Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my '07 for a few weeks now I finally got around to detailing "Sylvia" over the weekend. Upon close inspection I discovered that the silver fenders don't match the rest of the panels. Also, the hood appears a bit "off" as well. Is this common with the silver cars? The carfax showed no accidents. Nonetheless, I still like this car....especially with the top down!:)

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
The fenders, hood and side panels should all match pretty closely. The bumpers, however, may well not match. This is simply due the factory painting process.

The front fender panels have a habit of getting beat up by improper lifting at the dealer (or other shop) and get chewed up along the bottom edges. That may have happened to yours and those panels replaced/repainted.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
After owning my '07 for a few weeks now I finally got around to detailing "Sylvia" over the weekend. Upon close inspection I discovered that the silver fenders don't match the rest of the panels. Also, the hood appears a bit "off" as well. Is this common with the silver cars? The carfax showed no accidents. Nonetheless, I still like this car....especially with the top down!:)
I have seen the Silver in different sun light looks to be a little shade off .Millers Silver Sky and some Solstice in different lighting fenders look lighter and hood looks light . I ask ??s at the factory about that . When the Robots are spraying the Parts they are done 4-6 at a time doors fenders hoods .

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
This has been discussed several times in the past so it is not your imagination. It appears to be more noticeable in the metallic colors, like silver. Some have said its due to the way the parts were painted separately in different locations and then assembled. Others have said some of it is due to different paint for the f,edible parts, more additive to make it flexible.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
And metallic is always best applied to the entire vehicle in the same mix out of the same gun at the same time, which doesn't happen today.

I've had customers request a metallic color in molded plastic that we do. I caution them that the flake aligns in the pattern that the plastic flows, will be on the surface at low pressure areas during molding, will be concentrated in others. In general, yeah, it can be done, but it can't be done easily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx all for the replies....next time I'll search the archives. I thought maybe the dealer did a a hood/fender re-paint.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Also, the front and rear fenders panels are convex whereas the door and hood are basically flat panels; add in that silver has an inherent tendency to reflect light light off differently and it can make an OEM paint job look mismatched.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
touch-up

This is the Co I get 1-2 oz bottles of touch up and factory colors in Spray cans.

Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Touchup Paint Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup | 888-710-5192[/url] If you have the paint code they can match it . :thumbs:

Automotivetouchup.com

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Also, the front and rear fenders panels are convex whereas the door and hood are basically flat panels; add in that silver has an inherent tendency to reflect light light off differently and it can make an OEM paint job look mismatched.
Every Sky I've ever looked at has an illusion of mis-matched paint between the door and rear quarter for exactly this reason.

But I have also noticed that some silver Sols have mis-matched paint and not a light reflection illusion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts