Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know if this keeps happening to other people. Passenger airbag modular $899.91 2007 Pontiac Solstice GPX I really believe it is a recall.Why now with there other recalls. Just happen this week.

Thanks Nora
[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Passanger airbag modular

I know there's more out there! There's a man in Tenn. with his Sky same problem was on the news I watch it. and wrote the news channel. I can understand why my dealer just brushes me off.

Nora

[email protected],com

·
Registered
413 Posts
Norastroud,
Have you complained to the. NHTSB yet? Many of us have filed formal complaints.

Solo Dio
08 Solstice GXP Brazen / Inferno Orange

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well Nora, mine has been replaced twice. Join the club. A recall is definitely in order

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nora what exactly is the problem you are having? I have a 2007 GXP as well. Also, what features does a GXP I have?

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
The issue is the airbag system uses a presence sensor that is part of the right seat bottom cushion. It's a flexible web with essentially strain sensors built in. Over time, or if you put a heavy point load on them, they break and you get a failure warning for the airbag system

The sensor is about $400 plus installation. And it has happened a LOT

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Lou - don't kneel on the passenger seat! While no one has been able to directly pin down what exactly caused the failure, some have reported that it was noticed after driving over rough road with a passenger. I just remember the first time I was detailing the interior with the top down and I caught myself as I was bout to kneel on the passenger seat to reach across to clean the dash. I also recommend that if you're working under the glove box (where the fuse panel is located) to put a board or a ridged support across the seat to prevent leaning on your elbow in the middle of the seat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good Afternoon,

We are here to address questions and/or concerns about the Solstice. Please private message us here on the forum with your VIN, contact information, and dealership, if you have a preferred location. From here I will be able to run your VIN and clarify recalls that may be active on your Solstice. We are genuinely sorry that you are experiencing these concerns, but know that we are here to assist you through this process.

Jennie R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Jennie - we do sincerely appreciate your efforts. This has been a known and on going issue with these seat sensors and to this date GM dealers have told owners of affected vehicles that it is no covered under warranty. As you have read here, there are even some owners that have paid more than once to have this problem repaired. I use the term "repair" because the problem is not "fixed". The defective sensor is simply replaced with another sensor that is prone to failure.

If you would like to review the history of forum members experience with this situation, please read through the threads linked in the 2nd post of this thread.

Your offer of identifying whether recalls apply or not is appreciated. At this time, however, it is apparent that none do as the membership would certainly be sharing that information.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Let me know if this keeps happening to other people. Passenger airbag modular $899.91 2007 Pontiac Solstice GPX I really believe it is a recall.Why now with there other recalls. Just happen this week.

Thanks Nora
[email protected]

In my (often) experienced views of this common problem I have not ever received any indication that the passenger airbag has ever been recalled. As most viewers here know, many of us have been trying for years to get some assistance with (so far) no help.

Perhaps you are thinking about the recent recall for the ignition switch problem. The recent notice mentions that "the air bags may not deploy" if there is a failure of the ignition switch. However, the air bag issue will not be fixed, just the ignition switch.

I have heard within the past two weeks that GM IS RECALLING recent Cadillacs (I think) for the same passenger air bag problems that we are having. Why those vehicles are being repaired and Solstice and Sky vehicles are not just means that we just own the cheap vehicles and not the fancy and expensive cars; in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Tom - I have a coworker that bought a 3 year old Chevy Traverse. Had the passenger seat sensor replaced a few weeks ago. I asked him to see if he could get the failed component but, as suspected, he was told it was a warranty repair so they would be "sending the component back" for analysis. May or may not be true. If it was repaired on his dime he's entitled to return of the parts. Warranty = not so.

I really wanted to see if it was the same type of failure mode.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good Afternoon,

We are here to address questions and/or concerns about the Solstice. Please private message us here on the forum with your VIN, contact information, and dealership, if you have a preferred location. From here I will be able to run your VIN and clarify recalls that may be active on your Solstice. We are genuinely sorry that you are experiencing these concerns, but know that we are here to assist you through this process.

Jennie R.
GM Customer Care
Hey GM, take a look at my thread re: "loud clicking/ticking", Really got screwed by my local GM dealer.:cuss:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I noticed today that Nissan is recalling seven different vehicles to fix the same passenger airbag problems that all of us Solstice and Sky owners have had for years now.

Although I don't have any idea how they are going to repair or upgrade the airbag sensors, at least I know that some auto companies are more reliable when it comes to fixing mistakes they've made in the past.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
If you don't transport kids, isn't there a way to bridge the circuit so that it is always enabled for air bag?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I noticed today that Nissan is recalling seven different vehicles to fix the same passenger airbag problems that all of us Solstice and Sky owners have had for years now.

Although I don't have any idea how they are going to repair or upgrade the airbag sensors, at least I know that some auto companies are more reliable when it comes to fixing mistakes they've made in the past.
As I said in another thread on the subject:

So what is the difference between Nissan and Pontiac and Saturn?

Oh yeah! Nissan is still in business and Pontiac and Saturn are a part of "old" bankrupt GM and not responsible any more.

Case closed.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
If you don't transport kids, isn't there a way to bridge the circuit so that it is always enabled for air bag?
To the best of my knowledge, no!

It is not a simple on/off circuit but communicates on the GMLAN to the BCM, which, in turn, establishes the status of the device.

It's all greek!

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Small adults or children can be seriously injured or killed by the airbag. Their body mass cannot absorb the energy displaced by the exploding bag. Even "full size" adults can break hands, arms, etc. during a deployment.

Early in the age of air bags, any vehicle that did not have a rear seat for children to be seated in had to have a method of disabling the air bag. (An early Ford pickup I had used a keyed switch on the dash.) The problem with that is people could forget to turn it back on.

Later changes to the law (U.S. anyway) mandated a passive system to determine whether or not a passenger was present and of sufficient mass to withstand the bag's energy.

As for the Nissan recall, I don't believe that is a sensor issue, it is a software issue. The computer software is making incorrect determinations as to whether the air bag should be armed or not.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts