Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

P0833 Clutch position switch 2007 CEL

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  James_bee 
#1 ·
Repeatable issue:
Started occurring after GM dealer replaced ECM. ECM replaced to fix no-start issue.
CEL light comes on: P0833 code for clutch position switch B circuit, and cruise control does not work.
I tested the (upper) clutch switch. It was flaky.
I replaced it with new one, adjusted, and confirmed operation with multimeter.
I clear the code with scan tool, CEL goes off and cruise control works perfectly.
Drive a few miles, CEL comes back on with same code, cruise stops working.
Clear code, cruise works (including clutch switch cancel).
Drive a few miles...same same.
(I have confirmed that the clutch lower switch, start interlock, is good even though I don't think it would be related. Checked this switch before placing ECM.)
Could this be anything else besides the ECM?
Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Repeatable issue:
Started occurring after GM dealer replaced ECM. ECM replaced to fix no-start issue.
CEL light comes on: P0833 code for clutch position switch B circuit, and cruise control does not work.
I tested the (upper) clutch switch. It was flaky.
I replaced it with new one, adjusted, and confirmed operation with multimeter.
I clear the code with scan tool, CEL goes off and cruise control works perfectly.
Drive a few miles, CEL comes back on with same code, cruise stops working.
Clear code, cruise works (including clutch switch cancel).
Drive a few miles...same same.
(I have confirmed that the clutch lower switch, start interlock, is good even though I don't think it would be related. Checked this switch before placing ECM.)
Could this be anything else besides the ECM?
Thanks for your help.
This is the diagnostic for that DTC:

DTC P0833 Clutch Pedal Switch 2 Circuit

Circuit Description

The clutch switch is a normally closed switch, clutch pedal released. The engine control module (ECM) detects an ignition voltage on the clutch switch circuit when the clutch switch is closed. The ECM detects 0 volts on the clutch switch circuit when the clutch switch is open, clutch pedal depressed.

When the ECM detects a large number of gear changes without detecting a clutch switch transition, DTC P0833 sets. DTC P0833 is a type B DTC.

DTC Descriptor

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0833 Clutch Pedal Switch 2 Circuit

Conditions for Running the DTC

No VSS DTCs P0502 or P0503.
The vehicle speed is greater than 15 km/h (9 mph).
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM must detect 20 or more gear changes with less than 6 clutch pedal transitions.
Time between gear changes must be 4 seconds or greater.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The ECM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.
The ECM disables Cruise Control.
The ECM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The ECM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
The ECM stores DTC P0833 in ECM History during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The ECM turns OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic runs and passes.
A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.
The ECM clears the DTC from ECM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission-related diagnostic fault occurring.
The ECM cancels the DTC default actions when the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the ECM.
Test Description

The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.
2. This test confirms if the scan tool is receiving a clutch switch position signal.
3. This step inspects the clutch pedal connector and adjustment

#3 ·
John,
Thanks for the additional information. That is helpful. However, I've used a multimeter to test both clutch switches and they both work. There is adjustment on the position of the switches that determines where in the travel of the clutch that the switches open/close. Do you know if the ECM is sensitive to the position of the clutch when the signal changes? For example, should the signal trigger in the first or last 30% of clutch engagement?

#4 ·
There is no specific range for the adjustment of either switch, except that the bottom of travel switch should be set to actuate with the pedal "fully depressed" and the top of travel switch should actuate with the pedal "fully retracted". I suspect that the main criterion is that they not overlap, and that the top of travel switch open with every gear change.

#5 ·
John, thanks again for your input. What you said makes sense. I checked the timing of both switches and they are good. I decided to "punt" and take the car back to the GM shop. The problem CEL P0833 started immediately after they replaced the ECM.
(As luck would have it, my AC/Heat fan quit working on the way to the shop. Owning this car feels like having another boat.)

#6 ·
John, thanks again for your input. What you said makes sense. I checked the timing of both switches and they are good. I decided to "punt" and take the car back to the GM shop. The problem CEL P0833 started immediately after they replaced the ECM.
(As luck would have it, my AC/Heat fan quit working on the way to the shop. Owning this car feels like having another boat.)
Update:
Dealer replaced both clutch switches (for an outrageous fee), drove it for 40+ miles; seems to be working. I still don't understand how that could fix it because the switches tested fine and everything worked when I cleared the CEL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.