Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have read some of the other posts but was hoping to get clarification for my specific problem.

So when I put my meter on the 5A setting and positive probe on the negative terminal of the battery, and the negative probe on the negative wire bundle connections, it shows 1.00 to .97 which I assume is way too much.

When I pull fuse 56 it cuts that number in half...when I pull 7 and 6 as well it cuts the number to zero.

56 = S BAND ONSTAR / RKE

6 = BCM 2

7 = BCM

Any ideas on what the heck is causing the BCM and 56 to be draining soo much?

·
Registered
428 Posts
To avoid the strain on the battery I called Onstar and asked them to shut my system off. No more green light and no more battery drain.

Reactions: showtime

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
You have to be careful about how you set up to read the current. If you disconnect the power cable, then insert the meter, all of the modules will power up and you will get a high current. There is a ramp-dwn of the modules that takes a bit of time, and leaving the key in the ignition will change what stays on.

What problem are you chasing? I assume a dead battery, but over what time frame?

Reactions: shabby

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
^^ What he said.

It will take 15+ minutes for the 'battery saver' circuitry to kick in after you've connected your meter (and after the ignition is off and doors closed). After that you should be reading under 15mA.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the info and responses. Yes I am chasing a dead battery issue, I run an Optima Red Top and first battery drained and never really could bring it back...had it replaced thinking it was just a bad battery that I let die...new battery I’ve been fighting it to the point I realized or at least hoped there was a drain. Now this battery is in need of replacement and I want to try and find the culprit before putting the new one in.

i did the tests with the doors, glove box, trunk ...etc closed so the lights wouldn’t turn on and I did all the tests with the keys in my pocket...are you saying I should try and leave them on for 30 minutes and come back and see if the number is still high?
Thanks again!
Also I will be calling onstar !

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, you guys were right...less than a minute on and the reading was 0.16 with all fuses in. With my meter being set at 5A ...is this number acceptable?
Also the battery is bad so I don’t know if this throws that off, but the battery was at 11.10 when I switched the DCV to 20

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
0.16 is 160mA, which IS high - about 10-20 times too high in fact. Although low, that would still halve the capacity of a 40AH battery in 5-6 days

Just to be sure, how long had you left it alone at that point?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About a minute...I did not leave it the whole time like we discussed. My multimeter is on 5A. I just saw it drop significantly and I thought that was ok!

I will leave it on for longer and see if it drops even more!

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
I had optima batteries go "dead" too until I found the Optima battery conditioning tender. It has recovered two Optimas and maintains the, very well. In fact I put on all my vehicles over night about once a week to keep them all healthy. It has software that assesses the battery and reconditions it when needed. Great investment

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Like I said before, leave it at least 15 mins, better still 20.

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
How long was your car idle when each of the batteries died?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Let me ask a question. Did you disturb your car during that several week period? By disturb I mean open a door, start it, remote lock/unlock it....anything? If so, you wake the car back up from it's sleep. Back in the mid to late 90s, Cadillac put a "sleep" button on their cars for those people that were going to be away from their vehicle or not drive it for more then 2 weeks. This would turn everything off inside the car, thus saving the battery. Newer cars incorporated that feature to automatically go into sleep mode. Our cars take xx hours (I believe it's 72 hours to completely sleep and something like 200 hours for the radio to completely sleep; you'll know when the radio sleeps because you'll get alien writing on the screen) to completely turn off all of the relays and sensors. Some quicker then others. If it senses anything such as opening a door, a remote unlock, etc....the process starts all over, but once it's disturbed, all of the relays and sensors power back up. So if you are opening the door every 2 days for 2 or 3 weeks, this explains why your battery keeps dying. The last 2 years, I have not put my car on a battery tender, nor have I disturbed it from the end of October until the middle to the end of March and not had 1 issue with my battery. Prior to the last 2 years, I was starting it to move it around, opening the doors, trunk, etc and my battery died every year. So just a little bit of info on the "sleep" feature for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts