Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
we have at least 10 people in the club which have faulty airbag sensor.
This is the part:

It's GM P/N 19124219.
Do you think there's some kind of option to fix it or bypass it (put something which sends a signal to the car computer which always tells it there's someone sitting there)

This is really annoying because I heard about people which replaced it twice and my sensor went bad this week :(

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
A lot of posts about this on the forum. So far no one has a work around. Cheapest "fix" is to find a used seat on line as far as what I've read here.

·
Super Moderator
16,539 Posts
It is a fairly common problem. The seat sensor is damaged by small, heavy weight, as in kneeling on the seat. I have seen instances of problems caused by the passenger sitting on a pillow.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I also read somewhere that once the sensor is replaced there has to be some type of calibration needing to be done..:yesnod: Not sure if just replacing the module will set it up to function properly.

Here is thread whereas on the first post it has a video stating that you do not need calibrate to anything.. interesting, we will need to dig a little deeper I think to confirm this.. I'll keep looking..
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/passenger-side-air-bag-sensor-replacement-41757/

Here's another link, there is also a reference on a TS post pointing to another thread in this forum..
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/why-my-passenger-airbag-doesnt-work-35137/

I guess the only way we will really know is someone replaces the sensor, test it without calibration.. my understanding is that this calibration "zeros" out the sensor.. I suppose that means or has something to do with sensing the weight of the person sitting in the seat to trigger the sensor so the air bag can be activated for a frontal collision..

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Mine's been out for a little while. It just stopped arming one day and gave me the "Service Air Bag" DIC warning and light. One question.....does the seatbelt still respond to an impact?

I have and have had other vehicles that arm the airbag as soon as the car is started regardless of the presence of a passenger. I assume it would take completely redesigning the system, (and I certainly don't have the knowhow to do it) but could it be designed to arm with starting with maybe a cutoff switch for when you don't want it armed?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mine's been out for a little while. It just stopped arming one day and gave me the "Service Air Bag" DIC warning and light. One question.....does the seatbelt still respond to an impact?

I have and have had other vehicles that arm the airbag as soon as the car is started regardless of the presence of a passenger. I assume it would take completely redesigning the system, (and I certainly don't have the know how to do it) but could it be designed to arm with starting with maybe a cutoff switch for when you don't want it armed?
I believe that the seat-belts is an independent system, totally apart from the air bag system.. My understanding is that there is no voltage used in the system, it is all done "digitally".. ones and zeros.. another words, you cannot "short out" 2 wires to make it stay on permanently..

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I believe that the seat-belts is an independent system, totally apart from the air bag system.. My understanding is that there is no voltage used in the system, it is all done "digitally".. ones and zeros.. another words, you cannot "short out" 2 wires to make it stay on permanently..
Yeah, it would take completely ditching the existing system and designing something from scratch. It would probably not be very cost effective, which is kinda the point.

I figured the seat-belts would probably be totally separate but it just crossed my mind so I figured it would be best to ask....thanks. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
It needs to be "programmed" so the BCM can recognize it. A dealer action.
I could be wrong - but seriously, when has that ever happened? (Don't ask my wife.)

But I think MB has it correct here. The dealer programming is for calibration (setting 'zero'), not just to be recognised, like the radio.

I've seen at least a couple of posts where folks have replaced them and they just work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is just ridiculous. I think 90% of our club have this problem with their car :(

Maybe we can ask one of the forum sponsors to to build something which sends the digital signal so it stays on all the time :)

I would pay 200$ easily for that.. because even if replace the sensor I know it would come back again at some point.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
As for the seatbelts still being "active" - it's been a long time since I've worked in that realm but the lock mechanisms always used to be mechanical. Basically a metal ball would pivot out of a home position during rapid deceleration, engaging a pawl that tripped that latch on the spool. That's why sometimes during braking your belt catches. I believe it has a secondary action that's based upon rpm of the spool - when you lean forward too quickly it would latch also.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
As for the seatbelts still being "active" - it's been a long time since I've worked in that realm but the lock mechanisms always used to be mechanical. Basically a metal ball would pivot out of a home position during rapid deceleration, engaging a pawl that tripped that latch on the spool. That's why sometimes during braking your belt catches. I believe it has a secondary action that's based upon rpm of the spool - when you lean forward too quickly it would latch also.
Yep...that makes since. If I had thought about it further I might have realized it was a mechanical operation. Thanks for the info.

Now I need to find something else to be paranoid about....:lol:

·
Premium Member
2007 Solstice GXP, Automatic,
433 Posts
Hi guys,
we have at least 10 people in the club which have faulty airbag sensor.

It's GM P/N 19124219.
Do you think there's some kind of option to fix it or bypass it (put something which sends a signal to the car computer which always tells it there's someone sitting there)

This is really annoying because I heard about people which replaced it twice and my sensor went bad this week :(
Well you can add me to the list. "Service air bag" warning came on last night while out for a drive with the wife (21,000 miles on the car). Don't know what the passenger air bag light has been indicating last little while since it was covered by a GXP decal about 4 years ago. Think I will remove the decal to see what is going on. This is pretty serious stuff for the safety of the passenger. I could have been driving people around with no passenger air bag protection! :willy:

Nice to see a photo of the part without the seat covering. Thanks isrealisolstice.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Yep...that makes since. If I had thought about it further I might have realized it was a mechanical operation. Thanks for the info.

Now I need to find something else to be paranoid about....:lol:
I remember the project well because it caused me to make a major change in my life both professionally and personally. Spare ya the details but my employer at the time made the commitment that we would do a computerized analysis of ALL components for the safety restrain supplier in order to land the business. I was the only one in the R&D department that did this and we didn't have the computer power, storage, or time to do anything but run the model and archive it to tape - I didn't have any time to properly review the results and make corrections.

As I told my wife, I was basically generating the evidence that would hang us in court if there was ever a problem with this particular system - I was unable to properly analyze and prevent problems. It's one thing if your door trim falls off, but this is what keeps your face from becoming part of the dashboard. She just told me that if I needed to make a change, we would. A month later I moved the family about 230 miles and ended up where I am now - and have been since 1990!

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
There is also the issue of the person been slender and do to the way he/she sits on the seat it does not activated.

Reactions: Kevin Talley

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
From what I've read on the other thread regarding this issue, you can indeed order the sensor separately. However, many have found it cheaper to buy a used seat - though that can be risky if the sensor in the used seat is bad also.

·
Registered
728 Posts
There is also the issue of the person been slender and do to the way he/she sits on the seat it does not activated.
Sup LV! OR is not heavy enough to activate the sensor, like a baby in a car seat, I read somewhere that the trigger is 40-60 lbs, I don't recall exactly the weight needed to activate it..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Guys I'm with you and have complained to try to get a recall. But mine does seem to arm correctly in that when a passenger sits in the seat the light (saying that the airbag is deactivated) shuts off. Now it doesn't leave me a warm fuzzy that it will actually deploy and I don't want to find out in a bad way. So Dunno?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 355 Posts