Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Yellow 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP 5 Speed Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a yellow GXP and would like to paint the calipers. Is it as easy as following a guide on YouTube? Or are there any quirks. I am either doing red or black. Leaning red and getting black wheels. Any suggestions and links to good guides? I really appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,667 Posts
There have been many discussions about this. I suggest a forum search to see if you can find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
Yellow 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP 5 Speed Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you painted the calipers without taking them off and with a brush and the G2 paint? How are they holding up since? I'm replacing my rotors so I'm going to take them off. Is there worry that paint is going to get in places it's not? Like on the rotor or anything else on the calipers? The pictures in your post look really great, how did you do the GXP text on top of the paint?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I removed mine three years ago. The brackets were painted black and the calipers painted red. I applied several coats with complete dry time in between then clear coated multiple coats after applying solstice logos on the calipers. Mine have held up really well. I used high temp engine paint and sprayed them while hanging. Completely taped off the line connections and bleeders before painting. Just be sure all the fluid is drained from the caliper before painting or the results won't be as good if the fluid leaks out on fresh paint.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
So you painted the calipers without taking them off and with a brush and the G2 paint? How are they holding up since? I'm replacing my rotors so I'm going to take them off. Is there worry that paint is going to get in places it's not? Like on the rotor or anything else on the calipers? The pictures in your post look really great, how did you do the GXP text on top of the paint?
As I recall (it's been a few years) I took the rotors off, but left the calipers loosely attached. I taped off rubber hoses and bellows, etc. to protect from paint Yes, painted with a cheap shop brush - the G2 stuff is great, all brush strokes just flow out.

The GXP text were vinyl stickers I applied after the paint had hardened. Still looks as good as new - but as I said in that post, prep is key. Make sure the surfaces are clean and rought the finish with sandpaper for a good key (you won't be able to see any scratch marks after the paint has flowed).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I painted my calipers red with the G2 paint and they look great. Prep work is essential, cleaning the calipers first with the brake cleaner and wire brush. I left mine on and taped pads,hoses, etc. It’s a small can but there is plenty of paint, so I put on three light coats, and by the third coat it’s completely covered, and the paint is self-leveling so there are no brush strokes. The only “complaint” I have is the red is a little brighter then the Pontiac red color on emblems, my Solstice is black so not a huge matching issue.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Another here that used the G2 paint after previously trying the Duplicolor product. The G2, after 10 years looks as good as the day it went on and wouldn't use anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts