Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question on a recent problem. When I pop my turnk and both of the buttresses are suppose to go up, the passenger side is sticking sometimes (mostly all the time). I have noticed that there is a small bit of rust on the post that is attached to the butress. The driver's side works fine all the time. Just curious to hear feedback from other members to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. Hope everyone is enjoying their Solstices or at least finding out where their Solstice is located!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I don't have the issue, but I have rust on both buttress posts though like you mentioned. Think it has to do with whatever coating goes on them is quickly rubbed off from the constant use, so they rust easily. Was trying to think of a way to protect them.

I suggest a trip to the dealer, sounds like a mechanicle issue.

·
Registered
259 Posts
mine too

passenger fb sticks... have not yet been back to dealer...

Also passenger door set too low, does not open properly... trunk looks a little off on alignment (might not mess with this)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Our passenger side buttress stuck all the time....last week, when Jacqui came home I noticed the silver hole protector disk was just sitting loose on the rear deck....I put it in place and closed the roof...(the disk is just held on with adhesive) knowing it was unattached we would just have to remove it when the top was down until we could get to the dealer, any way, it seems to have reattached itself, atleast for now, and the buttress no longer sticks.....I would assume the sticking is caused by a misalignment of that disk....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Problems......

Backstage said:
passenger fb sticks... have not yet been back to dealer...

Also passenger door set too low, does not open properly... trunk looks a little off on alignment (might not mess with this)
Is your car a 1st 1000? Hope these are earlier problems during production.
:yawn:

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

You just brought to light a fear of mine. What happens if the "automatic" release of the buttresses, with the key fob or glove box button, doesn't work? How would you ever get into the trunk?

Mine work fine but the thought of them not working properly made me wonder.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
CanSol said:
You just brought to light a fear of mine. What happens if the "automatic" release of the buttresses, with the key fob or glove box button, doesn't work? How would you ever get into the trunk?

CanSol brings up an excellent point. I have had several cars with automatic trunk release for years and have never had them fail.

However, with my Thunderbird there was a relay problem that kept the rear defroster on, and caused a battery drain resulting in a dead battery. Battery in a T-bird (2004) is in the trunk. No key access on the trunk lid. See the problem.

Fortunately there is also a mechanical release that uses a key behind the drivers seat. Without battery power, it is the only way to get into the trunk.

I wonder what the contingency plan is if the auto open fails. Maybe access through the cubby door??

Access to trunk is one thing, but you may need to get to the top in a hurry sometime.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
CanSol said:

I guess you drive it to the dealership.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Glove box button??? Wow...I must of missed this one...where exactly is the button?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LUVnSOL said:
brentil how about clear fingernail polish on area rubbed off????
That would probably work, but for only a short time like what was on there already. They really should be replaced with something that wont rust in the first place. Might be a good aftermarket idea.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
Glove box button??? Wow...I must of missed this one...where exactly is the button?
Open the glove box and look at it on level with it open. Along the top edge you'll see a big grey button I think, it'll open the trunk. It's how people without the power package open their trunks and undo the buttresses.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
franklic said:
A question on a recent problem. When I pop my turnk and both of the buttresses are suppose to go up, the passenger side is sticking sometimes (mostly all the time). I have noticed that there is a small bit of rust on the post that is attached to the butress. The driver's side works fine all the time. Just curious to hear feedback from other members to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. Hope everyone is enjoying their Solstices or at least finding out where their Solstice is located!
WD40 WILL TAKE CAR OF STICKING AND RUST. apply as needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts