Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I was originally thinking I'd wait for the release of the turbo Solistice, I'm thinking now I may just order the current Solstice. Guess I'm getting the "fever." ;)

I'd get most of the options but don't know about the polished wheels. So what do you think, go for the polished or stay with the painted? Any advantages? Sorry, the chrome option is just too bright for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cooler King said:
Even though I was originally thinking I'd wait for the release of the turbo Solistice, I'm thinking now I may just order the current Solstice. Guess I'm getting the "fever." ;)

I'd get most of the options but don't know about the polished wheels. So what do you think, go for the polished or stay with the painted? Any advantages? Sorry, the chrome option is just too bright for me.
What color are u thinking about?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cooler King said:
Green... or Envious, in Solstice-speak.
My personal taste would be the polished, I like the polished on the darker colors or aggressive, I think Sly amd Cool would be ok with painted. JMO!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link, 49N. Looks like the polished may be similar to the chrome and just a little too bright for my taste. At this point, I'm leaning towards the painted. The Aggressive sure looks nice, even on a carrier.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Over the years, I've had cars and trucks with both painted and polished wheels. In my opinion, the painted wheels are easier to keep clean and maintain, but the polished wheels look better...they catch the eye, but don't have the bling-bling factor of chrome.

I will order my Solstice with polished wheels, and maybe once the rush is over, I'll pick up a set of painted wheels to use for the occasional autocross event.

G

·
We wanted the chrome, but when I ordered they weren't available so we went with the polished. After the car arrives, I will be taking the wheels to a shop that will polish them even more.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
del_utz said:
My personal taste would be the polished, I like the polished on the darker colors or aggressive, I think Sly amd Cool would be ok with painted. JMO!
On the contrary, after much thought... I have a feeling that the painted will look better on Aggressive. I get this feeling because it helps set the car off better, and give it a good stance. Because the polished is so reflective, when it's dark out the wheel will reflect the darkness. Thus making the wheels look bland and kinda dissappear. But the painted, even when it's dark out, will still stand out and look bright. The red car will always stand out, so I want the wheels to always stand out too! :)

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Just to add a little "BTW" information ... the chrome option is now on the Exchange New Car Sales site

http://www.encs.com/MCSCM/DocLib.nsf/ChromeIframe?OpenPage

They might have the same option on Edmunds, but I use this site, which caters to service members who are overseas.

They have the PD5 Wheels / Chrome costing $695 MSRP, as an upgrade option. I am sticking with the polished (cost me $440.50) but I could have upgraded to chrome for about $180 extra.

·
2,574 Posts
del_utz said:
My exact thinking here, Del. Agressive and darker colors will benefit from polished wheels. I'm going with agressive and chrome. Never a mistake to go with factory chrome IMO. Price and quality wise. Same with leather (which makes sense to me in a 'vert). Most honest dealers I've met say those two dealer options hold their value and usually the price is a bargain. I think it is here.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
:agree: The red, black, blue and green look amazing with the polished wheels because of the contrast. A toss up on the Sly.

Lighter colours of silver and white not sure it makes a difference. In fact I saw and took pictures of a cool without even realizing the wheels were painted.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ordered deep (dk blue) and went with painted. My backwards logic is that I want people to look at the car's lines and not the wheel. Plus, I figured most people with my color would get polished, so I'd be a little more unique :)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I also order Deep with the painted rims but for another reason. Since my Solstice will generally be a daily driver, I'll be using the painted rims for snow tires and will order custom rims in the spring. I would guess that by spring there should be a full range of rim options available from both GM and the aftermarket crowd.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AverageJoe said:
I ordered deep (dk blue) and went with painted. My backwards logic is that I want people to look at the car's lines and not the wheel. Plus, I figured most people with my color would get polished, so I'd be a little more unique :)
Thanks for all the input. I went with painted. I prefer the less shiny look and the bottom line is they're standard and no extra charge. I can always upgrade later after I've accumulated the inevitable "curb rash" on the wheels.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I went with the painted wheels for a whole different reason. Kept it cheap. That's 'cuz I plan on going with ultra light aftermarket 17" wheels and tires as soon as the first set of rubber needs replacement. Figure it'll help performance, gas mileage and give it an individual identity it'll need 'cuz of all you other Solstice drivers out there. At that point, I'll probably be going to polished. But black chrome on a Sly Solstice would look great. Oh and I'll probably polish the brake calipers one side at a time. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.