Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Thanks RedOne. I look at totals every single day, this is the first one that clearly shows the passenger seat air bag deployed. We know at least one works. I would guess I am above 300 vehicles that should have air bags deployed, and most do have the driver side deployed, some not. But I also feel this is a very safe car for what it is. The passenger compartments, seem to retain original area even in some horrific wrecks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What, you're looking to collect photos from 300 reported airbag deployments? Interesting hobby!

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
No, I am trying to let people know that the passenger air bag may have a severe problem with deployment. Between myself and Hoosier GXP we have now seen possibly 3 that have deployed in front end crashes, two provided by members, one appears to be deployed, but not a clear picture. Would guess we have seen close to 800 cars, in photos.

The reason behind my search was, I was watching for a salvage car, there are numerous site that have pictures of salvage cars. Most of them provide pictures of the interior, on all that I have looked at for over 15 months did not have a passenger side bag deploy. Odds are not every car wrecked only has one passenger.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When you say "trying to let people know"; you have some empirical evidence that the passenger airbag on the Kappa platform has a "severe problem"? Or is this just another case of conspiratorial discussion board hyperbole, meant to freak people out on this site? It seems to me that if documented injuries are involved where the airbag didn't deploy as frequently as 800 cases, the NTSB or NHTSB, would have more records on the subject than you'll find trolling discussion boards. I've already provided links to some of those reports. Oh that's right, sorry. There were no pictures.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
Interesting discussion

Clearly there are incidents where the airbag did deploy and others where it did not. The question should be is there an issue with the airbag system that will result in its not deploying when it should do so.

During testing they functioned as designed. The ignition switch problem apparently has resulted in events where the airbag did not deploy because it was turned off inadvertently. But the inspections done by skersfan have resulted in a lot of cases where they did not deploy. The question then is were they operating correctly when they did not deploy? And is there a systemic problem with the airbag system that should be addressed by GM?

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
To much assumption. Was there someone in the passenger side when the accident occur?.

Was it a true frontal impact etc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
To much assumption. Was there someone in the passenger side when the accident occur?.

Was it a true frontal impact etc.
Precisely! Criteria so far is lacking specifics.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
If you have looked closely at near 800 wrecked Kappas in the last few years, and only find three with a passenger air bag deployed, it concerns me. Many on the salvage sites do not deploy the driver side when you would think they would. I do not have the information. Just found it strange that so many cars that have been wrecked and none of them have had a passenger.

Not trying to alarm anyone, just feel people should be aware of it. I know that Hoosier has restored 24-25 Kappas from Salvage. He has seen one in all of his hunts. I have been looking for a car, for quite awhile, and have never seen one deployed. It struck me as unrealistic. Some state the passenger air sensor out, shuts off the whole system, others say no, only the passenger side.

I just want people to be careful, use their seat belts and wish GM would consider the recall for the sensor. Can I prove it does not work? Not a chance, but I think that is exactly what GM is relying on.

In the original posts I listed the salvage sites I went to. It is still active on this site. You can look at the current ones, I would guess about 30 cars currently up for auction on both Sky and Solstice sites, have not looked in a couple of days, as I have found my salvage car and restored it. Not buying another one. Two is enough, unless a coupe showed up.

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/saturn/sky

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction?make[0]=pontiac&model=solstice

Not all are frontal collisions, and some do not show the passenger dash.

I have looked at both of these sites for about 15 months, and never saw a passenger air bag deployed.

Concern for others, was not trying to scare anyone or give false information.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
One just appeared on the Solstice site!!!

A lot of them seem to be getting wrecked, that is the most I have ever seen listed on the Solstice site. Winter driving.

After looking at the original picture on this thread, It is the same car as just listed.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I saw that yesterday, but never looked at it due to light front end damage. Not going thru another dark car, plus I am not much into the NA's. At the price it is now, it will go over 6K, and I doubt you could get your money back on it.

I would only be buying it for resale, but would imagine Hoosier is all over it by now. He has another site he goes to, that has far more information on it. He looked at a Hydro Blue Sky for me, that went for 6500 with salvage title. I would guess this might get to that level

Plus after the last one, other projects, I am to worn out to mess with anything until spring I think. I have hardly driven my car, need to do more of that. My grin is limping.

Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
It just hit the magic spot. The sensors are behind the hood towers. The Sky I bought was hit almost exactly like this it appeared. Airbags did not deploy. If it had hit lower on the main crumple zone, might not have deployed at all. Airbag deploys the car it is normally totaled.

Robotech has an investigation going on over this. My comments about it got him started on it.

Again I am not trying to scare people, just worried about people getting hurt, and wanting GM to do something about it. There is a lot more information on the Sky board about his report submitted. He was actually interviewed in LA for a TV station in Tennessee doing a report on this very thing. There was an update yesterday I believe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts