Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of painting my valve cover, the aluminum is pitting a little. I have searched and not seen a DIY on removing the cover. I guess it is pretty straight forward, disconnect anything attached to it and unscrew.

Any gotchas?? I want to remove, paint, replace in a day (would love to powder coat, but don't want the car out of service that long). I guess I could buy a spare, but I have not seen them on e-bay by themselves.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
The NA is easier than the GXP. You may need to remove breather tubes, which may require a fuel pipe tool (I don't have an NA, so cannot confirm). See post: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/why-where-you-should-shouldnt-run-oil-catch-can-occ-lnf-kappa-71640/#post1080149. OR if the tool won't fit, see this one instead: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/why-where-you-should-shouldnt-run-oil-catch-can-occ-lnf-kappa-71640/#post1080135

Be careful with the rubber gasket. Some have re-used it without problems, some have had oil leaks afterwards. You may want to buy a new one first to be safe. Or you can try to reuse, then replace later only if you have an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Did mine just have to remove the coils and plugs (I take it the plastic cover is off?) and unbolt it and remove the rubber gasket it fits in a recess making it easy to reinstall all of about a half hour. If you are not going the powder coat it ,have it glass beaded and use a good quality engine enamel .I had mine powder coated locally cost all of 40 dollars and it was done in a week well worth the effort and time.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
bolts

idk - just wondering if those are ONE TIME BOLTS,the kind that need to be replaced , or can be upgraded...........?? would suck if leaked afterwards

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yeah the bolts can be reused but GM recommends changing the gasket when you remove the cover. I have known several people including myself that have had oil leaks after trying to reuse the original gasket.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would use caliper paint. If you are careful, you can use the Duplicolor paint, and brush it on, without removing the cover. Just mask it properly. Brush strokes disappear and goes on smooth. Covers small pits and scratches too.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
DDM will send you a powder coated cam cover (sorry, I can't get into the American habit of calling OHC engine covers, valve covers) with a core charge you get back when you return yours. Their coating is good but they do no deflashing unless you request it. $125 and the powder coating is very good with a good range of colours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts