Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black 2006 Solstice, purchased from the showroom floor. It's a garage-kept weekend car (mostly), with less than 20,000 miles on it.

I recently had it detailed (the first professional detailing), and after the job was done, the manager pointed out a lot of flaws in the paint. I'm not sure what you'd call the area, but it's the 3" panel at the bottom of the door, and then leads back to the larger panel between the door and rear tire well.

The flaws look like a million or so dots, that all go down to the primer.

My first thought was that this was just unfortunate road damage, but in retrospect, I see that these same flaws are on both sides, in the same places. What's odd is that the dots do NOT go up on the doors at all; it's strictly isolated to the 3" panel beneath the door and the panel between the door and rear tire well, on both sides.

That seems like a pretty big coincidence to me, which makes me think that it may be a defect. But after 6 years, I don't know if GM would be willing to do anything about it.

Is this a known issue with the '06? If so, is anything being done, or am I just going to have to cough up the dough for it to be painted?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've got those "dots" too. I think that it's just wear & tear from debris being kicked up by the tires. I have 2 friends w/Sols & they've experienced similar problems. I haven't heard about it being caused by a defect in the paint. I feel for you though b/c it must be VERY obvious on dark paint. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
It sounds like you are talking about the rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheels. This area receives a lot of road rash from sand and gravel thrown up by the front tires. One trip down the right road can do it. Many owners have applied clear bra to this area for that reason.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Rob,
If you apply the clear bra here is it possible for the debris to eventually perforate it, and if this happens can you remove the clear bra and replace it again? I don't want to solve one problem by giving myself a new problem.

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts
I agree with Rob. And even cars that have mud guards will still receive some "rash" in this area.

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
Rob,
If you apply the clear bra here is it possible for the debris to eventually perforate it, and if this happens can you remove the clear bra and replace it again? I don't want to solve one problem by giving myself a new problem.
The clear bra is a plastic film that is applied wet with a squeegie. It is removable. You just let it sit in the sun to warm up the adhesive and it should peel right off. Generally once you apply it its good for years.

Clear bra film is highly resistant to chipping. It is designed to deflect and / or absorbe impact by debris. I have seen cases where the metal under a bra was physically dented but the paint was intact because it was protected by the clear bra.

Its also a good idea to apply it to the bottom of your front bumper cover to help with curb rash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts