1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
My Solstice has gotten to that age where the rock chips are really starting to show. I have 96,000km on her and she's really not show car worthy any longer. I've been thinking about a repaint of the front fascia, hood, rear fascia and perhaps a few other areas.

But last weekend , a friend suggested DR Colorchip . Here's the link
Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Question - has anybody tried this stuff?
I have and its not as easy as it looks, but the color match is perfect.... :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have used it several times on my GXP. Started in an out of the way spot to learn how to do it and build confidence in it. Works great, best by a long shot over anything else I've done in the past. Many of my chips have disappeared, I cannot find them now.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have used it several times on my GXP. Started in an out of the way spot to learn how to do it and build confidence in it. Works great, best by a long shot over anything else I've done in the past. Many of my chips have disappeared, I cannot find them now.
So does this only work if the damage is limited to the clear coat? Or will it fill it in if it's down to the primer?

·
Registered
292 Posts
You need to know and learn how to do it.
After you learn no chips.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I agree with everything that others have said. I think that trick is to put plenty of paint on the chip before you wipe it with you gloved finger. The color match is excellent.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The big thing is to get the air out of the
Chip hole. When you put your paint on the hole the
Paint will dimple take your rubber gloved finger and
Push the dimple flat into the chip hole. This will fill
the hole with paint. After it dry do step 2,3.
You have to learn how to do it.
When you get good at it. The car will look great
And no chips.
LLLFLY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts