Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum Members

Bought my 07 gxp one year ago. Check engine light was on at the dealer....code p301. He replaced a plug and coil, cleared the code. Light came back on in a few days. No noticeable performance issues, by the way. Car ran great, no hesitation ---nothing. Had a mechanic trace misfires in real time as we drove it around under various loads, etc. with fancy computer.Very few misfires he said; but enough to flip a code. Found a frayed wire on the coil connector for cylinder 1 and replaced. Cleared code; light stayed off for months. Light comes back on - same code- ran a few cans of Lucas injector cleaner; in a few days light clears itself. Stays off for months; comes back on. Run a few cans of Lucas again....light stays on.

Isn't it odd that the original problem was clearly the frayed coil connector wire and the same code appears....now for some other reason? Also there have never been any drivability issues....just the light on steady, no blinking.

I've since replaced the water pump and the car is running 20 degrees cooler..could that hotter temps (216) have had any effect?

What do you think?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,653 Posts
P0301 can have several underlying causes in addition to spark problems:
  • Vacuum leaks
  • Low or high fuel pressure
  • Contaminated fuel (water or alcohol)
  • Restricted exhaust system
  • Vibration from brakes, wheels, driveshaft, etc
  • A damaged reluctor wheel
To try to identify spark issues you can switch the coil packs from one location to another. This will not identify wiring problems since the wiring always goes to the same cylinder, but it can identify a bad coil pack if the misfire moves to another cylinder.

I have not heard of temperature changes in that range causing misfire.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
How many miles? Have you ever changed plugs? Even though they are 100k mile plugs, they should be changed every 30k or so because of the forced air. I over-do it because I had an issue and change mine every 20k.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P0301 can have several underlying causes in addition to spark problems:
  • Vacuum leaks
  • Low or high fuel pressure
  • Contaminated fuel (water or alcohol)
  • Restricted exhaust system
  • Vibration from brakes, wheels, driveshaft, etc
  • A damaged reluctor wheel
To try to identify spark issues you can switch the coil packs from one location to another. This will not identify wiring problems since the wiring always goes to the same cylinder, but it can identify a bad coil pack if the misfire moves to another cylinder.

I have not heard of temperature changes in that range causing misfire.
Wow, don't even know what a reluctor wheel is? Misfire is always on #1 cylinder

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles? Have you ever changed plugs? Even though they are 100k mile plugs, they should be changed every 30k or so because of the forced air. I over-do it because I had an issue and change mine every 20k.
67K miles. We did pull he #1 plug and it looked good. The dealer had replaced #1 plug and coil last June so it only has a couple of thousand miles on. That said the rest could be original for all I know. It just seemed odd that the replaced coil connector cured it and then it came back months later, then the injector cleaner seemed to clear it and it came back again.
And you'd never sense by driving it that anything is amiss. Runs smooth and strong. Revs great and fast

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Just because it is easy to do, You might pull the #1 and #2 plugs and check the gap on both and swap their positions. Just to see if the code changes position. Also if the new plug is the same brand and part no. as the rest. At the same time time you could swap the #1 and #3 coil pack. If the code changes to the #2 or #3 position, you will know if it is the coil or plug that is bad. If the code appears again as P0301, you will at leas know that it is not the plug or coil.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Forum Members

Bought my 07 gxp one year ago. Check engine light was on at the dealer....code p301. He replaced a plug and coil, cleared the code. Light came back on in a few days. No noticeable performance issues, by the way. Car ran great, no hesitation ---nothing. Had a mechanic trace misfires in real time as we drove it around under various loads, etc. with fancy computer.Very few misfires he said; but enough to flip a code. Found a frayed wire on the coil connector for cylinder 1 and replaced. Cleared code; light stayed off for months. Light comes back on - same code- ran a few cans of Lucas injector cleaner; in a few days light clears itself. Stays off for months; comes back on. Run a few cans of Lucas again....light stays on.

Isn't it odd that the original problem was clearly the frayed coil connector wire and the same code appears....now for some other reason? Also there have never been any drivability issues....just the light on steady, no blinking.

I've since replaced the water pump and the car is running 20 degrees cooler..could that hotter temps (216) have had any effect?

What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So adding to this mystery I fixed a broken crankcase ventilation nipple hoping it might have something to do with the p0301 - light came on again anyway

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
could be an injector. Had the same problem with mine, checked all the coils and plugs, finally changed the #1 injector and fixed it. Actually, since I had all the injectors out anyway, I just changed them all. $35.00 each. It improved my gas mileage as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts