Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a lady in my life, the passenger seat belt is getting used more showing an issue. It doesn't like to release its self to be pulled out and buckled, maybe about 1-2 inches of play before it locks it down. This causes me to get out, go around the car and yank at it sporatically until it releases and can be buckled. Any ideas? I did get in the crash recently but I had no passenger at the time and no airbags deployed and my seat belt didn't fire off either.(The passenger side will still eventually release so wouldn't be the firing lock mechanism?) :willy::willy::willy::willy::willy::cryin:

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The seatbelt has an inertia lock on it. Basically a weight that senses Hugh acceleration like in a crash, and mechanically locks the belt at the take up reel. It's possible that your incident affected the lock.

The seatbelt is mounted in the trunk behind the seat. You can check it for operation or even replace it. It's only a couple of bolts.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Hugh Acceleration? Huge Deceleration?

As Rob said, the inertia device may have been affected by the collision. Try driving really fast in reverse and crashing into something to re-set it.

(Or take Rob's advice and change it out!)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Now that I have a lady in my life, the passenger seat belt is getting used more showing an issue. ...
I'm not sure why you have her in your car at all.

Everyone knows the only reason to have a date in your car is if it had a back seat big enough for two! Using your car for entertainment would only get your spine screwed up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's in the car because I don't want to ride in an Oldsmobile Silhouette.
Rob it's not fully locked up though, it does release, how would one check it? just open trunk, fold top, pull on it?

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
She's in the car because I don't want to ride in an Oldsmobile Silhouette.
Rob it's not fully locked up though, it does release, how would one check it? just open trunk, fold top, pull on it?
I would fully extend and retract the mechanism several times to see if you can free it up as a first step. I will see about getting a detailed
Ok at one tonight

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mom had the Pontiac version, the "Trans Sport" before it went to being called the Montana, was driven on Daytona Speedway before she bought it, its not bad just rather not......

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The seatbelt mechanism is bolted to the back side of the cockpit rear wall. Its under the top canvas. To get access it looks like the top must be in the trunk and you can reach down along the front edge of the trunk to gain access.

I took a couple of quick pics from the manual this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Probably easier to get at from INside the cockpit, but you'll have to pop the waterfall out first. See the retractor at far left, here...

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Probably easier to get at from INside the cockpit, but you'll have to pop the waterfall out first. See the retractor at far left, here...

I agree . .. again . . .

But it looks like if you are accessing the mounting bolt its from the rear??

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I agree . .. again . . .

But it looks like if you are accessing the mounting bolt its from the rear??
Actually, no. The only way to access the mounting bolt is from inside the car. Look at your first manual pic - bolt is #3. Looks like it's a Torx bolt - visible in the photo I posted, just to the right of the seat belt catch.

Better pic here of the driver side (top right):

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what is all required to remove the waterfall? might replace both while im at it, kinda have to feed mine back in to get it to retract all the way

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Put both seats forward.
Grasp and firmly pull up on the door sills. They are held with clips and will pop straight up and out.

Grab the bottom forward edge of rage rear corner pieces that mate with the back edge of the door and the now removed sills. Pull outward to release the clips holding the trim to the car

Exercise some caution as the speaker wire needs to be unplugged in order to remove the corner panel pieces.

Pull gently upwards on the rear edge of the center console. It will rotate forward and upward, sliding off the parking brake hande. It's retained at the rear be clips and at the front be tabs. Be careful with the tabs as they can break

Grab the top corner of the waterfall panel and pull it out and away from the back wall of the cockpit. All held with clips.

And there you are

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright guys knock on some wood, I think I fixed the issue......I did robs first suggestion of pulling it all the way out and retracting it a couple times......after 10+ minutes of trying to get it to release. Did it 10 times in a row without it catching. Ill have to see if it reacts differently if not pulled all the way out when my lady rides in it again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts