to an oem ac delco one thinking it was stuck closed and i bled the system by pressurizing the overflow tank.
One strange thing i noticed is that when the fan is on full blast the air from the radiator seems fairly cool, is the rad possibly clogged? Shouldn't the air from the fan feel hot?

Here's the bleeding process i used, skip to 18m

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So i decided to bleed the system again and went for a drive and that seemed to have fixed the issue, now the temps hover between 180-190.
After a 20 minute drive i noticed the low coolant light came on for a split second, before i left the overflow tank was 3/4 full, now it was around 1/4 full. So it seems there was tons of air inside, even though i drilled a tiny 1/16" hole in the thermostat i still wasn't able to bleed all the air out, why is that?
Also when the fan is on the air from rad is hot unlike before, so it seems there was tons of air under the thermostat and it just wasn't opening.

Also found a simple solution to the dreaded clamp on the thermostat housing, seeing that it was almost impossible to get any pliers on it i used a long flathead screw driver and placed it on the clamp and hit it with a hammer and managed to rotate the clamp so i can get a socket on it (y)

20191124_173131.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may be happening to mine. I replaced the module after it went out 2 weeks ago with the ford crown vic one. Before that my temps were a constant 208-210. While driving around town now itll stay around 205-210 but onced stopped at a red light it creeps up to 219 and settles to 216. I am tuned but still seems a little hot. May have to bleed the system

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may be happening to mine. I replaced the module after it went out 2 weeks ago with the ford crown vic one. Before that my temps were a constant 208-210. While driving around town now itll stay around 205-210 but onced stopped at a red light it creeps up to 219 and settles to 216. I am tuned but still seems a little hot. May have to bleed the system
That is definitely on the high side, the stock thermostat is 180f so when driving the temps should basically hover around that temp. The fan on a gxp kicks in at 195 so if your temps are at 216 then somethings amiss, do what i did and try to feel the air coming from the fan(watch your fingers lol), if its cool then your thermostat isn't opening, most likely air in the system or it failed closed. My old thermostat still works so i'll keep it just in case.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
you may want to make sure your fan is cycling on and off at the right temperature. Usually, if it is a low coolant or closrd thermostat problem, temps get very high very fast and stay high, fan or no fan. Like Shabby says, feel your hoses at the radiator and at the heater. If they are hot and the reservoir is full, your coolant and thermostat are probably OK. You can replace the thermostat fairly easily once you get that blasted hose clamp turned a little. Drill a small hole in the new Tstat first (1/16"-1/8"). Makes burping the system much easier. If your coolant is low, check under the car for coolant on the floor under the right forward corner of the engine. could be a bad water pump. Was it the fan module you replaced? One of Murphy's Laws states: "If it isn't working, look at the last thing you fixed first".

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is definitely on the high side, the stock thermostat is 180f so when driving the temps should basically hover around that temp. The fan on a gxp kicks in at 195 so if your temps are at 216 then somethings amiss, do what i did and try to feel the air coming from the fan(watch your fingers lol), if its cool then your thermostat isn't opening, most likely air in the system or it failed closed. My old thermostat still works so i'll keep it just in case.
you may want to make sure your fan is cycling on and off at the right temperature. Usually, if it is a low coolant or closrd thermostat problem, temps get very high very fast and stay high, fan or no fan. Like Shabby says, feel your hoses at the radiator and at the heater. If they are hot and the reservoir is full, your coolant and thermostat are probably OK. You can replace the thermostat fairly easily once you get that blasted hose clamp turned a little. Drill a small hole in the new Tstat first (1/16"-1/8"). Makes burping the system much easier. If your coolant is low, check under the car for coolant on the floor under the right forward corner of the engine. could be a bad water pump. Was it the fan module you replaced? One of Murphy's Laws states: "If it isn't working, look at the last thing you fixed first".
I will be sure to check tomorrow. My reservoir is full to where its supposed to be, havent had any puddles forming. What i do notice is that my fan doesnt really cycle at these temps. Its just always on while trying to stay cool. Highest ive seen on it yet was 221 after some spirited driving but only cools back down to 216 still. Thanks for the tips appreciate it

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I will be sure to check tomorrow. My reservoir is full to where its supposed to be, havent had any puddles forming. What i do notice is that my fan doesnt really cycle at these temps. Its just always on while trying to stay cool. Highest ive seen on it yet was 221 after some spirited driving but only cools back down to 216 still. Thanks for the tips appreciate it
This is just a wild guess, but it could be as simple as a bad temp sensor. It could be telling your car that the temp is higher than it actually is. Temp sensors are cheap and easy to replace. It is right beside the tstat housing.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So its winter now and freezing outside, i noticed the temps when driving on the highway are a bit on the low side, and by that i mean they can get as low as 165f for a short time but usually hover in the 170's. When i'm stuck in traffic they go past 195 then the fan turns on and they drop. I've never seen temps this low before, i wonder if that tiny 1/16" hole i drilled i has anything to do with it.
There's still plenty of heat coming from the vents and the car warms up just like it did before.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
So its winter now and freezing outside, i noticed the temps when driving on the highway are a bit on the low side, and by that i mean they can get as low as 165f for a short time but usually hover in the 170's. When i'm stuck in traffic they go past 195 then the fan turns on and they drop. I've never seen temps this low before, i wonder if that tiny 1/16" hole i drilled i has anything to do with it.
There's still plenty of heat coming from the vents and the car warms up just like it did before.
That 1/16" hole will make no difference at all. the thermostat will adjust to that. I have a 180f thermostat and my temps usually run around that number when moving but sometimes go to 200 or 212 at stoplights

·
Super Moderator
6,713 Posts
Are you certain that the "stock" thermostat you installed is really 180F? My thought is that it is either sticking open or not what you think it is.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you certain that the "stock" thermostat you installed is really 180F? My thought is that it is either sticking open or not what you think it is.
Its the oem ac delco, still have the old one but i don't feel like changing it in this weather to see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts