Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cryin: OK! Here it is. I bought my 2006 Pontiac Solstice almost a month ago with 21,000 miles on it. I LOVE IT! All of a sudden the DIC tells me Service air bag......the passenger air bag light is OFF and so is the passenger no seat belt light when a passenger sits in the seat. Took it to the place of purchace and of course it's not covered under the used car warenty and want $680.77 PLUS TAX to fix it. :willy: First question. Will GM honor this since I read on the fourm that it is a common problem not only with Solstice but with Corvettes and Caddy's. Second question. Does anyone know if my Solstice is in any kind of GM warrenty? I am not the original owner but the miles are so low a mega auto company like GM, should stand behind their product and fix it. But then again axing Oldsmobile and Pontiac and NOT Buick has me worried. Question #3. Is it easy enough to fix yourself ? :(

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Your 2006 Solstice only had a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty, whichever came first. The passenger seat sensor is not covered under any kind of extended warranty. Search the forum for an answer as to whether it is repairable. I know the part is quite expensive.

:(:willy::brentil:

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Your screwed...

And for the record Buick is the #1 selling car in china.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The price that dealer gave you isn't that bad. Here's the part number for the parts you need, it's the sensor and also comes with a new seat foam. 19124219

Search the web and that part number will probably be around $550 shipped. It is pretty easy to change, but it has to be "learned" and you can't do that yourself.

Go back to the dealership and ask them if they can "Goodwill" it. Use that word. It's when a dealership can authorize and get payment for repairs that are out of warranty but the dealership feels GM should still cover. It's meant as a customer retention and satisfaction tool and is only used when it's deserved. Not being the original owner doesn't help this though. 2006 is pushing it also, so don't be surprised if they say they can't do it. It's entirely up to the dealership manager or service director. They may also say they can get GM to cover a portion of it, but you'll have to pay a portion, kind of like a deductible.

The only reason I'm telling you this is because it was a "somewhat" common problem, it's a safety concern, and you have very low miles on the car. Oh, I just re-read your post and noticed you said "place of purchase". So was that actually a GM dealer? If it wasn't, no wonder they won't help you. If it was, there's a good chance if you ask nicely they can help you out somehow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The price that dealer gave you isn't that bad. Here's the part number for the parts you need, it's the sensor and also comes with a new seat foam. 19124219

Search the web and that part number will probably be around $550 shipped. It is pretty easy to change, but it has to be "learned" and you can't do that yourself.

Go back to the dealership and ask them if they can "Goodwill" it. Use that word. It's when a dealership can authorize and get payment for repairs that are out of warranty but the dealership feels GM should still cover. It's meant as a customer retention and satisfaction tool and is only used when it's deserved. Not being the original owner doesn't help this though. 2006 is pushing it also, so don't be surprised if they say they can't do it. It's entirely up to the dealership manager or service director. They may also say they can get GM to cover a portion of it, but you'll have to pay a portion, kind of like a deductible.

The only reason I'm telling you this is because it was a "somewhat" common problem, it's a safety concern, and you have very low miles on the car. Oh, I just re-read your post and noticed you said "place of purchase". So was that actually a GM dealer? If it wasn't, no wonder they won't help you. If it was, there's a good chance if you ask nicely they can help you out somehow.
Thanks Tech. I appreciate your response. it was a used car lot and when I spoke with the owner he seemed sympathetic and said he has to talk with service manager and see if we can meet on common ground somewhere. If he honors that I guess I should happy with what ever he can do. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. One more thing. Can I damage anything else driving it that way?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Similar problem

I had a similar problem. I took it to the dealer and they replced the seat sensor for a $100 deductable. It works now. Why don't you call the dealer and ask if they can do the same ?

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
You can drive the car as long as you realize if you have a passenger and get into an accident then you are in trouble, otherwise is OK to drive it by yourself.

·
Registered
160 Posts
:cryin: OK! Here it is. I bought my 2006 Pontiac Solstice almost a month ago with 21,000 miles on it. I LOVE IT! All of a sudden the DIC tells me Service air bag......the passenger air bag light is OFF and so is the passenger no seat belt light when a passenger sits in the seat. Took it to the place of purchace and of course it's not covered under the used car warenty and want $680.77 PLUS TAX to fix it. :willy: First question. Will GM honor this since I read on the fourm that it is a common problem not only with Solstice but with Corvettes and Caddy's. Second question. Does anyone know if my Solstice is in any kind of GM warrenty? I am not the original owner but the miles are so low a mega auto company like GM, should stand behind their product and fix it. But then again axing Oldsmobile and Pontiac and NOT Buick has me worried. Question #3. Is it easy enough to fix yourself ? :(
warr a nty

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Your 2006 Solstice only had a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty, whichever came first. The passenger seat sensor is not covered under any kind of extended warranty. Search the forum for an answer as to whether it is repairable. I know the part is quite expensive.

:(:willy::brentil:
I must have had a good extended warranty, we just had ours fixed a week before the Dells under our extended warranty purchased when the car was new. Too bad it got hit in the dealer parking lot. :brentil:

·
Registered
433 Posts
I do apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. As stated, the Bumper to Bumper Warranty for 2006 Pontiac vehicles was 3 years/36,000 miles. It is up to the dealers if they are willing or able to offer any kind of assistance. I am attaching a tool designed by GM for vehicle owners. There is access to a number of manuals, dealer locator, history of dealer services performed, etc. Please contact us if you any concerns. I hope your situation is resolved quickly.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Pontiac Owner Resources and Information | Pontiac

1 - 10 of 10 Posts