Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the numbers for the timing and balancer kits, but I'm wondering if there is a different one out there other then these that will include both.

Cloye's

9-4210sa - timing and includes everything for timing
9-4202s - balancer and includes everything for balancer
9-4201sawp - includes both timing and balancer as well as the waterpump

I don't need a WP!! Mine was done 20k ago, so it's not needed. I'm looking for just timing and balancer with all parts for that....

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right....but I dont need the cam phasers or WP. There was supposed to be a kit that included just chains, guides and tensioners.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope...that's just the timing chain stuff. I need the balancer chain stuff too.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to buy two kits.
9-4202 SX
9- 4201 SA
Yes...those were all in my OP here. You actually need 9-4202S, not 9-4202SX. The SX doesn't include any of the sprockets for the balancers or crankshaft. What I'm getting at is that there is a kit that includes all of the timing and balancer chains, tensioners, sprockets and guides and it didn't include the WP or VVT cams. I don't need new cams, I don't need a new WP. There was, about a year ago, a kit that included everything that I needed, and it was about $120 instead of buying them each individually for $190. I work online everyday with automotive catalogs, rockauto, napa, advanced, SMTP...all of the, but I just can't find it and was hoping someone here knew the number. Cloyes doesn't even have it in their catalog anymore. Or if someone knows the GM# that includes just what I need, I can cross-reference it....

·
Registered
20 Posts
If cloyes doesn't offer it on their website explicitly then maybe you should send them an email outlining your needs. I'm sure they would be happy to help. BTW, there is no need to replace the sprockets.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If cloyes doesn't offer it on their website explicitly then maybe you should send them an email outlining your needs. I'm sure they would be happy to help. BTW, there is no need to replace the sprockets.
But everyone else says otherwise....are you sure??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never once seen someone state that their balance shaft sprocket caused an issue. If they are visually in good condition then there should be no need to replace them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doing a quick search, I do see one post about a stripped out sprocket but the context of that failure seems to be a seized balance shaft. Basically the sprocket didn't cause the failure, the shaft did.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I've always heard to replace all the sprockets that the chains touch. And seeing as how the balancers spin at twice the speed of the motor, these will wear twice as fast. Just want to make sure this is good for another 100k when I'm done...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts