Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you engineering/automotive engineer types want to speculate on how fast, difficult correcting front fascia and convertible-top fitting problems would be. I realize we don't have much info to go on, but that hasn't stopped us before.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Zolsol said:
Any of you engineering/automotive engineer types want to speculate on how fast, difficult correcting front fascia and convertible-top fitting problems would be. I realize we don't have much info to go on, but that hasn't stopped us before.
I am not an engineer, but thought I could offer a little insight. At least some guided speculation.

The Cobalt SS coupe's were delayed due to what was reported as being body fitment issues. They were due in dealers in December, but didn't start arriving to mid to late March. So there was probably about a 3 month delay.

The length of the delay probably depends on what the actual problem is. If its a tooling issue, or a component is not the right size, or just manufacturing technique, or a supplier issue. Hopefully any delay won't be too long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,887 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I am not an engineer, but thought I could offer a little insight. At least some guided speculation.

The Cobalt SS coupe's were delayed due to what was reported as being body fitment issues. They were due in dealers in December, but didn't start arriving to mid to late March. So there was probably about a 3 month delay.

The length of the delay probably depends on what the actual problem is. If its a tooling issue, or a component is not the right size, or just manufacturing technique, or a supplier issue. Hopefully any delay won't be too long.
IIRC, the SS's were the last to be built, and while I don't know the issues the coupes were also in constraint. Not sure how long of a problem the SS's were in addition to the sedan's, so not 100% that time frame is a good one to make a guess on.

I must have missed something if this post came up (I assume there's word this is a problem then?)... but it all depends on what the issue is. At this point cars have (should have) been built off of all production tooling at production rates, or GM is aware of what has not been completed and looked it over to approve it for production in it's current state. There are a multitude of possible problems... so I'll go read what's posted about it before I speculate on time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Zolsol said:
Any of you engineering/automotive engineer types want to speculate on how fast, difficult correcting front fascia and convertible-top fitting problems would be. I realize we don't have much info to go on, but that hasn't stopped us before.
Are you guesstimating or do you know there is a problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am referring to article posted by Solsticeman: "Solstice: See You In September." in today's posts. It says several sources in Wilmington confirm front fascia and top fitting problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,887 Posts
Zolsol said:
I am referring to article posted by Solsticeman: "Solstice: See You In September." in today's posts. It says several sources in Wilmington confirm front fascia and top fitting problems.
I saw that article after my last post.

It's really hard to say timing for this. I mean, I've *heard* that the problems with the roof were fixed, and now I'm hearing in these reports that apparently they are not fixed (or there are now different problems). I haven't been able to get too much word on the roof in the last month or so, but maybe someone else has ties to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
rlhammon said:
I saw that article after my last post.

It's really hard to say timing for this. I mean, I've *heard* that the problems with the roof were fixed, and now I'm hearing in these reports that apparently they are not fixed (or there are now different problems). I haven't been able to get too much word on the roof in the last month or so, but maybe someone else has ties to it.
maybe they will just give up on the roof and give us a hard top! :jester:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
There's been a lot of recents posts about "front fascia fit problems" and speculation about the location of a front mounted license plate.

Am I the only one wondering if GM forgot about mounting a front plate in their rush to release the Solstice, and have now sent their engineers back to their drawing boards to try and figure out where the H#^$ to put it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
dengel said:
Am I the only one wondering if GM forgot about mounting a front plate in their rush to release the Solstice, and have now sent their engineers back to their drawing boards to try and figure out where the H#^$ to put it?
That would be great assuming they could come up with something that doesn't ruin the front end.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
dengel said:
There's been a lot of recents posts about "front fascia fit problems" and speculation about the location of a front mounted license plate.

Am I the only one wondering if GM forgot about mounting a front plate in their rush to release the Solstice, and have now sent their engineers back to their drawing boards to try and figure out where the H#^$ to put it?
Possible, but I don't think that's the issue. The front license plate mounting kit is already part of the ordering package, and is required in states that require front plates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
brentil said:
Possible, but I don't think that's the issue. The front license plate mounting kit is already part of the ordering package, and is required in states that require front plates.
Yeah, but I have this image of Dilbert and all his friends sitting in their GM cubicles arguing over the license plate bracket.

"What is the part number for the license plate bracket?"

"I don't know. That is Department Q's responsibility."

"No, it can't be. Department Q was merged with Department X, and now they are in charge of ashtrays and cigarette lighters."

"Well then who was in charge of designing the license plate bracket?"

"@$#$^%!!!!!!!" :willy: :willy: :willy:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top