Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What wheel finish did you order?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm second guessing my decision to stick with painted wheels on my Cool colored car. I was hoping to keep it smooth with less bling, but I just saw a Boxter at lunch today in a light silver with chrome wheels and it looked pretty good. Sorry if this has been done before, but I did search and found nothing.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Polished is just about right for me, not as much shine as chrome but still good (kind of a duller shine to it).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Polished, I'm looking at racing and they save some weight.

Options for me were:

LSD
ABS
middle radio
polished wheels

P.S. I'm also running longer distances for the same reason as above.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've thought about it some more...

Looking at mceb's pics of the solstice in NY, it really doesn't look flashy at all, just sporty. Also, 500 bucks is 500 bucks, but that works out to be only about a 2% price increase. I've decided to head do the dealer after work with intent to upgrade.

Thanks for helping me talk myself into spending more money! :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
painted or polished

:cheers: The day I ordered I selected the painted wheels, thought about it and changed to polished a few days later, my color is mysterious, thought the polished would look better, I think the painted would look good on Sly though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I ordered the painted wheels and have the intention of having them powder coated the same color as the body (Deep). I am also thinking about then having the wheels pinstriped a gold metalflake over the Deep to tie in with the Steel and Tan interior. It appears that the cost to do this will be between the polished aluminum wheels and the chrome plated ones. If the painted wheels do not look like the polished ones (spoke width, etc.), I will scrap these plans for the polished ones.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I ordered the painted finish since my stock rims will be used for mounting my snow tires (yes I will be driving my Sol during the winter ). I plan to get custom chrome rims in a style I choose so I will be slightly "customized."

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ex-Miata Man said:
I ordered the painted finish since my stock rims will be used for mounting my snow tires (yes I will be driving my Sol during the winter ). I plan to get custom chrome rims in a style I choose so I will be slightly "customized."
I Just did a TireRack search for 245/45/18 snow tires and the cheapest came in at $186/tire. Ouch!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am looking forward to the availability of the Chrome option! Since I am not getting an EOP vehicle, I should be able to get them!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Paint's to plain and dull, chrome's to bling-bling, "Hey look at me!" and polished seems just right. That was my thinking anyhow.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I started out with polished wheels, but after a couple of days changed to painted. I used to have polished wheels on my motorcycle, and cleaning them with Mothers metal polish was tedious.

·
Registered
905 Posts
At the dealer I went to, the guy showed me his Grand Prix with Polished and I fell in love. I have painted aluminum on my Sunfire, which has held up pretty well over the years, but nothing as shiny as the polished.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
shoeman said:
I THOUGH WE DID NOT HAVE A CHOICE ON WHEELS ON THE FRIST 1000 IS THIS CORRECT??????? :willy: :willy:
The standard rims are painted. You can upgrade to polished aluminum for I think an extra $495. There is a third option, chrome wheels, which are currently delayed and not available for the first 1,000.

So basically, there will ulimately be three choices, but you can only get the first two for EOP orders.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey, Shoeman, where did you hear that?

My dealer offered me the choice of the three different finishes on the wheels. Since I am going with Cool, I elected to get the painted wheels as they match the paint.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I am looking forward to the availability of the Chrome option! Since I am not getting an EOP vehicle, I should be able to get them!
I agree, waiting for the automatic anyway, so I'll get the chrome. This will be a cruiser for me, as well as a daily driver. I won't be racing it (aside from blowing away the occasional youngster in the Civic at the light) so weight is not an issue.
However, I've lost 36 lbs in anticipation of LOOKING GOOD in my roadster!!! :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Painted.

Polished or chrome would be too flashy and detract from the body (unless you're on a platform display at an autoshow). Other drivers feel the need to put flashy wheels on boring cars (read any other American car, Hondas) to add the illusion of personality. I don't think the Solstice design needs any help.

Plus, from everything I've heard about them, sounds like cleaning polished or chrome wheels is a nightmare. If I was getting black instead of gray I might consider polished. (My assumptions are based around the painted wheel being the same pattern as the polished).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
lupin said:
Painted.

Polished or chrome would be too flashy and detract from the body (unless you're on a platform display at an autoshow). Other drivers feel the need to put flashy wheels on boring cars (read any other American car, Hondas) to add the illusion of personality. I don't think the Solstice design needs any help.

Plus, from everything I've heard about them, sounds like cleaning polished or chrome wheels is a nightmare. If I was getting black instead of gray I might consider polished. (My assumptions are based around the painted wheel being the same pattern as the polished).
From what I can tell, a good factory chrome rim is fairly easy to keep clean and polished. Just wash them up! Even in the northeast where road salt is very hard on rims of all kinds, older GM cars with chrome still look pretty good.

In fact, I bet they hold up better than the polished rims in this reagion. No matter what, road salt always gets behind the clearcoat on polished aluminum rims, and corrodes it within a year or two. (not a big deal if the vehicle is garaged winters).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts