Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one at the dealer I went to can tell me what the PASS-Key III + theft deterrent intem in the list is. Can anyone shed some light on this?

TIA!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hopefully it is linked to the GPS so if the car were stolen they could find it FAST. This would be a HUGE help in getting the Robin Hood "NICE GUY's" that car jack the "Rich People" and share with their "Hommies"

·
Registered
403 Posts
Transmitter in the key (RFID actually I think), that allows you to actually start the car, wrong key (wrong code) will disable the fuel pump or starter or something for a few minutes, I think. Seems cool.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I think we had a similar discussion a few weeks ago, about the various types of anti-theft devices available on the Solstice, here is a link to the discussion:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31948#post31948

Basic jist of the discussion it that Pass-Key III + is an immobilizer, preventing the vehicle from starting without the key. This would prevent someone from stealing the car.

There is also a content theft alarm as part of the Power Package, which is a separate animal from the Pass-Key III + system.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
cdb said:
never had an alarm in a car. how ids the content alarm going to work?
IF it's the system I think it is it works by having motion sensors in the cabin. If someone reaches into the car to try to remove something it sets of the sensor. It's very useful for feealing safe while leaving the top down that someone wont reach in and grab your stuff.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
brentil said:
IF it's the system I think it is it works by having motion sensors in the cabin. If someone reaches into the car to try to remove something it sets of the sensor. It's very useful for feealing safe while leaving the top down that someone wont reach in and grab your stuff.
I don't think this is the case. I believe that 'content theft alarm' is activated when the doors are locked with the Key Fob (maybe with the interior button), the system becomes activated. Walking up and lifting the door handle to open the door (or test it to see if it's locked) sets off the lights flashing and honking the horn.

I've asked my dealer this a few times, and she's always told me the same story. I've also asked another GM dealer and got a similar story. Neither of them are aware of a "reach in protection". However, dealers have not been the most informed on the Solstice (we all know that, not bashing the dealers) so it could be something great. However, on a $20,000 "back to basics" roadster I don't see it as Brentil describes.

GM lists the "content theft alarm" on several other vehicles. After doing a quick search on Google (GM Contect Theft Alarm). Those vehicles include:

2005 Tahoe and Yukon Flexible Fuel Vehicles
Sunfire SLX
2005 Rainier
(and others)

This leads me to believe it's more along the lines as my dealer has described, and not a "reach in protection" unless they developed a different system for the Solstice and are using the same name for it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You're probably right. I keep hoping it's the other system though since it's a convertible. It's probably the radio theft system too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
if the doors have been locked with the keyfob and they are unlocked from the inside...say in the case of a broken out window... an alarm sounds. My mom has this on here yukon ( flex fuel )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Passkey III uses a passive transponder (same as RFID) to communication with the Body Control Module. If the correct key is not detected, then the BCM does not enable the fuel pump. Also unlike the original Passkey which had the embedded resistor these keys are much more reasonably priced, though still not as cheap as a plain key. Also I think you have to get them at the dealer because they have to reprogram all your keys to work at the same time.

Oh and the alarm system is pretty basic. Once armed by locking the doors either with the electric door lock button or the Remote key fob, then the door must be unlocked with the Passkey III or the Remote key fob.

Even if you lock yourself in and then manually unlock the door from the inside the alarm is activated honking the horn and flashing the lites. Basically it keeps someone from breaking the window and unlocking the door from the inside. Not sure but it might also activate if some professional were to use a jimmy bar to unlock.

The radio, once activated in the vehicle will only work in that vehicle unless a dealer could be convinced to reprogram it for you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You'll have to order another set of keys if you like from the dealer - about $40 dollars. Then they will program that new key to work with your Sol. It's been raining here in Cali so I haven't really tested the so called alarm system. Tomorrow suppose to be sunny - I will try few options in setting the alarm. Will post back what I find.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You guys are talking about a proximity alarm, which sounds when something gets close (like an arm) to the inside. We added this feature to my daughter's Spyder. After replacing the unit 4 times (it kept dying), and never getting it properly adjusted, we gave up on it.

A tree limb over the closed roof would set it off, but you could gently reach in and take a tape out of the center console.

Or it would go off when you parked along side, drove down the road while it was parked, walked down the sidewalk, well you get the idea....

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
The alarm system on my 96 TA was tripped by:
1)trying to open a door with a key after locking with the remote
2)bouncing a champagne cork off it from 2 stories up
3)vibration on drive from an idling Harley several feet away
4) closing the fuel door

Will have to check again, my mom mentioned that she reached into her Buick through an open window to grab something, and it set off the alarm-but she may have jarred the car enough to set it off.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have Hornet aftermarket alarm with prox sensors in Miata and Jeep. Works like a charm. Worked great when some knucklehead reached in my Jeep (top down) with golf clubs on front seat. He got the bag halfway out and decided to drop it and run. Good for him, because I was outside within 3 seconds.:mad:

I don't think Solstice has this. I have never seen it described in the option packages. This sensor may be able to be added to the existing system???

·
Registered
609 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread...Does anyone know if you can start the car with a copy of the key with no RFID but have the original one in the car, like in you pocket? In other words, does the real key have to be in the ignition or does it just have to be in the proximity?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread...Does anyone know if you can start the car with a copy of the key with no RFID but have the original one in the car, like in you pocket? In other words, does the real key have to be in the ignition or does it just have to be in the proximity?
According to page 75 of my 07 Sol's owners manual it says that up to 10 keys may be programmed for your vehicle. If your vehicle was sold in Canada you must see your dealer or authorized passkey 3 locksmith. Otherwise if you have a new unprogrammed key this is the procedure.

1. Verify that the new key has a + inside a circle stamped on it.

2. Insert the already programmed (old ) key in the ignition and start the engine. If the engine wuill not start, see your dealer for service.

3. After the engine has started, turn the key to LOCK, and remove the key.

4. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to the run position within 5 seconds of the original key being turned to the lock position.

5. The security light will turn off once the key has been programmed.

6. Repeat Steps 1 thru 5 if additional keys are to be programmed.

The replacement key must be a true programmable replacement and then after being programmed the key must be inserted in the ignition switch for the car to start.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
991 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts