Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

301 - 320 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Saw that, very cool and hope it gives our issue more exposure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I did some research and it said that if you seat adjustment is too far off this can affect the sensor, so I cranked the backrest a little more vertical and it corrected the problem.
Did you get a Service Air Bags message in your DIC? If you didn't the problem is not the same. The problem you have is more of what I've categorized as a calibration issue. Issues that fall into this category would be people who are boarderline on the design weight or having seat covers that may interfere with the sensor working properly. These mats can only cover so many scenarios as to what is sitting/laying in the passenger seat. When the mat breaks however, the Service Air Bags light will come on as well as the Passenger Airbag light not coming on or coming on intermittently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Passenger Side Airbag Sensor

My father sat down hard on the seat [he's 80 years old] & the airbag light on my dashboard came on.

I took it to the dealership to have it fixed & was quoted $800 to replace the sensor plus labor - I passed, I am still driving around w/the light on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I took out the old seat sensor, I looked at it and it does have a crack in it. Not a full break, but on it's way to being fully broken.

I was hoping that would be enough to fix it, but I guess I need to decide about whether to replace the module as well.
I purchased a new control module, and had it replaced by the dealer.

Along with the new seat sensor from Germany that I fitted, my service airbag message has gone, and the dash airbag light correctly lights up with someone sat in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Can someone point me to the airbag sensor replacement steps/tools. I've been searching the forums but I can't seem to find it. I'm finally going to do this on Wednesday with the part I got from Germany.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
I have not done this but have removed the seats and installed new seat covers.

I would disconnect the cable under the passenger seat, then remove the four bolts that mount the seat runners to the floor of the cockpit. Then remove the seatbelt from the seat bottom and you can lift the seat out of the car to work on it.

Remove the fasteners and pull the seat back off. The bottom seat cover is held on by long clips on the sides, front and back. You can turn it over and access clips from the bottom. The cover is also held on with Velcro.

When you get the bottom cover off, you will see the cushions with the seat sensor attached. You can either swap the new sensor for the old one or swap the entire bottom foam cushion.

Then you reverse the steps to reassemble everything. Next is a trip to the dealer to have the new sensor synced to the BCM

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
What Rob said ^^. But the cushion just lifts off once the cover is removed. Easiest by far to replace the whole cushion - don't try to swap just the sensor, it's glued down and you could damage the new one trying to remove it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have not done this but have removed the seats and installed new seat covers.

I would disconnect the cable under the passenger seat, then remove the four bolts that mount the seat runners to the floor of the cockpit. Then remove the seatbelt from the seat bottom and you can lift the seat out of the car to work on it.

Remove the fasteners and pull the seat back off. The bottom seat cover is held on by long clips on the sides, front and back. You can turn it over and access clips from the bottom. The cover is also held on with Velcro.

When you get the bottom cover off, you will see the cushions with the seat sensor attached. You can either swap the new sensor for the old one or swap the entire bottom foam cushion.

Then you reverse the steps to reassemble everything. Next is a trip to the dealer to have the new sensor synced to the BCM
What Rob said ^^. But the cushion just lifts off once the cover is removed. Easiest by far to replace the whole cushion - don't try to swap just the sensor, it's glued down and you could damage the new one trying to remove it.
Yes, it is quite easy. Put down card board or blanket right next to the door and the seat belt is long enough for the seat to sit on the ground next to the car. My seatbelt bolts were super tight ,so I didn't bother to remove it. I also found I did not have to remove the seatback, just a little more fiddly.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
I agree that you don't have to (or want to, really) remove the seat belt or the seat back.
Pay attention to how you rotate the seat when you take it out, so that you don't twist the seat belt when you put it back in.
I also agree that you don't want to risk damage to the sensor pad, so replace the cushion, too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah I got the whole cushion, sensor assembly so I just wasn't sure how to get the seat out and if it was easy to pull the cushion out of the leather.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Can someone point me to the airbag sensor replacement steps/tools. I've been searching the forums but I can't seem to find it. I'm finally going to do this on Wednesday with the part I got from Germany.
As all have said it is quite easy. I found it easier to have another set of hands to lift the seat to undo the connector. I also damaged most of the plastic fasteners that hold the seat cover to the frame but they were cheap at NAPA. It was easier for me to remove the seat belt belt and do the work away from the car but if you do it this way make sure you re-install the seat belt before putting the seat back in. When my friend zeroed the new sensor it took quite a while and even failed a few times but he said that was common. If you can find someone who is a GM tech they can do it cheaper than taking it to the dealer to save a few bucks. Now my friend who kept whining about no airbag is safe in the knowledge that just before he dies in the crash the last thing he will experience is being punched in the face by airbag he wanted so badly. Sorry but I have a weird sense of humor. Good luck with the job.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thank you! I just wanted to share that I switched out the cushion and sensor but haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer to have it reset. I broke the stupid plastic push pins when removing the cover. I have the tool to remove them but all 4 of them broke... I just said screw it.

In another airbag sensor thread I posted that I went looking for the break in my sensor but couldn't find it. One of the forum members said it could just be a crack in the conductive material that would be nearly impossible to find. Keeping my fingers crossed that this actually fixes it and it's not something else.

Asked this in the other thread too but I'll put it here in case people aren't following the other one but would anyone besides the dealer have the GM tech tool to do the reset? The local dealer and I don't get along :grin:

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Thank you! I just wanted to share that I switched out the cushion and sensor but haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer to have it reset. I broke the stupid plastic push pins when removing the cover. I have the tool to remove them but all 4 of them broke... I just said screw it.

Asked this in the other thread too but I'll put it here in case people aren't following the other one but would anyone besides the dealer have the GM tech tool to do the reset? The local dealer and I don't get along :grin:
Yeah - I borked the pins when I installed my heated seats. You can pick up replacement 'christmas-tree' pins at most chain auto-parts stores (in the 'Help' isle), pretty cheaply.

Many independent auto mechanics have a TechII equivalent. Call around your local ones and ask if they can do this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So I managed to come across a tech2 clone w/ GM software and all the accessories... does anyone know of a resource that walks you through resetting the passenger seat or if it's just obvious once connected to the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi everyone. I wanted to followup and let you know that I got a replacement CANdi module from the tech2 clone supplier and that did the trick. I was able to reset the passenger airbag sensor on the newly installed opel seat/sensor from Germany so all in I spent $340 ($120 for the cushion/sensor + $220 for tech2 clone w/ CANdi). If you have any questions, please let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi ! I'm from Quebec, Canada. I own a Pontiac Solstice 2009 with the same problem ( the airbag sensor ). I have received this morning a letter from GM Canada for the safety recall 17036. It's says : we are working as quickly as possible to correct this condition and if you have already paid for repairs for this condition, the reimbursement request process will follow...GOOD NEWS ! I paid for that last year et it cost me $839Can. I hope you will receive the same.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi ! I'm from Quebec, Canada. I own a Pontiac Solstice 2009 with the same problem ( the airbag sensor ). I have received this morning a letter from GM Canada for the safety recall 17036. It's says : we are working as quickly as possible to correct this condition and if you have already paid for repairs for this condition, the reimbursement request process will follow...GOOD NEWS ! I paid for that last year et it cost me $839Can. I hope you will receive the same.
Did you have to replace the seat cover in the process?

301 - 320 of 357 Posts