Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when i bought my used 06, the calipers were painted red. Little by little th epaint is starting to chip and I can see the cast silver base metal. I'm looking to re-paint them during its hibernation period this winter.

What is the preferred paint to use? G2? What kind of prep work needs to be done to get proper adhesion? Since its not going to be driven for months, I could take the calipers off compltely.

What are some of the other's experiences?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Wire brush, degrease, high temp prime and paint. Lots of options

I was looking for something a little more subtle than the red or yellow so went with this. Disclaimer - I don't do a lot of hard driving and working the brakes very hard so I'm not generating as much heat as frequently. I don't know how well my paint is going to hold up, but will find out over the next year or so.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Powder coating is definitely better but that means you have to take the calipers off the car, disassemble them, get new seals, have them powder coated, reassemble them and reinstall them on the car.

The G2 paint is good and I know that the G2 paint that I used on mine is solid and hasn't chipped since I put it on.

Powder coating is better but G2 is a close second.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Powder coating is definitely better but that means you have to take the calipers off the car, disassemble them, get new seals, have them powder coated, reassemble them and reinstall them on the car.

The G2 paint is good and I know that the G2 paint that I used on mine is solid and hasn't chipped since I put it on.

Powder coating is better but G2 is a close second.
So brush paint, not spray paint? What did you do about the clips that hold the pads in place and the spring clip on the rears?

·
Registered
199 Posts
So brush paint, not spray paint? What did you do about the clips that hold the pads in place and the spring clip on the rears?
I was just careful and painted around them.

Bob

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used VHT paint on my last car and it was winter driven. Was not peeling after 2 winters. Just make sure you prep the calipers and most temp resistant paint will work. I am doing this to my Sol this winter too.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
:agree: Cleanliness is the key indeed.

As for the clips - I removed them, but of course, I was spraying.

Blucas - you probably should check the center of the rotors while you have stuff apart to see if they need painting. That's what started the whole thing for me 'cause they looked like dog poo. Once I was in there I asked the wife what she thought about painting the calipers. (What the hell was I thinking?) :lol:

·
Registered
200 Posts
caliper paint

I used the G2 paint. I took the callipers off the discs, removed the clips and pads but did not disconnect the hydraulic lines. I supported the callipers on a selection of old paint cans and wooden blocks. The rears come in two pieces, they just slide apart. There are some rubber boots that comes off easily so you can paint without masking or getting the boots painty. I had the car up on four stands so when it came time to paint I kept going around the car until I had used up most of the paint. There is lots of paint, I was left with a bit, got tired of going around and around. I did a little bit of sanding and grinding to get rid of the casting lines and then clean clean clean. I used the little brush that was supplied with the G2 paint. The paint self levels, so you are left with no brush marks. They almost look as if they had been powder coated.

Good Luck, Don

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I used the G2 paint. I took the callipers off the discs, removed the clips and pads but did not disconnect the hydraulic lines. I supported the callipers on a selection of old paint cans and wooden blocks. The rears come in two pieces, they just slide apart. There are some rubber boots that comes off easily so you can paint without masking or getting the boots painty. I had the car up on four stands so when it came time to paint I kept going around the car until I had used up most of the paint. There is lots of paint, I was left with a bit, got tired of going around and around. I did a little bit of sanding and grinding to get rid of the casting lines and then clean clean clean. I used the little brush that was supplied with the G2 paint. The paint self levels, so you are left with no brush marks. They almost look as if they had been powder coated.

Good Luck, Don
:agree: ditto...

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
As for brush marks with G2 paint (to reinforce comments above), there's virtually no chance of getting brush marks with solid colors of G2. I have done it on multiple cars and the paint flows so easily and takes long enough to set that it's as smooth as can be.

In the link above, I mention stippling to avoid brush marks, but that was because I was using metallic G2 for the first time.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I agree with TS, not an issue at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts