Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2007 GXP recently started overheating. It doesn't seem to be the usual overheat/no heat that I've seen on these forums. In fact I'm almost certain it has to do with the radiator fan but I'm open to more educated incite.

The details. I have a 50 mile round trip commute per day which is 95% freeway. It seems that as long as I'm moving at least 65 mph it will hold a steady 200 degrees. No blips or missteps there. However, as soon as traffic starts to back up or I hit one of the four traffic lights, it starts to heat up; fast. One light cycle can go from 200 to 230. Another light and its pull over time. My assumption is that my radiator fan is malfunctioning and not simulating air flow while I'm either moving slowly or stopped.

Now assuming I'm correct, where do I start? Is it a fuse or a relay? Is it the fan itself? Is there a simple diagnostic I can run or test the fan. No check engine light is on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Final thoughts, yes the coolant is topped off and out of curiosity, I tried blasting my heat while it started to overheat and it blows just fine. I've also noticed that in the past, when turning my car off after a long Las Vegas desert heat commute, the fan would often still be running. It no longer does that.

Midehv

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Check coolant tank cap. If it won't hold pressure, car will do as you describe. New cap is cheap.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
When you're parked, engine running, turn the A/C on. The fan should run. If it doesn't your supposition is correct.

With other who have had this issue (there are a few forum threads on this) it's been the fan motor itself that's the problem - not the relay/fuse. However, you should check the fuse in the underhood fuse block first, in case it's that simple.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I think you're barking up the right tree - as glake and 'mater said above. Check the fuse first because it's simple. If good I'd try applying 12v direct to the fan's terminals to see if it spins up.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Be aware that the fan receives a continuous modulated pulse from the ECM, that is in turn read and translated by a module which is built into the fan itself. This module reads the modulated pulse, and then adjusts the fan speed accordingly. My bet, assuming you find the fuse is good: That the control module has failed. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure you have to purchase an entire fan assembly; you can not purchase the control module separately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I started with the hopefully easy solution and checked the fuse. This image is taken from above. Looks fine to me.

As Tomatosoup suggested, I ran the car idle with the A/C on. Oddly, it never went above 190. The radiator fan also never came on but then again it never went over 200 degrees which is when I assumed it would start artificial air flow. However, I noticed that the A/C compressor would only turn on for a few seconds and then shut off. It was like the car knew that running the compressor in its current status was bad even though at that moment it was not overheating. Needless to say it wasn't blowing cold air either. Then I drove it home mostly freeway, but sure enough when I hit my lights it heated up. It was 220 when I got home and I idled it up to 240. All the while the radiator fan never came on and it cut out the A/C compressor again even though I had left the A/C on.

I'm pretty certain my problem lies in the radiator fan. As chickenwire suggested, I would like to simply run a wire from my battery to the fan to check it but GS Stage 1's comment makes me think its not that simple. Can I simply run a wire to the fan's terminal and see if it turns on or is it more complicated than that? I'm content buying a new fan, I just want to know that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
YEah, sounds like your fan fer shur. The A/C always switches the fan on by default, so if it's not on, then it's dead.

I wouldn't bother trouble shooting any more, since (as GS said) it could be the controller itself, but you still need to get the whole fan/shroud/controller piece.

See here for instruction on replacement: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/cooling-fan-broke-72664/

(Ignore the tip about going to SourceOne for the fan, they only have ones left for the 2.4 engine - which does not use the controller that the GXP's need)

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
So I started with the hopefully easy solution and checked the fuse. This image is taken from above. Looks fine to me.

As Tomatosoup suggested, I ran the car idle with the A/C on. Oddly, it never went above 190. The radiator fan also never came on but then again it never went over 200 degrees which is when I assumed it would start artificial air flow. However, I noticed that the A/C compressor would only turn on for a few seconds and then shut off. It was like the car knew that running the compressor in its current status was bad even though at that moment it was not overheating. Needless to say it wasn't blowing cold air either. Then I drove it home mostly freeway, but sure enough when I hit my lights it heated up. It was 220 when I got home and I idled it up to 240. All the while the radiator fan never came on and it cut out the A/C compressor again even though I had left the A/C on.

I'm pretty certain my problem lies in the radiator fan. As chickenwire suggested, I would like to simply run a wire from my battery to the fan to check it but GS Stage 1's comment makes me think its not that simple. Can I simply run a wire to the fan's terminal and see if it turns on or is it more complicated than that? I'm content buying a new fan, I just want to know that will solve the problem.
The AC control code checks the fan status and if it can not turn on the radiator fan, then it will not allow the AC to turn on. Its one of the checks. One of the challenges Dave had with my conversion was that the then version of the code was not turnining on the cooling fan so the AC would not enable.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
YEah, sounds like your fan fer shur. The A/C always switches the fan on by default, so if it's not on, then it's dead.

I wouldn't bother trouble shooting any more, since (as GS said) it could be the controller itself, but you still need to get the whole fan/shroud/controller piece.

See here for instruction on replacement: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/cooling-fan-broke-72664/

(Ignore the tip about going to SourceOne for the fan, they only have ones left for the 2.4 engine - which does not use the controller that the GXP's need)
Unless you managed to buy two radiator / cooling fan assemblies when they DID have them. ;):thumbs::grouphug::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts & Accessories, Truck Parts, Discount Auto Body Parts Online and specifically searched for a GXP fan and it came up with one for $107, which was significantly cheaper than any other I found. However, under fitment note it said NOT for turbo. Odd considering the site made it a point to say that this product would fit my 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP. So then I ran the search again but for a 2.4 L non-turbo and the same fan showed up. Seems odd to me. Thoughts? Where else should I look to buy a fan?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
For a small fee, I will break into Rob's garage and steal one of the Fan Assemblies. :lol:

I agree with TS: Fan Speed Control Module is FUBAR. And it is part of the fan assembly.

The only other possibility is that the ECM is not transmitting the modulated frequency pulse to the Fan Speed Control Module, or there is a problem with the circuit between the ECM and the FSCM. These are both low probability failure points. But you should be aware of them. I am sure there is a way to read the source line at the pigtail harness were it connects to the Fan, but I have never tried. My guess is that you should be able to read the signal with a multi-tester (probably have to read for micro-volts or micro-amps). Even with their funky modulated frequency pulse, there has to be some kind of readable voltage/amperage.

That is to cheap: I am thinking they don't know there is a different one for the turbo car (built in control module). The N/A cars do not have a built in control module, they run like a good old fashioned relay fan.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
That's silly. Dinosaurs didn't need fans. Remember what happened to them when they got too cold?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, there are 3 wires going into the fan, Black (ground), Red/Black (Hot at all times from fuseblock) and White (Cooling fan speed control). Another simple test would be checking the red/black for power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So my 2007 GXP recently started overheating. It doesn't seem to be the usual overheat/no heat that I've seen on these forums. In fact I'm almost certain it has to do with the radiator fan but I'm open to more educated incite.

Midehv
I went through this with my 07 GXP last year. Same symptoms and same behavior with the AC compressor kicking back off when trying to get the fan to run at idle. I was able to remove the fan control module and apply power directly to the fan to confirm the fan motor still worked.

After much fussing over it, I finally broke down and bought a new fan assembly since apparently the fan control module can't be purchased separately. Part #19130227 and ended up costing me $279 from GM Parts Direct. I just removed the fan controller from the new one and swapped it in place of the old to save the trouble of swapping the whole fan. Worked perfect after that.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, there are 3 wires going into the fan, Black (ground), Red/Black (Hot at all times from fuseblock) and White (Cooling fan speed control). Another simple test would be checking the red/black for power.
bobb - please note they're talking about the GXP which has an additional controller (apparently) on the fan itself. Different critter.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Wife came in and said the thermometer had come on :cuss:

Needed a K & N recharge kit, so I took the chance and headed out to O'Reily.
Heated up to 230 so I came back.

Turned on AC today and found no breeze from the fan. Stuck a piece of paper in the fan. Paper came out fine. Stuck finger in fan. Finger came out fine. :lol:

Checked fuse and my numbah wan fews don't look like the pictures here.

Went to fews store (O'Reily) and got 2.

Plugged it in and back to 192-198. A hot day and idling in traffic will tell.

Oh,
if there is no breeze on the engine side, it ain't turnin! :willy: :leaving:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts