Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally followed up with the recall on the passenger restraint system in May. Barely anyone rides with me. Now the passenger airbag light will not light and the seatbelt on the display will not go off. Looked for disconnections, everything connected around seat. Seat belt buckled. Any clues out there?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,245 Posts
I would be back on the dealers door step letting them get it right.
What 44thSKY said above. The recall has a 12 month warranty on it, take it back and have it done correctly. (Perhaps take it to a different "certified" GM dealer, I never knew GM dealers were "certified".)

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
6,055 Posts
Finally followed up with the recall on the passenger restraint system in May. Barely anyone rides with me. Now the passenger airbag light will not light and the seatbelt on the display will not go off. Looked for disconnections, everything connected around seat. Seat belt buckled. Any clues out there?
Did the problem exist from the time it left the dealer, or did it start later?
There are two airbag lights, one for ON and one for OFF. Do either of them work? What about when you power on the car?
What happens when you unlatch the seatbelt?
Do you have a SERVICE AIRBAG message in the DIC or and airbag warning light in the center of the gauge cluster?

There are two connectors associated with the Passenger Presence Sensor. One is on the harness that comes out of the floor, connects to the seat harness, and includes wiring for the seatbelt latch. It lays on the floor and is relatively accessible. The other is clipped to the seat frame and is solely for the PPS. It is only really accessible with the seat unbolted from the floor.

From the description it appears to me that one of the connectors may be disconnected. The airbag on/off lights are controlled directly by the PPS, so if neither is on is likely that a connection is not made. Failure of the PPS has always (to my knowledge) resulted in the airbag OFF light being lit.

If unlatching the seatbelt makes a change it is the second connector, otherwise it could be either.

·
Registered
419 Posts
JohnWR, I agree with your analysis, probably something unplugged. My SKY had no lights at all on the PPS from the time I bought the car. My local shop did a Tech 2 (I believe) analysis and told me my airbag was working fine that I just needed a new status light indicator strip. Being new to the car, I took their recommendation under advisement at a repair cost quote of $103. Later, I decided I'll forget the lights. There was NOT a DIC error light, so forget it. Later in a different thread a suggestion was made about the lamp strip possibly being unplugged. And, if my memory is even close, I believe it was you that gave me a detailed explanation of how to remove the light status strip. I did that and found the status light connecting wire laying in behind the lamp UNPLUGGED. I plugged it in and the status lamps still work A-OK today. I've called for an appointment at a dealership on the RECALL, but for whatever reason haven't heard back so will have to follow-up this Fall. Thanks John (and kudos to this forum) :dthumbs:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, sigh. I guess you are right... Just checked with my local dealer and apparently my car is not affected of that recall. Opel GT 2007

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,245 Posts
Yes, sigh. I guess you are right... Just checked with my local dealer and apparently my car is not affected of that recall. Opel GT 2007
OK, if Opel had still been a GM brand when the recall was announced, it most likely would have been included in the recall, however, since Opel is now owned by Groupe PSA, it isn't included in the recall. Yet you have the same PPS as the rest of the Kappas, which have been recalled.

It appears there is an Irish company that is making a bypass switch that works: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/2152541-post11.html AIRBAG360

Good luck!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, :thumbs:
I found the emulator here: https://airbag360.com/opel-gt-passenger-airbag-seat-occupancy-sensor---emulator-587-p.asp

Very good to have the day that the PPS dies, no reason to do anything before that. :)

I guess it is like you say, the recall is not active on the Opel yet. I contacted the reseller and they could see on my registration that the keys and ignition lock should be changed so I will do that anyway, who knows the PPS recall might show up here in Europe too in the future.

//Kjelle

OK, if Opel had still been a GM brand when the recall was announced, it most likely would have been included in the recall, however, since Opel is now owned by Groupe PSA, it isn't included in the recall. Yet you have the same PPS as the rest of the Kappas, which have been recalled.

It appears there is an Irish company that is making a bypass switch that works: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/2152541-post11.html AIRBAG360

Good luck!

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Yesterday I saw one of those lawyer adds on tv about contacting them if you have been in an accident and your airbag didn't function. There was a list of GM cars that included the Solstice and the Sky. FYI only.

·
Super Moderator
6,055 Posts
Because it is much, much more complicated than that. The PPS actually communicates on the GMLAN, for what it's worth.

:dunno:

Just a minor correction: The PPS communicates with the airbag controller over a dedicated serial data line, and not the GMLAN. The controller does use GMLAN to communicate with the rest of the car, however.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an appt this week with the dealer due to time worked on. The passenger seatbelt sign blinks then stays on and passenger airbag lights with power then goes off. The seat belt has no influence buckled or unbuckled. So will check the DIC, then will remove the seat to check connections. So thanks everyone. got a little work to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had it at the Gm garage today. It was the part or parts they worked on and new parts are on order for another day, They were vague where the problem was but indicated the seat. So will get back in a couple weeks. If you don't know it yet ordered parts on a recall is a lengthy situation. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas and the brainstorming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well had a GM dealer checked it out(the one that did the work) and yes it was the parts they replaced. THey only indicated the seat. Would not get specific with me. but then now you only talk to the consultant never the priviledge of talking to the guys who actually fix things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts