Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think that the Solstice automatic will really come with paddles, i mean, i love driving a stick, but this is going to be one of my daily drivers, and i gotta sit in traffic, so im probably gonna get an auto, but im not sure, but if they have those paddle shifters in them, auto will definetley be my choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, check out the research I did on the auto tranny that will be used in the Solstice... its under Technical Discussion: Researching the Solstice Automatic Tranny This tranny has had paddle-shifting functions before, but only on a show-car. However, the good news is that at the very least it should have a "sport" function like in the CTS. Sadly it will not be like the Audi systems, because it is a true automatic transmission. GM cannot afford to develop a BMW or AMG quality tranny with the electronic clutch stuff - think about how much the Solstice's price would go up! This auto tranny is very strong and has great potential and I wish people would stop bashing it because its "simply not a manual." It would be nice to have some manual functions with the added convenience of an automatic. Like you said, Skyolstice, crawling thru daily traffic with a manual transmission sux.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Detroit_Doc said:
Unless it's like the Ferrari or Audi systems (real gears with computer controlled clutches), it would be a waste.
Audi doesnt have a clutchless manual, ferrari has F1, and BMW has SMG, but i didnt think audi had one, they do have the CVT but maybe im wrong, i dunno??? but even so, i would still like to have it to have a little more control without my hand leaving the wheel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Audi has the DSG now - its an excellent box, there are two drive units running at both times, one for the gear you are in, and one for the next gear up. when you shift, the next gear is simply swapped in. The coming Porsche 997 Turbo will get this box, as the Tiptronic is very dated technology.

Regarding the Solstice automatic - if its not a 5 speed or a 6 speed - I will get the stick. The standard GM 4 speed in this car with a 4 cyl engine will not be good.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nyca said:
Audi has the DSG now - its an excellent box, there are two drive units running at both times, one for the gear you are in, and one for the next gear up. when you shift, the next gear is simply swapped in. The coming Porsche 997 Turbo will get this box, as the Tiptronic is very dated technology.

Regarding the Solstice automatic - if its not a 5 speed or a 6 speed - I will get the stick. The standard GM 4 speed in this car with a 4 cyl engine will not be good.
It is a 5 speed Auto, check...look here: http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp?brand=home
at it says it close to the bottom,
Optional 5-speed automatic transmission available early 2006.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm sure GM can buy a DSG type tranny for the Solstice....and any other car they produce.

They just have to want to...

Would be cool.

The next GM sports car I'll purchase will have a DSG dual clutch sequential. ..

·
Registered
114 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
I'm sure GM can buy a DSG type tranny for the Solstice....and any other car they produce.

They just have to want to...

Would be cool.

The next GM sports car I'll purchase will have a DSG dual clutch sequential. ..
GM probably won't have anything like this until the C7 Vette - 2010/2011.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts