Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove my Sol to the dealer today to get an oil change and spied an interesting looking car on the road. It looked like a Delorean from behind. Very flat, wide and low riding car. It had wide slick-like tires in the back and had good accelleration on the freeway, probably a v-8. The exhaust smelled bad after he gunned the engine. I kept the revs up and was able to stay on his tail till 90mph; then backed off. Finally saw side of his car and it said Pantera. It was yellow and the guy driving it looked like he was in his late50's or early 60's. He had matching yellow sunglasses :cool: ; looked a little odd, but overall car looked kinda neat. Any car nuts know anything about the Pantera model?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
DeTomasso Pantera. Manufactured between 1970 and 1974. 351 Cleveland V8 and Italian body. $8000 list new up to 73. 1974 the price skyrocketed to $10000. Available in 5 colors in 74 including a powder blue.

Rust problems on models that weren't well kept.

I always loved that car.

You can probably google it with detomasso and find out more.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Thye were pretty cool cars. I haven't seen one around here in a long time. Check out the size of the trunk on that thing! ;)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Followed one in 3 MPH traffic out of Monterey on Sunday October 16. Well, only for a

Followed one in 3 MPH traffic out of Monterey on Sunday October 16. Well, only for a while, then my lane choice took me more than a few car lengths ahead of it. The driver smiled and nodded on seeing the Solstice. She was somewhat older, but it's great to see folks drive those old machines.

There was another American V-8 European body called the Jensen:

You can see a bit more about it by looking with google. It was pretty quick. But styling wise, the Pantera has the Jensen beat, hands down.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Followed one in 3 MPH traffic out of Monterey on Sunday October 16. Well, only for a while, then my lane choice took me more than a few car lengths ahead of it. The driver smiled and nodded on seeing the Solstice. She was somewhat older, but it's great to see folks drive those old machines.

There was another American V-8 European body called the Jensen:

You can see a bit more about it by looking with google. It was pretty quick. But styling wise, the Pantera has the Jensen beat, hands down.
I remember the Jensen Interceptor III. That looks like a prior model.
I was big into cars in the early 70's (before the 73 gas crisis took them away for a while) and remember going to dealers such as Wide world of cars in Spring Valley NY and Chinnetti in CT.
I knew there were 5 colors of the Pantera available in 74 because I saw each one at the Auto show at the NY Colliseum (no longer there)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Interesting...........

- bspate -

·
Registered
705 Posts
Marco said:
I remember the Jensen Interceptor III. That looks like a prior model.
I was big into cars in the early 70's (before the 73 gas crisis took them away for a while) and remember going to dealers such as Wide world of cars in Spring Valley NY and Chinnetti in CT.
I knew there were 5 colors of the Pantera available in 74 because I saw each one at the Auto show at the NY Colliseum (no longer there)
The Pantera is one of my fav's, got to drive one on the track once and it's a handful. The hadling was a bit 'twitchy' and the suspention is as hard as they come.

I was lucky enough to work on the total restoration of a '74 Jensen Interceptor Mk III, a Chrysler 440 under the hood made that piece of very heavy metal fly! Loads of fun and very unusual.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
When I was in high school... so long ago... (graduated in June)... I had a friend who had a yellow Pantera in perfect condition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts