Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always liked the two-toned interior look, especially black and red, so I've slowly been transforming my cockpit. Door panel inserts and center console were 1st, then just got around to painting the e-brake cover insert and the steering wheel controls and wheel.

I used SEM Cobalt Red, sprayed with HVLP airgun, then coated with acrylic clearcoat (with a dulling agent), because I was concerned the SEM dye/coating would not hold up. I figure if the clear starts to show wear, I can easily re-coat without pulling the wheel (it's a rub-on clear acrylic coating).

(Yeah I know I need to vacuum the interior lol)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole interior looks real nice!
Thanks!
I'm almost done. Next up is a custom shift knob with threaded M10x1.25 shift adapter, a custom shift boot and saddle bags (using a modified GM OEM saddlebag- modified because the OEM bags will not fit due to the DDM center console.) Then, I'm done with the interior.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Did you paint your door inserts too? Or did you buy new vinyl? If you painted any surface that it continuously touched, let me know how you feel about painting it in 6 months. I had a yellow Mustang with white interior....made the mistake of letting someone talk me into "painting" the leather white again...boy was I sorry!! I would get to work in my black dress pants, especially in the summer and my pants would have white all over them....Hope that doesn't happen to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you paint your door inserts too? Or did you buy new vinyl? If you painted any surface that it continuously touched, let me know how you feel about painting it in 6 months. I had a yellow Mustang with white interior....made the mistake of letting someone talk me into "painting" the leather white again...boy was I sorry!! I would get to work in my black dress pants, especially in the summer and my pants would have white all over them....Hope that doesn't happen to you.
I used SEM flexible paint (for vinyl), with adhesion promotor. Has held up great so far. Trying to coat leather seats is a bit different, and for that I'd use Leatherique (which I used in the past with great success on my C3 Corvette seats.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts