Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking about painting the front grill on my solstice black. It is currently the NA silver. What would be the best paint for this job that would last and not create a maintanence issue but still look good? My car is black and I want to try and match the same level of glossiness.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
My favorite local body shop painted mine for $60 a pair. (I have 2 pairs...) They did a good, professional job of them....clearcoated and ready to re-install. I didn't have to worry about my lack of ability or lack of professional equipment and was really surprised at how cheaply it was done. Might be worth checking with a body shop and seeing what they would charge.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I also had the local body shop paint mine. 7 1/2 years later, there are no chips or anything else. They still look brand new.

Previous to that I had painted mine using Duplicolor primer, color coat, and clear coat, (2 coats of each). Within a month, they looked like crap, with chips all over the place.

To me it was certainly worthwhile to have them done professionally.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I think a few of the guys used plastidip on thiers and from what I remember, it's held up nicely. I'm going to do the ones in my 06 and had bought some satin black professional finish spray from sherwin williams. still not sure which one Im going to use though. May go with the plastidip and finish it with some glossifier. the ones on my GXP are not shiny so the satin would match it but I could easily hit them with a clear coat if I wanted too. Still not sure.

are you planning on taking them off first? that's the way to go. I'm gonna pressure wash mine but you could easily throw them in the dishwasher as well. just be sure and set it on air dry.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think a few of the guys used plastidip on thiers and from what I remember, it's held up nicely. I'm going to do the ones in my 06 and had bought some satin black professional finish spray from sherwin williams. still not sure which one Im going to use though. May go with the plastidip and finish it with some glossifier. the ones on my GXP are not shiny so the satin would match it but I could easily hit them with a clear coat if I wanted too. Still not sure.

are you planning on taking them off first? that's the way to go. I'm gonna pressure wash mine but you could easily throw them in the dishwasher as well. just be sure and set it on air dry.
I have been wondering about the grill and the window trimming (the silver lining around the windshield). TX, you mind sending me an email with which paints to use? I was thinking about painting both red (if that makes a difference)

On topic, if anybody paints it before I do, would you mind posting a video or a step-by-step picture sequence? Much appreciated if you could also list the equipments used and procedures.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Boy, what is up with you and red paint? If you want to be different, I'd paint the frame around the windshield black as well as the tulip panel and put either a single or dual RED stripe that goes from the front of the car to the rear. You could use plastidip with glossifier and possibly metalizer and that way if you hate it you can peel it off. Tomato soup just did a single black stripe on his and it turned out awesome. I'll try and find you the link to that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I might hijack the thread a bit if no one minds. I'm thinking of doing plastidip to do my windshield surround in black to match the body of my car. I'm not sure what bits I should use to get that same metallic black look. Just black with some gloss coats? Metallizer wouldn't be a good match, I don't think.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
Six years and counting on my grills. Blasted, primed, painted, cleared, installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Rob, I thought about beed blasting mine first too.

Seltzer, If you want to make it permenent and do it right, I'd wetsand the surroud with 600 just enough to make it dull and then I'd get black auto touch up paint and put a few coats of that on it. I dont know if the color is just black or if it has some metal flake in it but if it does then I'd order a can of touchup paint for your exact model to ensure an exact match. I doubt the whole process would take a couple hours.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/buypaint

However, if it's just a plain black then you can get duplicolor black at the autoparts store. I bought some for my 05 montero sport and got the big can which says for trucks and it was perfect. JUst be careful cause the universal black has a light metalflake in it. you have to get the other.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I think that's a difference of about 80 bucks and to tell you the truth, the GXP grills could stand to have a coat of paint on them themselves.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
I think that's a difference of about 80 bucks and to tell you the truth, the GXP grills could stand to have a coat of paint on them themselves.
Mine are painted because the factory units turn gray over time and exposure to the sun. They also get very dull looking. Worse they change color and texture differently based on location.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
see, mine are already starting to look a bit dull and have a white haze to them. what type medium did you use to blast them with? and were they still smooth afterwards?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In a perfect world, I'd get a GXP front bumper with all the inserts but I havn't found anything.

·
Registered
625 Posts
For what it is worth, my 2010 Camaro grill started to turn a powder grey. Used Duplicolor trim paint. Worked perfectly with no chips....so far.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I also had the local body shop paint mine. 7 1/2 years later, there are no chips or anything else. They still look brand new.

Previous to that I had painted mine using Duplicolor primer, color coat, and clear coat, (2 coats of each). Within a month, they looked like crap, with chips all over the place.

To me it was certainly worthwhile to have them done professionally.

YMMV

What did they do to get rid of the old paint. Did they paint over or strip them?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
What did they do to get rid of the old paint. Did they paint over or strip them?
I bought an additional pair of silver grills. They masked and then painted over the existing paint, as I wanted the silver edge as an outline.

I then stripped the original grills using SEM Urethane Bumper Stripper, and repainted them all black over the black substrate. I was planning on using them as spares, but have never needed them.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha. Having a wife and 5 kids keeps me from spending all that for a new front bumper cover although it would the nice. Looks good though king.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts