Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both headlights out of the car; taken apart; chrome removed; and I am prepping the plastic for painting. I intend to sand the plastic with probably 400 – 600 grit paper but I am wondering about priming the plastic before I paint it. The paint I have bought is Sherwin Williams for the base and clear coat. Also, need I add to the mastic when I put them back together? If so, what mastic do I use?
Dave

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I sprayed mine with a plastic primer first, but didn't sand prep. I found there was enough goo to not need any additional mastic when I put them back together.

YMMV :)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Post some photos Dave, I like doing stuff like this.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I made the mistake of setting the lens back on top of the base while I was painting the trim. It was difficult to get it apart later for reassembly. There was plenty of glue on both of mine so I did not need to add any additional glue.

Mine were lightly sanded, primed, shot with color then cleared. :thumbs:

·
Registered
167 Posts
i wouldnt sand at all if i were you. once the chrome is all stripped i would just clean them really goos with alcohol or mineral spirits and then spray as is. two coats should be all you need since these dont get any wear being under the headlight lens.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What color are you painting the plastic? I stripped mine using easy off oven cleaner and the result was a nice gloss black. Required no paint.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Your link got shortened and doesn't work. Use the forum image icon (mountain with yellow sky) and paste the link in that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts