Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love it! Looks so much classier than the silver or all black. Really turned out good.

Taped off the edge of silver and painted the grills with black plastidip. That way it's technically temporary. Decided it looked so amazing I added a couple layers of clear coat to protect.

I will say, taking the grills off is a nightmare. But all total, the project took about an hour. Totally worth it. ImageUploadedByAG Free1365391881.569826.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,477 Posts
Woo Hoo! Another user joins the club! Welcome to the Silver Surround Black Grill Club.

That was the first mod I did on my Solstice, 7 years ago.

. :yay:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woo Hoo! Another user joins the club! Welcome to the Silver Surround Black Grill Club.

That was the first mod I did on my Solstice, 7 years ago.

. :yay:
And it was your thread from 2005 that I read to learn how to do it. lol

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That's awesome. I have it on the to do list for mine.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,477 Posts
On the GXP I'd have to paint the edges silver, I wonder how that would work out?
The tape masking job is a lot tougher when going that way. Other than that little detail, it'd work out fine.

The key to painted grills is to make sure that you have very good paint adhesion, and then a lot of clear coat to prevent chipping.

Also, test your paint and clear coat combination together before painting the grills. The first time I did the grills there was some unwanted interactions between the black paint and the clear coat and I got some bubbling in the resulting finish, which chipped very easily.

Go for it! :yay:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Thank you for posting that, I'd forgotten that back then any time we did something to our new cars, we posted extensive how-to threads. Cool. :thumbs:
Okay, now we need the link to the how-to. :yesnod: Dave, I looked through the threads you've started but didn't see it.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks very, very nice on the Mysterious.
I was stunned after I got them in place. Haven't quit looking at them since. :D

When I painted my wheels black, my wife's reaction was modest. She thought it turned out better than she thought they would, but nothing special. After she saw the grills, her first reaction was, "wow! That looks nice!"

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,477 Posts
My observation is, at least on the red, the border around the grill makes the grilles appear to be smaller than they really are, kind of a fool-the-eye effect.

I think it makes the front end of the Solstice even better looking.

YMMV

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks good, let us know how it holds up. On my 06(NA) went with the S.S. race mesh grill, the car is dark blue metallic. Never did like the stock silver grill, so on my 09(NA) coupe decided to have the grill painted the same color (ruby red metallic) as the car. I like the new look.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I showed off my grill to a friend of ours who owns a GXP, an he wants me to give theirs the same treatment but obviously only adding the silver. Theirs is a mysterious as well. Should look good.

As for the rear valence. Does anyone have a picture of the painted rear that I saw a while back? I'm not sure who it was but google wasn't helping find the post where someone painted the honeycomb on the back silver. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts