Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a mild horsepower increase. Performance Autowerks has a package that has a cold air intake, intercooler, new piping, throttlebody and intake spacers, a high flow cat, and a catback exhaust. They also have a service in this where they make the wheel of the compression side of the turbo bigger to handle more boost. I already have the catback and the 3 bar map sensors on there from the GMPP tune. My question, is there anything from this list that is missing your anyone would recommend for running more boost and power? as well as that, has anyone messed with the intake manifold and throttle body spacers and what is needed to install them? I was going to do all the bolt on stuff over the winter, then when it clears up, take a drive to P.Werks, get the K04 turbo upgraded and tune it on their dyno and see what happens.

Link for P.Werks package
The Home of WERKSracing products!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you just want a mild bump, I'd recommend the following.

High flow cat
Upgrade Intercooler
Term2 or Trifecta tune (pretty much any remote tune you trust).

If you'll want more power down the road, a turbo now might make sense. If you have dyno tune access then water/meth would help too. But you should start with opening the exhaust and getting the charge temps down, then tune to take advantage of the lower EGTs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Damnit, forgot to mention this. The intake and exhaust are worthy upgrades for sound, but performance improvements are negligible.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Hey Dr. Watson, It seems a bit steep. I agree with shabby...wr2 if you want over 400hp later.

If you go my route, HFC, CAI, Intercooler, piping and a tune, you should see 320-340hp at the wheels per the tuner at ZZP. I had mine tuned at ZZP and I don't have the HFC or intercooler. I'm at 300hp without those and mine was turned down because of knock he said would have been cured by those 2 additions. Remember, the internals are only good to about 400hp then stuff starts to break! And of course with higher mileage, they might break a lot sooner.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The highflow cat is by far the biggest restriction to making more power and i recommend that of all things.

The werks packages are good but i recommend a wr2 over the k04+. Even eith the expense its worth it over the k04+

One thing i strongly recommend is deciding your turbo upgrade. If you have the cash to do it at once do it because usually bigger turbos require changing out parts you previously bought. Example being the passenger intercooler pipe and other various things.

However the upside to the k04+ is that its a true bolt on affair and provides good gains and going bsck to stock would never be an issue. Also it makes good numbers and i have found for kappa owners its plenty of power for them.

The tune is the mosy important thing. A crap tune will blow the car up real quick. A good tune will yeild a lot of power safelty. I usually say 400whp is the limit for stock internals(i would do valve springs though) with good tuning. I made 442whp 450 ft lbs for a long time with a ton of racing and dyno passes before the car was totaled by a hit and run

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember, the internals are only good to about 400hp then stuff starts to break! And of course with higher mileage, they might break a lot sooner.
Good point on the internals, Ill stick with the K04 upgrade. However I'm not going to pay pwerks to do all the fun stuff. I'll pay for parts and do that at home over the winter. The tune I'll take a drive over there for as well as being able to directly hand the factory K04 and have them do the compressor wheel upgrade along with the tune. You are all right though. 5k for someone else to do all the fun stuff is really steep for me :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
Its a lot of labor to install stuff. Not to mention if you price everything up its not 5k in labor. Its 5k for parts and labor installed. The turbo is like 1000, the high flow cat is 375, the intercooler is 599 or something like that and daves dyno tunes run 500 and then whatever the rest of thr parts cost. So realistically your not paying a ton for labor.

Im not sure of your mechanical ability but if you can do it go for it.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
And don't forget the loss of your car while it is there. Even simple upgrades can take a lot of time when you least expect it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you just want a mild bump, I'd recommend the following.

High flow cat
Upgrade Intercooler
Term2 or Trifecta tune (pretty much any remote tune you trust).

If you'll want more power down the road, a turbo now might make sense. If you have dyno tune access then water/meth would help too. But you should start with opening the exhaust and getting the charge temps down, then tune to take advantage of the lower EGTs.
Does the Trifecta tune give gains even after the GMPP install?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts