Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the front A-Pillar trim yesterday and finished up with the back trim today.

Here's a short a how-to/how I did:

Items used in picture below:

Everything taped off and wet-sanded with 1000 grit paper:

The 2nd/3rd coat of paint:

The 2nd coat of clear coat:

Just a few pictures of the final product:

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I like it and I like your red boomerang!!!:thumbs: Excellent pics!!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
I like it a lot... Are you going for a high gloss finish or matte/satin? Hard to tell from the photos

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Looks great, personally, I *HATE* the silver [email protected] that they came with, so for those who say :barf: at this, I say :barf: at stock! Pfffft!
Keep on rockin D'Rock, and I should post for you a pick of my red and black dash, since now have two Sols with black outside trim/tulips, and red and black interiors. :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like it a lot... Are you going for a high gloss finish or matte/satin? Hard to tell from the photos
It's a gloss finish

Looks great, personally, I *HATE* the silver [email protected] that they came with, so for those who say :barf: at this, I say :barf: at stock! Pfffft!
Keep on rockin D'Rock, and I should post for you a pick of my red and black dash, since now have two Sols with black outside trim/tulips, and red and black interiors. :thumbs:
I love your dash! I was thinking about re-doing mine a little and cover up some of the red, it's a lot of red at one time. I am probably ordering the dash trim kit in a red fiber look or a red and black fiber look. I posted the link in one of my replies. But yeah, black and red is a MEAN combo to run, i love it!:thumbs:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks very nice....:thumbs:

Now you need to buy some compound to finish the job... :)
Great idea! I plan on doing something in the next couple days when I have more time, I need to do the front pillar and rear deck, but it's going to happen!:cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the way it looks. My concern is how it will hold up as there is no hardener in the paint. I used the duplicolor paint and clear on my mud flaps and I know I will have to get them done at a body shop because they are not holding up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not entirely finished yet, I plan to compound it hopefully today or tomorrow and it should hold up pretty good then

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
I like the way it looks. My concern is how it will hold up as there is no hardener in the paint. I used the duplicolor paint and clear on my mud flaps and I know I will have to get them done at a body shop because they are not holding up.
I originally painted my grills with duplicolor paint and clear. It didn't take long for them to be shredded by road grit, insects and stones.

I had another set of grills painted and cleared by my body shop, and they have held up for going on 6 years now, with no damage whatsoever.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm having the weirdest feeling of deja-vu about a red car with black trim. I dig it!

I also HATE the silver surround... on anything but the cool. Nice job!

I'm thinking of plasti-dipping my tulip since i preferred color matching the surround and don't want to pay for the tulip.
I was just about to plasti-dip mine but I was out so I figured it would look pretty good either way so I just painted.

If it doesn't hold up good, I plan to get it done professionally. I believe it will last a while and I just hope it does.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But I did just plasti-dip and clear coat my stock rims/wheels, turned out pretty good and I think I would like them permanent powder coated!! I love plasti-dip!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I like your solution Tazz, I painted all the silver on mine to match the factory paint 5 years ago, did the door handles as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts