Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking how low the front end of soltice is all owners should be careful .Just think how easy is to pull up to far and hear that big banging sound paint scuffs :cuss:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Maybe Excelsior, Terp, or one of our other members with a car could give us a descriton on just how susceptable the front end may be to parking curbs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is like most things you learn to drive different park different and then you never even think if it. Most Vette drivers get use to this right away . One thing to be very careful of is door opens over curb till passenger sits down then it jams or scrapes across curb to close. Backing into parking spots saves a lot of problems.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
1st mod to my Sol

How 'bout an aftermarket backup sensor for the front end? :thumbs:

After driving Pickups for the better part of the last 22 years, I have a terrible habit of pulling up to far when in a car. Would probably pay for itself the first time you avoid a good scrape :willy:

·
5,600 Posts
This is going to take a lot of intense mental trainnig for me. by now, I am programmed to keep driving until the wheels of my Silverado hit a curb or parking bumper. I can always back up if I pull in to far. I won't have that luxury in my Solstice. Somehow, I am going to have to train myself to pretend I have an extra 18 inches of front end on my car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The car is so short that you dont have to even get that close

·
Registered
316 Posts
MAKsys said:

QUOTE]

That is actually a very appealing idea.

In driving it in the last 36hours I've tried to stay well away from things but I see hitting the doors is a real danger if a passenger doesnt pay attention. The car does sit very low. I have taken ramps and driveways very slowly. Also it is somewhat difficult to judge the front end clearance (at least right now) which would make having a sensor worthwhile if you have to park near something.

There are many aftermarket backup sensors that might work, but I'm going to have to look into how the power supply would wire in. Anyone have any ideas? It should be relatively easy to mount sensors behind the grills. I doubt they're necessary for the front. Backing-in works best and seems easier to me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Excelsior said:
The car is short enough to be IN your parking spot and have ample room up front without scraping. Just use the rule of never parking in those front spots if you can help it.

:agree: I have only had mine for about 5 hrs, did some driving and when I got home out it in the garage, I am used to pulling a pickup truck in there, I must have had 5 feet left from the garage door to the rear of the car, that alone told me I can leave sufficient fron space space when parking and still have plenty of clearance in the rear.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Yeah... the Solstice is just over 4 feet shorter than my Mercedes (which has about 4 inches of clearance with the front wall of the garage and 3 inches of clearance with the door).

B

·
0 Posts
MAKsys said:

After driving Pickups for the better part of the last 22 years, I have a terrible habit of pulling up to far when in a car. Would probably pay for itself the first time you avoid a good scrape :willy:

No kidding. Sounds like some of us truck types are going to be in serious need of sensors all around the car :glol:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dave clancy said:
I was just thinking how low the front end of soltice is all owners should be careful .Just think how easy is to pull up to far and hear that big banging sound paint scuffs :cuss:
With all the new drivers of the solstice, Have you scraped the front end by driving over the front curbs yet/ :(

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
dave clancy said:
With all the new drivers of the solstice, Have you scraped the front end by driving over the front curbs yet/ :(
You're not talking about parallel parking, which has its own dangers, so you are talking about parking nose end first, or backing in (my preference, let's me get away quicker). Bankers and convenience stores seem to get nervous when I do that.

So anyway, we're talking about a row of parking spaces on a street or in a parking lot, either straight in or angled. You've probably all seen people cruising up a row, every spot taken with these huge SUVs and Town Cars, etc. Suddenly, just ahead, an empty spot, so he makes a dash before someone else grabs it. As this person pulls in, oops, too late, the spot is occupied by a Solstice that pulled ALL THE WAY IN.

Forget about the little scratch you put on the nose, the whole rear of your beautiful car has just been crushed in.

So instead of pulling all the way into these parking spaces, JUST DON'T DO IT. Make it a habit to leave a huge space between you and the curb, or the vehicle in the opposite parking space, which then leaves the rear of your Solstice easily visible to those seeking a parking space.

·
4,592 Posts
dave clancy said:
Nope, and I won't. Practice! As said above, the car is short, so MENTALLY tell yourself to leave two feet. I did just that the other day, and checked, it was only a foot. Always leave lots of room!!!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RODEO said:
Nope, and I won't. Practice! As said above, the car is short, so MENTALLY tell yourself to leave two feet. I did just that the other day, and checked, it was only a foot. Always leave lots of room!!!
Sometimes destractions get you in trouble, like a nagging wife or a spoiled kid wanting someting and you lose your focas and suddely you have driven over the curb. suddenly BOOOOOM IT BITES YOU LIKE A SNAKE. Al I can say beware of all parking curbS in front of you as you pull foward S--T HAPPENS :willy:

·
4,592 Posts
dave clancy said:
Sometimes destractions get you in trouble, like a nagging wife or a spoiled kid wanting someting and you lose your focas and suddely you have driven over the curb. suddenly BOOOOOM IT BITES YOU LIKE A SNAKE. Al I can say beware of all parking curbS in front of you as you pull foward S--T HAPPENS :willy:
Oh, I agree. But really, practice the thought everytime you park, and it becomes second nature. I sweeped over one the first week I has the MSM in Jan 2004, I heard a gentle cssshhhh, no damage though. The close call taught me the lesson. Since then, I made a note to leave two feet. Never happened since. Remember, we park in the same spots that F150s use, leave two feet, and you still hang out a lot less than they would. It must become second nature, that's the secret!!! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's real easy, my wife did it to hers the 1st weekend she had it back in october. There have been acouple of threads about others doing it also

1 - 17 of 17 Posts