Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have a mural painted on my hood liner. Is there anything special I need to do to prep it before painting and is there any special type paint I need to buy? Thanks for any advice on this.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Tried painting mine satin black and to be honest with you I did not like the way it turned out so I ended up getting a new liner . I tried cleaning it before I started and the liner started to get some fuzzys on it (like lint on a sweater) so I stopped and just painted it .I cleaned it off the best I could , shop vac and wiped down a few spots with a general purpose cleaner and let it dry completely ..The liner itself was not in bad shape just showing some age and I wanted to freshen it up prior to adding a set of Solstice letters from ASAP Graphics . Needless to say I used spray cans Rustoleum with primer(the stuff you can use on any surface plastic ,wood ,metal) and the liner just soaked the paint up 6 cans and counting . I let it dry completely between coats and for some reason I had areas that have a shiny sheen to them .I have seen people who have painted their liners with good results and I wonder if they were new ? If I had to do it all over again I would take it to my painter and get his opinion maybe I needed a sealer ? Still have the old liner in the barn and I'm going to respray it this spring and see what happens .

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
My painter has done several. What works best for him is to use an epoxy based sealer to fill the poured in the fire blanket before applying primer and then paint. The sealer leaves the blanket with a hard, smooth surface that takes paint like metal and looks very nice.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
HOODLINERS - Toronto Muralist Painter Airbrush Murals-Corrado

M.O.B. Scene - Painting Hood Liners and Sub Boxes - 8-Lug Magazine

You basically have two options:

1) Brush a fiberglass resin over the surface of your liner till it is hard and thick enough to sand and prep.

2) Apply a basecoat of intercoat clear. After allowing it to dry and apply your choice of color.

3) If wanted, add graphics or airbrush art, and you’re done!

Intercoat clear is available in cans or aerosol spray cans:
Spray Max Aerosol Intercoat Clear Coat

Intercoat technical specs:
http://www.houseofkolor.com/PDF/TechData/English/SG100.pdf

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
I totally agree but would add a fourth option. Paint directly on the inside of the hood. That is what I ended up doing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Good advice I should have tried that but read a couple of articles that said the paint/primer would act like a sealer after a few coats .Still can't figure out the shiny spots but I'll try a repaint in the spring

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Rob no heat issues to your hoods surface paint after removing the hood liner?
No

The fire blanket is designed to smother flames in the event of a fire, not insulate the hood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts