Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a rat crawl up on top of the fuel tank and tried to build a nest over the winter.
When I started the car in the spring, I had the check engine light on. I pulled the code P0449 which is vent circuit problem.
Thanks to this forum I found out there is an inspection cover under the carpet in the trunk. I removed it and found the area packed with leaves and grass. I also found the wires to the vent solenoid chewed through (see picture) This explained the code so I disconnected the battery and soldered in a piece of wire to repair the rat damage. And then reconnected the battery.
But when I started the car, the CEL was still on so I pulled the code again and it came back with P0449. I erased it but it kept coming back.
I searched multiple forums looking for an answer and in a Cobalt forum someone mentioned an emissions fuse. So I look in the fuse box and #64 is a “Can Vent” fuse. I test it and it’s blown
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Waste container Automotive exterior
. I replace it (10 amp), erase the code and the light doesn’t come on. It’s fixed!!!
I am theorizing that the rat must have gotten a shock from chewing the wire and left without completing the nest!
Pictures of the fuse box cover and fuse location attached.
Electronic instrument Font Audio equipment Material property Electronic device
Gadget Wood Office equipment Font Rectangle

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
Good fix, and a good possible problem area to keep in mind for those who store their cars each year.

Moth balls come to mind as a preventative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good fix, and a good possible problem area to keep in mind for those who store their cars each year.

Moth balls come to mind as a preventative.
Definitely using moth balls this year when i tuck her in for the winter. I hope it works!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts