Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted the silver trim around my windshield a gloss black, i think it definitely looks better than the silver, especially having chrome wheels.

Used:
1000 grit wetordry sandpaper
dupli-color gloss black
water spray bottle

I sprayed the 1000 grit sandpaper with my water spray bottle and basically just sanded the top layer of the A-Pillar off.

I did roughly 3 coats of gloss black and 2 coats of gloss clear coat.

I also plan on doing the back silver trim/back deck behind the seats tomorrow as well as re-painting my calipers.

AND if you're not good with painting, ASAP digital imaging has black & white vinyl wraps for the A-Pillar and back deck for $69 and 3M carbon fiber for $230

Home - ASAPGraphics

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Nice! This is definitely on my list of mods. Not sure if I want to go black or color match the car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
excuse the decals and cardinals plate(zip-tied LOL)...my team!

I plan to paint the back trim this afternoon if I have enough time but I will take some pictures of the process.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
On the whole, I think I prefer a body colour surround, but the black looks pretty good, although it reminds me of a 4th gen Camaro.

The silver surround, taken from the MGB, has never quite convinced me - maybe if it was a real brushed alloy surround like the MG it would have been a bit better.

I may also have been predisposed to a body colour surround as that is what the coupes like mine have.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the whole, I think I prefer a body colour surround, but the black looks pretty good, although it reminds me of a 4th gen Camaro.

The silver surround, taken from the MGB, has never quite convinced me - maybe if it was a real brushed alloy surround like the MG it would have been a bit better.

I may also have been predisposed to a body colour surround as that is what the coupes like mine have.
I thought if it were red to match my body color, it may be too much red. I do have some of my interior red and thought it might be too much. I do prefer it to match on the coupes, it looks much more cleaner, but in my case I prefer it black and it's easier than having to worry about the red paint to not match my body color.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been wanting to do this for a long time but haven't gotten around to actually doing. I'm glad it worked for you. It looks very good. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice!! that's one of the the first things I said to my dad when he bought it, "why is that "silver" and not black or body color?"

anyone had it vinyl wrapped? seen a few (whole) cars done; it lasts a pretty good while before it starts to look like crap; seems like it would be an easy way to check out the look before going the paint route

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Nice!! that's one of the the first things I said to my dad when he bought it, "why is that "silver" and not black or body color?"

anyone had it vinyl wrapped? seen a few (whole) cars done; it lasts a pretty good while before it starts to look like crap; seems like it would be an easy way to check out the look before going the paint route
ASAP does a vinyl kit for the windshield surround

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have no idea what Pontiac was thinking with them being silver, definitely should have been body color. I chose black instead because my theme is basically black and red, but if I need to repaint it then I may do red to switch it up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
292 Posts
The black looks very good.
Red would make the car to plain looking.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
I have no idea what Pontiac was thinking with them being silver, definitely should have been body color. I chose black instead because my theme is basically black and red, but if I need to repaint it then I may do red to switch it up a bit.
They intentionally wanted to mimic the earlier British sports cars in various ways - the windshield surround being specifically from the MGB. I don't know that I'd repaint if I had a convert, as the silver doesn't seem 'wrong' to me, but I am sure used to the body colour of my coupe and wouldn't want it any other colour.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks good......... My biggest gripe is the wrinkled sides of the tops. I put some foam rubber in there and it helped a lot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you going to do black wheels and/or door handles?
That would look good and keep with your theme.
Yep, I'm about to order Chevy Cobalt black door handles and hopefully I can have money after taxes for black rims and if not, I'll just paint mine :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts