Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any exprience with painted wheels? I only ordered them because I thought they would match the windshield surround. If they are going to chip and look like hell in a year or two, I think I will change my order while I still can.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I have painted wheels on my ZX2 S/R. As long as I've remembered to keep them clean it stops the brake dust from caking in. Only problem so far has been road rash, but a polished wheel would get ruined by that too.

However I've got a 1978 Porsche 924 with painted wheels too. I did my best to clean them last weekend, but it's never going to look good unless I get them sand blasted and repainted. 27 years of use has caused brake dust to pretty much become one with the paint on the inside of the rims, plus decades of the brake dust and road debris being shot at the inside of the rim has pock marked it beyond belief.

It's probably a good idea to remove the rims every several 1000 miles, maybe before a rotation or balancing and wash the entire wheel inside and out. Other forum members have suggested waxing the rims after washing them too. This should help make them much easier to clean next time you wash, and give some protection against debris and brake dust ruining the rim.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Del Solstice said:
Has anyone had any exprience with painted wheels? I only ordered them because I thought they would match the windshield surround. If they are going to chip and look like hell in a year or two, I think I will change my order while I still can.
The polished wheels will be painted with a clear coat anyway. Also, the color paint on wheels is generally a very durable finish, and they seem to hold up well. Next time your at the store, check out some cars with painted aluminum wheels. IMO, they hold up better than polished and brushed wheels with clearcoat, because those wheels tend to show corrosion after a couple years.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I agree hence ordered painted, spent the money on ABS and limited slip differential instead.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I ordered the painted wheles like you did. I will use the difference I saved to buy a set of custom chrome rims to run during good weather and keep the painted wheels for mounting my snow tires.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm going with the painted wheels. I couldn't see spending the money on basically the same wheel only polished.

My 1998 s10 truck has paint on the alloys, holds up just fine.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Polished

Every polished wheel I have has has corroded because the clear coat doesn't hold up. I would'nt get another set. I chose the painted because I have never has a problem. When the chrome becomes available I think that would be a safe bet. Probably within the year you will be able to buy chromes online for abotu $500!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Or just opt for the painted ones and get them chrome dipped...

But yeah, I went for painted because even the polished alum is too blingy for me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I ordered the painted wheles like you did. I will use the difference I saved to buy a set of custom chrome rims to run during good weather and keep the painted wheels for mounting my snow tires.
SNOW TIRES I guess you dont plan on keeping yours long.
If you dont have a car to drive in the winter, by some piece of junk to drive in the winter.I myself do not plan on driving it in the winter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Painted wheels will hold up for a good while in nice weather. If you get snow and they salt the roads often then they tend to peel quickly.

Best option, power coat the wheels. Never cracks or peels; will even hold up to small dents and chips. Electro-bonded finished that is as hard as the wheels themselves! Average cost is $200-$250 for 4 wheels in perfect condition; extra if wheel has slight damage needing repair.

Would recommend you wait until your first tire replacement to save on the cost of tire removal/replacement.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Delnari said:
Painted wheels will hold up for a good while in nice weather. If you get snow and they salt the roads often then they tend to peel quickly.
Not to dispute, but in my neck of the woods we see as much salt on the roads as anywhere, and painted wheels hold up very well. I have seen 10 year old stock painted wheels that are still in good shape. A polished wheel that is clearcoated would have long since corroded up. Factory chrome tends to last too, especially from GM.

I cannot speak for all automakers, but the major ones (GM included) use a very tough, durable finish on their painted wheels. I have always assumed it is a powder coating, but am not positive. Either way, it holds up great.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My 02 SS Camaro wheels are a similar color and probably use the same manufacturing processes. My wheels are not peeling and they have been through three salt winters in Salt Lake City. I'll wax them a couple times a year but thats it.

The polished cast aluminum wheels actually require a good amount of mother's polish to stay looking good through the winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:

"snow tires"...what are they???

Greybird...Aggressive....to be garaged in beautiful downtown southwest Florida!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have painted aluminum wheels on my 97 Sunfire and they've held up nicely, just make sure to keep the brake dust off of them. It's a mother to get them cleaned!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was able to order the Chrome Wheel since the dealer doesn't expect delivery until after Sept. The Apprentice brochure has Chrome Wheels listed beginning Sept. 05.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts