Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody painted their dooe handles to match the car? What do you do about the chrome plating on the plastic? rough it up? sand it off?

Just changed out my old handles for new pair with epoxy poured in to reinforce them. Have repaired the old ones that were cracked at the attachment points and have some paint left over from installing one of norm's rear fascias.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
You may be interested in this:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be interested in this:
Hadn't thought of that. I could paint the covers and if I don't like the look I can just remove them. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Otherwise, buy cheap black Cobalt door handles off eBay and paint those. Chrome - even if roughened - is notoriously difficult for paint to adhere to. Especially in a place that gets touched/rubbed/scratched continually.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Otherwise, buy cheap black Cobalt door handles off eBay and paint those. Chrome - even if roughened - is notoriously difficult for paint to adhere to. Especially in a place that gets touched/rubbed/scratched continually.
You notice how you can polish chrome to be really shiny? That means it really slick, and, as the Soupmaster says, nothing likes to stick to slick.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
saw a youtube video that demonstrated how soaking the plated part in bleach or purple power for half hour or so removed all the chrome without harming the plastic. Haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oven cleaner is used to remove chrome on headlights. Black plastic is underneath

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oven cleaner is used to remove chrome on headlights. Black plastic is underneath
and it does not harm the plastic? may have to try that.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
No. Sorry. It will not work on heavy real-chrome, like on the door handles. Agreed, it works fine on headlight reflectors, but that's a different process and not nearly so strong/resistant (it's probably not even chrome, or if it is, it's VERY thin).

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Buy the Cobalt handles - maybe, just maybe, they might even come in the color you want. ( But if I recall correctly, most are unpainted... )

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
No. Sorry. It will not work on heavy real-chrome, like on the door handles. Agreed, it works fine on headlight reflectors, but that's a different process and not nearly so strong/resistant (it's probably not even chrome, or if it is, it's VERY thin).
The handles are a true electro-chrome plating. The headlight lenses would (most likely) be vacuum metallized.

The plating works by acid eating into the styrene molecules of the ABS material, subsequent baths are used to deposit chrome into the resultant "pits", then voltage is applied causing those deposits to arc from one to the next, leaving a trail of chrome between them. As this continues a bajillion times it eventually covers the whole surface.

Vac-metallizing works in a vacuum chamber. By working in a vacuum, the melting point of the metal is greatly reduced, allowing the metal filament to "vaporize" and be depositing onto the desired surface. It is much less expensive than a true plating process and doesn't have the nasty chemicals involved. However, it is - as you said - VERY thin and nowhere near as hard as a chrome. Also, it's basically a "coating" where there is more of an interlocking bond with plating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts