Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 08 GXP that had 4,229 miles... Was driven approx 800 miles in last 4 years.. I took it in two weeks ago for an Emissions test and did not pass, failed on Readiness.. Read several posts and followed a set procedure, did this last weekend and this weekend ( travel a lot so hard to do during the week ) Approx 20 miles each trip, some interstate , back roads, few stop lights, turn on A/C, etc...never over 70 mph... Took it back and still did not pass on Catalyst and Evaporative..guy that runs the test said take it for like 100-150 mile run on the interstate, but do not go over 70 mph...not critical yet but want to register soon.

Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
First off the advice that you got from the emissions station guy is worthless what you need to do is run the car till it gets up to normal operating temperature up here in Ohio it's usually around 10 to 15 miles in the spring then shut it off run it for another 10 to 15 miles and shut it off repeat this procedure 10 times to be on the safe side this allows the ECM to relearn and set the emissions controls .I got this advice from my local GM dealer as I ran into this more than once as my car is stored for the winter. Make sure your car is totally warmed up before you take it in and fill the tank with fresh gas .

·
Happily In The Club
563 Posts
I live in Atlanta and had my Oldsmobile fail emissions after it had been sitting for a long time. I don't doubt what Sting Ya says but I took the "drive it a bunch" approach (drove to Athens and back a couple times on 316) and it then passed. The unnerving part for me was that I was doing all that driving on the interstate with expired tags...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just bought an 08 GXP that had 4,229 miles... Was driven approx 800 miles in last 4 years.. I took it in two weeks ago for an Emissions test and did not pass, failed on Readiness.. Read several posts and followed a set procedure, did this last weekend and this weekend ( travel a lot so hard to do during the week ) Approx 20 miles each trip, some interstate , back roads, few stop lights, turn on A/C, etc...never over 70 mph... Took it back and still did not pass on Catalyst and Evaporative..guy that runs the test said take it for like 100-150 mile run on the interstate, but do not go over 70 mph...not critical yet but want to register soon.

Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated.

Mark
I live in California and my mother had the same problem after I fixed her car and reset the ECU. It took her a week of drive back and forth to work (about 15 miles each way) to pass the thresholds. No special technique just drive it everyday for a week and you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I totally agree with Sting.... I do have some questions....how many miles have you driven in between it sitting? How long does it sit? How often do you start it? Is the car tuned by an aftermarket tuner... GMPP, Trifecta, Wester??? I think you may have a CEL that's ready to come on.... You aren't driving the car enough for the CEL to come on, but it has "tripped" a code that is being held and waiting for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ghost....Has NOT been tuned by an after market tuner....Sat , 1/30 , 15 miles, Sun 1/31, 20 miles....sat during the week, started each night....Sat , 2/6, 20 miles, Sunday, 2/7 20 miles, Monday, 2/8, approx. 8 miles....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts