Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's make a list of all the little tips people are finding to help others.

I'll clean out the tips and pull them into a locked thread at some later date.

Here's one that ex-Miata Man and I ran into....

Tip:
When unlocking the top at the windshield, leave the lock lever in OUT position. DO NOT PLACE IT BACK IN THE STOWED POSITION WHEN YOU CLOSE THE TOP. Do not be neat and tuck it back into top frame like in the closed position. Tucking it in causes the little hook to extend forward and when closing the trunk that latch hits the hook can causes mis-alignment when trying to lock the top.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm sorry I forgot to mention the thing about the top. I was told about it a couple months ago on my drive and simply just forgot.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Make sure to leave the windows down a bit when putting up the top so you do not crush the window weatherstripping.

·
Registered
936 Posts
When putting up the top I find it eaiser to latch the top before trying to shut the deck lid. Just the opposite of what the manual says. If I leave the top unlatched the deck lid is too hard to close and I have to pop the button again to retry.

·
Registered
288 Posts
ateam_77 said:
When putting up the top I find it eaiser to latch the top before trying to shut the deck lid. Just the opposite of what the manual says. If I leave the top unlatched the deck lid is too hard to close and I have to pop the button again to retry.
Ditto

Flagg

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rlhammon said:
Not to clutter the thread... but maybe a better place would be somewhere besides the current EOP/First 1000 Topic area since this applies to all Sols. Just a thought.
Yup. Don't worry too much about cluttering this thread, I'll pull out all the tips into a separate thread some day.

We are in the process of making some new forums and the first 1000 will become
an owners forum for all owners. I just threw it here for now.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I see some discussion of which to do first when putting the top up, lock the header or close the trunk? I actually found contridicting statements in the owners manual and extra pages they stuffed in that say to do it different ways?

1) One method says to lock the top first at the windshield, then close the trunk and snap the buttresses to trunk deck.

2) The other says to shut the trunk first, snap the buttesses and then lock the header at the windshield.

Seems like #1 is a little safer and gives you extra 1/2 of clearance when shutting the trunk (that you don't clip anything trying to shut it)????? Wonder if #1 puts any extra stress on the buttresses because the top is already tight????

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
mceb said:
I see some discussion of which to do first when putting the top up, lock the header or close the trunk? I actually found contridicting statements in the owners manual and extra pages they stuffed in that say to do it different ways?

1) One method says to lock the top first at the windshield, then close the trunk and snap the buttresses to trunk deck.

2) The other says to shut the trunk first, snap the buttesses and then lock the header at the windshield.

Seems like #2 is a little safer and gives you extra 1/2 of clearance when shutting the trunk (that you don't clip anything trying to shut it)????? Wonder if #2 puts any extra stress on the buttresses because the top is already tight????
I am confused, wouldn't the top be tighter if you latched the top at the windshield first like #1 says?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I seem to remember someone mentioning a couple in a post...only one I remember was to open the doors a bit when closing the hood to avoid damaging the paint... :willy:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Classic66vair said:
I am confused, wouldn't the top be tighter if you latched the top at the windshield first like #1 says?
Yes sorry. I had my #1 and #2 reversed. I fixed the original post.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
mceb said:
Yes sorry. I had my #1 and #2 reversed. I fixed the original post.
thats ok we all have the CRS syndrome sometime....

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
theartfuldodger, I editted your post to remove a certain name, just trying to keep him out of hot water if you know what I mean ;)

Tip is good though so I changed it to "someone" said.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mceb,
My info shows that your Lost Sol has been delivered!! Confirm please so that I can back extra church services for you this week.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Header first, then AFBTS

If it were trunk posts, then header, wouldn't you have to undo the top from the header every time you open the trunk?

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
This thread is a very good idea. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2KWK4U said:
If it were trunk posts, then header, wouldn't you have to undo the top from the header every time you open the trunk?
You have to pop the wings every time you go in the trunk any way (which is really cool james bond-like watching those things flip up)

This is the order of operations for putting the top up.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
RamJet said:
Mceb,
My info shows that your Lost Sol has been delivered!! Confirm please so that I can back extra church services for you this week.
mceb is off on vacation to the Jersey Shore. But he definitely got his Sol. I got to see it!!! :)
And in the nick of time too, it came in just a day or two before he left for vacation. Someone was definitely looking out for mceb! :blueangel

Edit: Looks like even on vacation, mceb can't stay away from the forum. :lol: How did your Solstice do on the ride south?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts