Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

321 - 340 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got a letter in the mail last week stating that our passenger seat airbags have been put on a recall and that the parts have not been available yet but once the improved parts are available I will receive another letter stating to take my car to a dealer to have it replace free of charge

·
Registered
95 Posts
Woohoo finally the people have been heard. Unfortunately I just purchased a new replacement seat cushion but just haven't put it in yet

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Reactions: 44thSKY

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Guys,
Just went to get inspected today and great news! They passed me even with the check air bag warning lit, And they said the repair is the one currently under recall !! I was worried it might be another issue. Also no $ 110.00 charge for the Air bag computer analysis reading.

So glad I did not have to attempt the repair myself but always great to know that there is help here to solve a problem !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any chance you're in MA? I have the service light on, the recall paper in my hand and my inspection will expire in May. I'm almost certain they won't let it through. I've called and mailed GM and they won't budge, saying now it's a GM liability if they fix it with the old parts. I'm getting worried

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys,
Just went to get inspected today and great news! They passed me even with the check air bag warning lit, And they said the repair is the one currently under recall !! I was worried it might be another issue. Also no $ 110.00 charge for the Air bag computer analysis reading.

So glad I did not have to attempt the repair myself but always great to know that there is help here to solve a problem !!
Was this Mass by chance? My air bag light is on and I have the recall notice in my hand but GM won't help me at all. My inspection runs out this month; and I'm pretty sure MA will fail inspection with service air bag on.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Got new letter today. "Parts available" but an interim fix, permanent fix still under development.

TL;DR: if it's broken, they'll put in another bad one for now, otherwise no fix yet.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I received the same letter today. Bring it in, if broken, for a temporary fix until the permanent fix is available.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
These seem to be out of stock everywhere. When will new ones be available?
That is the question a lot of us would like an answer to.

One of my two has failed and I will need a replacement for it, but I will keep using the emulator until they are available. I would be using it anyway, probably, since I need some operating time to confirm reliability ahead of making some.

·
Registered
2006 Cool Silver NA 2008 Pure White NA
311 Posts
I recently got in line for this recall. Reading the many posts concerning this issue, and having just bought my Solstice last June, I was under the impression GM was really dragging their feet on getting this done. After a bit of research, the information I'm getting is that it went into full effect in February 2018.

We live in a McDonald's society where people want things done their way - and done yesterday - but reality has a way of doing what it wants when it wants.

I was initially going to suggest the forum consider starting a petition that could be sent to the NHTSA demanding quicker action. And down the line that may still be an option. But personally, I don't think we're there just yet. If we're in the same boat this time next year, I'll be the first to sign!

I just located this website that fully explains this recall. It gives in-depth information and includes photos along with the procedure.

I hope this helps. And if by next June most of us haven't had this procedure done. Then let's start thinking about a massive petition to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/7393/17036-02...06-2010-pontiac-solstice-2007-2010-saturn-sky

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food for thought: Due to our funky federal laws, "technically" the Kappa platform could be considered "defective" due to this recall. It is against federal law to sell, even on a personal basis at a yard sale, an item that is under recall without it first being repaired. With that in mind, is it against federal law for any dealership (new or used) to sell a Kappa?

Note this paragraph from the website link: Attention: It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.

The paragraph kind of weasels it's way around federal law by not including "new or used motor vehicle" in the sentence.

We've gone down a slippery slope in this country with some of our consumer and environmental laws. Government overreach at it's finest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know some will question the yard sale recall statement, so I'm adding these links:
https://www.davidrickslaw.com/libra...roduct-liablity-for-consumers-and-sellers.cfm
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=can+i+sell+a+product+under+recall&t=ffab&atb=v134-2__&ia=web

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,536 Posts
Be aware that only a very small percentage of the Kappas out there need the replacement PPS. If your PPS is in a working condition, as many are, you get a piece of reinforcing tape installed on your existing sensor, the seating surface is reinstalled and you are out the door. It's a 3 dollar part, and a half hour of labor, and you are done. Mine was a 45 minute install about a week after the recall was announced in February, 2018.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is the new sensor mat all that different from the original? If they have to add the reinforcement it must be pretty much the same?

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
The new part is the original design with an added surface reinforcement tape to reduce the flexing that causes the failure.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
The new part is the original design with an added surface reinforcement tape to reduce the flexing that causes the failure.
Is that right? I thought - from previous posts - that the dealer had to still install the reinforcement strips, even on a new cushion assembly?

321 - 340 of 357 Posts